SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Type 2, exercise, & diet (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=130190)

Tycon 26 June 2017 21:17

Type 2, exercise, & diet

A funny thing happened at work the other day! To make up for having to hang-up my tool-belt in favor of a miserable 6x6 cubicle existance, I've been enjoying our company-wide roadwork competition. It's a total-miles competition, so I combine walking and running. At age 55, I'm not in better shape than the pampered young millennial engineers....I just out-work them with a consistent 8-10 miles/day of walk-run intervals.

SO, I'm back into good shape and decided to take advantage of our company "Health Screening" thinking my numbers would be GREAT! Hell, I'm down 17lbs in the last 9 weeks from the exercise, and that's been while eating pretty much anything I want.

SURPRISE! Mr. Tycon, YOU NEED TO GET TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM RIGHT NOW. It seems my numbers weren't quite so good as I thought, with the Blood Glucose of 465. They informed me that was coma/stroke territory, and the triglycerides of 520 wasn't too great either. Total Cholesterol of 237. HDL OF 39.

Drove myself to the ER, and they checked and in addition my blood pressure was up to 170ish/100 range from my usual borderline 140/88. They gave me 1000mg of Metformin and 2 full bags of fluids. I'm not sure where that went cuz I drink >1gal/day to stay hydrated for the roadwork. In about 3hrs the glucose was down to about 280 and they released me with a prescription for metformin and a follow-up with a primary physician.

I went pretty much Paleo Diet (Meat/Veg) for those 2 weeks (and now), and watched it slowly drop to 119 just in time for the follow-up appointment. Continued me on diet/exercise/metformin, and added a low-dose BP pill, which has brought that down to 120/70 on the button.

The strange part is the exercise now causes me more soreness.
Where I was doing 8-10 miles with very little soreness, I notice now even just 4-5 miles results in more legs/feet soreness.

Any type2's have to modify diet/exercise for similar reasons? This sucks. I was easily putting in the miles, and I felt fine. Now, half the miles and I hurt. WTF!?

Tycon 26 June 2017 21:49

I may have to go all alkaline-vegan diet to keep up the miles without the excessive soreness. F#@k.

Fubar 27 June 2017 09:17

Glad you got checked out. I'm fighting the same issues.

bobmueller 27 June 2017 10:55

Check out reddit.com/r/keto and reddit.com/r/ketorecipes. Sounds like you're already on the right track. The keto diet is an extension of the paleo idea. Hi fat, low carb and lots of protein. I jumped on it at the beginning of the year and dropped my HbA1c by 2 full points in three months.

Speaking of which, what IS your HbA1c? They should have run one. If they haven't, you can get a home test from Walmart. Did they give you a meter and testing supplies? WM also has those without a scrip for a reasonable price, in their Relion brand.

I noticed when they upped my BP meds after my cardiac episode three years ago that I'm now getting more tingling in the extremities like they're "falling asleep" fast than they used to.

rhea 27 June 2017 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmueller (Post 1058657491)
Check out reddit.com/r/keto and reddit.com/r/ketorecipes. Sounds like you're already on the right track. The keto diet is an extension of the paleo idea. Hi fat, low carb and lots of protein. I jumped on it at the beginning of the year and dropped my HbA1c by 2 full points in three months.

Speaking of which, what IS your HbA1c? They should have run one. If they haven't, you can get a home test from Walmart. Did they give you a meter and testing supplies? WM also has those without a scrip for a reasonable price, in their Relion brand.

I noticed when they upped my BP meds after my cardiac episode three years ago that I'm now getting more tingling in the extremities like they're "falling asleep" fast than they used to.

WOW! Thanks for posting! I had a problem with my feet several weeks back that could be related to a high blood sugar event. Problem was that even if I went to the ER, it is doubtful they would run an EMG or HbA1c without cause. I was flat on my back for 3 days and no way to document it. It's service related so that counts for being bedridden. Thankfully, I was on vacation at the time.

I logged in to check out info on something else and saw that my last HbA1c was 1 full point away from being full diabetic reading. That's like 4 points higher than normal.

