SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

Abu Khalil 6 November 2009 12:38

This week...

The Mother Tongue; English & How It Got That Way, Bill Bryson, 1990

American Lion; Andrew Jackson in the White House, Jon Meacham, 2009

...and the Tractor Supply catalog...

The last shall be first, in completion.

CarbineM1 6 November 2009 12:43

Oldies but goodies

The Miracle of Dunkirk, Walter Lord, 1982

Viet-Nam Witness, Bernard Fall, 1966

The March to Tunis, Alan Moorehead, 1943-65 the trilogy set

Abu Khalil 6 November 2009 12:51

Where & How in the F*** did you find the last referenced piece?

Good on ya' Mate, for that alone.

Cheers...Chuck

Psi Brr 6 November 2009 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPD1280 (Post 1220921)
Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.

How far into the book are you? It's one of the few books I've read multiple times. It never fails to stun me. It's prophetic tone is unnerving.

TPD1280 7 November 2009 00:10

Not far in, the characters are currently at the anniversary party. Rand likes to fill entire pages with adjectives. She writes like a Russian.

You are correct in your assessment of the books prophetic tone. Many of the conversations thus far sound like things I have heard business people and politicians utter in recent times. It is indeed scary.

So was Fahrenheit 451. I just finished that (again) last week.

Dino0311 7 November 2009 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPD1280 (Post 1221264)
Not far in, the characters are currently at the anniversary party. Rand likes to fill entire pages with adjectives. She writes like a Russian.

You are correct in your assessment of the books prophetic tone. Many of the conversations thus far sound like things I have heard business people and politicians utter in recent times. It is indeed scary.

Sadly that is the exact part I'm stalled on. Need to pick it up again.

Abu Khalil 7 November 2009 14:36

Life just seems this way at times...

1 Attachment(s)
...right when you believe you've found the title you were searching for...

adtexan 8 November 2009 02:27

Confessions of An Economic Hitman by John Perkins.

smoked 8 November 2009 17:25

Just finished "For Us, The Living" -- Heinlein.

Interesting social customs that mirror many views expressed here. I'm referring to the sense of personal liberties. A construct that is hard to disagree with.

I wasn't expecting it touching on economics and that bit on the production-consumption cycle is way COOL. Anyone play that out? The economic situation he describes is eye opening (ie. deficit spending, over production, etc.) As is the health care system. I liked his position on how medical care would remain top-notch. Hadn't considered that before. Not so sure I agree with the heritage check thingie but his analogy about 7 guys sharing ownership of car and who would drive was pretty sound.

The issues regarding the banking system was also super damn cool. If he is correct, our entire systems needs a flush.

Perry was ""WINNA WINNA CHICKEN DINNA" at the end of the book. Lucky bastard. :biggrin:

The man had an immensely creative, imaginary and brilliant mind.

Next up "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Starship Troopers"

GPC 2 December 2009 11:15

The Enemies Trilogy by Matthew Bracken.
His bio says he was a UDT/SEAL.Just starting the first book.

TX teacher 7 December 2009 09:56

Masters and Commanders by Andrew Roberts. It's been pretty good so far, although with a little one in the house I'm more prone to getting sleep when I can as opposed to reading.

It's an analysis of the decisions of FDR, Marshall, Churchill and Brooke during WWII. It's also a critique of their relationships with each other and those they worked closely with.

Richard 7 December 2009 13:43

Quote:

Rand likes to fill entire pages with adjectives. She writes like a Russian.
Well...she was born in St. Petersburg...;)

Peters, Ralph. The War In 2020 - and I'm in the part where the heavy CAV RGT is in Russia.

Richard

labman2 7 December 2009 15:46

Executive Outcomes, by Eeben Barlow. Somewhat tough read, really gets into detail on all areas. Great book on EO in Africa, although the constant the "RSA is out to get me" references(although probably very true) got old after a while.

5831lvn 7 December 2009 16:02

Decent into Chaos....and it's beating my ass

CombatMedic1981 7 December 2009 22:26

Guerrilla Warfare by Ernesto Che Guevara

Bearcat06 10 December 2009 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by kifaru (Post 1172374)
I've read this book. Don't waste your money.

I started it...stopped...started and finally finished.

POS....waste of money....

Bearcat06 10 December 2009 18:00

Truman by David McCullough.... again....

wilcoxj12 11 December 2009 02:16

Ordered two of Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" books. My pop loves him. Can't wait to start.

Jong 11 December 2009 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by labman2 (Post 1232929)
Executive Outcomes, by Eeben Barlow. Somewhat tough read, really gets into detail on all areas. Great book on EO in Africa, although the constant the "RSA is out to get me" references(although probably very true) got old after a while.

Just curious as to where you bought it?

TXAggie05 11 December 2009 11:30

Fernand Braudel - Civilization and Capitalism vol 1, "The Structures of Everyday Life"