SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Technology and Communications (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   FYI, VPN use during travel, Netflix for example (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=136342)

Steve40th 18 May 2020 13:03

FYI, VPN use during travel, Netflix for example

I was recently in Bahrain, and since I always use Nord VPN automatically, I was watching Netflix. I was logged into UK.
I noticed one show my daughter watches, Rick and Morty, was available. Didnt think much of it.
But, apparently you get different shows in different countrys. Did not know this..
Just thought I would pass this on. I am sure many are aware, but I wasnt.

Maverick 18 May 2020 13:23

This is something that I'd noticed while I was in Hong Kong last year. Season 4 (I think) of "Better Call Saul," was available on Netflix in Hong Kong, but when I came back to the US, the season wasn't available. There are definitely some differences in what you can find in different countries around the world.

Hot Mess 18 May 2020 20:51

Yep, same when I lived in Germany.

assertnull 21 May 2020 22:40

A VPN back to your house is handy for similar reasons

I use Sling for TV. Back in late 2016, early 2017, I had to spend about a week out of of every month in sunny warm England (why? I'm cursed. Lived over there 2007-2009, not a fan). Their TV is awful. And Sling doesn't work there.

Tunnelblick to the house, fire up Sling, more than sufficient speed to watch, even with the ~130ms latency from London to Houston.

I get 50/10Mbit dl/ul guaranteed from Comcast Business, and Sling can work as low as 3Mbit (you can adjust resolution settings specifically for your connection, which is nice).

No free South Park in the UK either.

MizzouMP 24 May 2020 03:04

I use SurfShark in Europe and it worked great to the point I still use it in the States.

If you monkey with it and clear out your browser, one can different airfare and hotel rates based on the location you are saying you are at.

The Fat Guy 24 May 2020 09:53

Its just like McDonalds tastes differently in different countries. Not every palate has an American taste as not every society enjoys American entertainment. I would think by design, you would get the site from the country the VPN lands in?

18C4V 24 May 2020 10:01

It's not the VPN, it's the Router...that can creates the issues or that's what the barracks tech guys say.

When I first got to Germany, I couldn't watch Disney Plus, but I could watch Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. This was done with VPN and our barracks tech guys said it was the router that was filtering the VPN regardless of what VPN you were using. So...I was given options...but then..Disney Plus opened up in Germany so now it's a moot point.

CV 24 May 2020 10:38

VPN and Router operate around different layers of the stack, and shouldn’t matter. Using a VPN to connect to your home country should open up options available to that region. Caveat being if the VPN termination point is somehow blacklisted (uncommon).