Raising the service connection rate has NO bearing on this conversation. IF the event was related to high blood sugar, that is everything and I would want to get it on record.

There are lots of things I can do to keep it low and not be flat on my back and until that doesn't work, I will continue to march on. But, for sure I will want to document issues along the way.

I had no idea that Walmart sold a home test. I could get that and THEN go to the ER at VA and ask them to test.

Fast Eddie 27 June 2017 12:35

Well. Well, Interesting how things change when you get older...

Just had my annual physical...

What the doc says:

Glucose 125 diabetic range. Liver and kidney ok. Blood count 17 ok. Cholesterol 192, ldl 117 fair. Goal under 100. psa 0.6 ok. Thyroid ok. Urine good. Will have Michele , our diabetic instructor, contact you to come in for diabetic training. Will get an a1c blood level and decide if pills needed. If diabetes confirmed, will need cholesterol med also since ldl goal under 70 so you would be 50 points hi Need to work on wt and diet and see me in 3 mos for followup.

A year ago over than overweight I had none of these issues

bobmueller 27 June 2017 13:18

If you go on any of the statins, try and watch out for "statin fog." It's a real thing, and I ended up going off my pravastatin with doc's permission, due to the effects it was having on my mind. I couldn't focus on writing at all for months, and didn't connect it to the med until I did a random search for side effects of different meds.

I'll also tell you that many docs will not be thrilled with the keto diet. it's an extremely low-carb diet, like only 35 or fewer grams of carbs per day, where conventional wisdom is up to 45 grams per meal. No joke, when I was put on a diabetic diet at the VA three years ago, my first meal on their diabetic diet was a hamburger and fries. WTF? Carbs in the bun, and carbs in the fries, and no salad dressing on the salad. SMH.

bullet65 27 June 2017 13:50

BOB MUELLER, or any medical types, I was just reading about the statin fog(thank you for this ) as I though it was just age. one of the other side effects to statins was the increase risk of high blood sugars and type 2 diabetes. I was put on this med as I am type 2 and my numbers kept getting worse even though I was eating better and lost some weight. I must research this further. please keep the ideas coming.

Gray Rhyno 27 June 2017 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie (Post 1058657505)
A year ago over than overweight I had none of these issues

Weight will drive a lot of these issues. When I lost 40 pounds, all of the bad numbers (BP, cholesterol, etc) turned good.

Fast Eddie 27 June 2017 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno (Post 1058657526)
Weight will drive a lot of these issues. When I lost 40 pounds, all of the bad numbers (BP, cholesterol, etc) turned good.

That's what I am hoping....

Tycon 27 June 2017 21:57

Quote:

I knew this would be a good thread...all stories and info welcome everyone. I know with the way many of us grew up on the American HFCS diet there would be lots to share. I go back for complete blood workup after +30 days of his prescriptions, on July 21, so I'm anxious to see if the diet and blood-sugar control drops the triglycerides or if he adds a cholesterol prescription too. He suspects it's hereditary, and I'll still need some cholest script.

I still haven't fully stabilized, as even stuff like corn or carrots bump it back up to 180-200ish and it takes a couple days of "perfect" low-carb eating (with the metformin, of course) to get it back near 120. Then again, that may not be accurate because they "sneak" so much into food. I'll look into the home A1C test. I got a glucose tester and strips the first day, and usually just test morning fasting level, and sometimes before bed.

Hell, Maybe I'm eating too few carbs (<20g/day on a "perfect" day). But I was going to wait until it stabilized to slowly add some healthy carbs back in...like goddam waffle fries (or not). LOL! If I have to become an alkaline-vegan too, because of the triglycerides...(or some damn wierd metformin acidosis-side-effects)...just go ahead and cut my cajones off right now. I want to get some PH litmus-strips for saliva, but haven't seen them at CVS or Walgreens.

In addition to lean-meat and vegetables, they even say most types of nuts are okay (except my favorite cashews, of course) so I'm trying to find the cheapest Macadamia nuts in bulk. (healthy-fat, right? Like avocados?). F#@k it, if I have to restrict carbs...I'm gonna find other ways to make up for it and spoil myself...even in very small daily amounts. Also taking a good multi, and cal-mag-zink. STILL can't eat enough vegetables as I should...but working on it.

ramzmedic 27 June 2017 22:34

I went through almost all these same problems including passing out standing at the toilet in the morning. A very complicated problem turned out to have a very simple cause; dehydration. My BG was in the 400's at bedtime, which caused me to piss over a gallon all night (measured), which resulted in an orthostatic BP to be 130/90 lying down, 100/77 sitting, then 71/46 standing! The first time this happened, I got so dizzy I could not walk and ultimately passed out in the hallway and had to go to the ER.

Even with my time in the medical field it never occured to me that the connection between BG and BP could be so profound, and the solution was hydration and lower BG.

Tycon 27 June 2017 22:34

I held a gun to the wife, and made her eat Kale, then had her hold the gun on me while I ate some. Three words...FU Kale.

Chard, not so bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzmedic (Post 1058657610)
Even with my time in the medical field it never occured to me that the connection between BG and BP could be so profound, and the solution was hydration and lower BG.

Before the metformin/BP scripts, I pounded easily a gallon a day (usually more), and pissed a lot. Now, on the metformin/BP I'm not as thirsty and I have to force a gallon a day because I refuse to quit the miles/day roadwork...even at 117deg the other day, 111 today...so I know I need it. GOT to get out of that cubicle as much as possible each day, or I will die of chair sickness...thinking of a serious career change ASAP. Maybe EMT-B (or related) at age 55. Something with some fucking soul in the job. Some camaraderie and brotherhood like the military and construction was. Before it's too late, and I become a soul-less zombie fully saturated with the daily "fear" and insecurities like they are. Serious wake-up call.

Fubar 27 June 2017 22:44

Statins..... I'm not a fan and think they cause more problems then they solve.

ramzmedic 27 June 2017 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubar (Post 1058657613)

Fubar...talk about a timely comment! I was put on Lipitor a few weeks ago. After several days of it getting in my system I started waking up as if I was hungover and drunk - literally. It would last until around noon. I'd have that giddy feeling, and my balance was way off. I doubt I could have passed a field sobriety test! Did some research and discovered there is such a thing call "Lipitor drunk" or "statin drunk". Doc put me on another and I still have an odd feeling in the morning that I cannot really explain but nothing near what the Lipitor did to me.

Tycon 27 June 2017 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubar (Post 1058657613)

Our nurse at work had to give me "clearance" to return, and mentioned that a lot of the cholesterol problems clear-up without statins when the blood glucose finally gets under control. I hope so. I know everyone is different, but this is great to share common themes, trouble-shooting. If nothing else it helps form better questions for my next total-15-minutes of the doctor's 80% full-attention.

Tycon 28 June 2017 00:06

Quote:

Bob, thank you for this...this is the hardest part to deal with for me. Proper grocery shopping ideas. It's damn tricky to get it right.

Like a damn full time job.

Devildoc 28 June 2017 09:04

First of all, 465 ain't coma territory. Or stroke, without other factors. That said, it's still really high and ED-worthy.

Your fate is in your hands, and you know what to do. Goon on you for following through and trying to manage it sans medication.

bobmueller 28 June 2017 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tycon (Post 1058657637)
Bob, thank you for this...this is the hardest part to deal with for me. Proper grocery shopping ideas. It's damn tricky to get it right.

Happy to help, man. We're all in this together.

One other resource for recipes: Pinterest. Yeah, seriously. Here's my tiny little keto recipes board. That should be enough of a gateway yo get you to other recipes.

One thing that might help when you're choosing foods is to look at net carbs, not total carbs.

Net carbs = total carbs - dietary fiber.

For example, Mission makes a "carb balance" tortilla. It's 19 g of total carbs. But it's 15 g of dietary fiber, so that works out to 4 g net carbs. I've heard of people cutting up a few of those into chip-sized bites, frying them in olive oil or something, and eating them as a low-carb snack.

sarc88 28 June 2017 18:47

Check out "What the Health" on Netflix re: whole food/plant based diet information. I think its half science, half tinfoil hat, but it provokes some good lines of questioning.