SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   SNL mocked my appearance. Here’s why I didn’t demand an apology. (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=133542)

Justaclerk 13 November 2018 21:31

SNL mocked my appearance. Here’s why I didn’t demand an apology.
 
All I can say is that Congressman-elect Crenshaw is a man of class and dignity and Texas 2nd should be proud to have such a statesman representing them. Bravo Zulu, SEAL.

Link to article here.

Link to his appearance here.

Quote:

The past couple of weeks have been unusual for me, to say the least. After a year of hard campaigning for Congress in Texas and gradually entering the public sphere, I was hit by a sudden, blinding spotlight. But I have no complaints — it wasn’t as bad as some other challenges I’ve faced, like a sudden, blinding IED explosion. (See what I did there? “Saturday Night Live” has created a comedic monster.)

On the Nov. 3 show, SNL’s Pete Davidson mocked my appearance — “he lost his eye in war . . . or whatever,” Davidson said, referring to the eye patch I wear. His line about my looking like a “hit man in a porno movie” was significantly less infuriating, albeit a little strange. I woke up on the Sunday morning after the show to hundreds of texts about what Davidson had said. A lot of America wasn’t happy. People thought some lines still shouldn’t be crossed.

I agreed. But I also could not help but note that this was another chapter in a phenomenon that has taken complete control of the national discourse: outrage culture. It seems like every not-so-carefully-worded public misstep must be punished to the fullest extent, replete with soapbox lectures and demands for apologies. Anyone who doesn’t show the expected level of outrage will be labeled a coward or an apologist for bad behavior. I get the feeling that regular, hard-working, generally unoffended Americans sigh with exhaustion — daily.

hawkdrver 13 November 2018 21:55

Another great line: "I would appreciate it if everyone would stop looking for reasons to be offended."

Wouldn't it be nice if he was able to infect some of his colleagues with that worldview.

rubberneck 13 November 2018 22:48

I wish I could have voted for him. He's one of the few elected officials that really seems to understand it.cWe need more men and women, from both parties, that can disagree without being disagreeable.

litepath 14 November 2018 00:34

I hate lazy people. Whoever did the live video titles on that sucks.

However LCDR. Crenshaw is a class act.

btq96r 14 November 2018 03:01

Good to see someone taking the high road. Way to set the proper example, Congressman-Elect.

Hawkeye175 14 November 2018 14:43

These people that got offended on his behalf don't see the irony that they constantly complain about "liberal snowflakes" getting their feelings hurt and then they turn around and do the same thing. How about focusing on someone actually disrespectful, in a non-joking way, to service members, like the current Commander in Chief.

KidA 14 November 2018 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye175 (Post 1058762405)
These people that got offended on his behalf don't see the irony that they constantly complain about "liberal snowflakes" getting their feelings hurt and then they turn around and do the same thing. How about focusing on someone actually disrespectful, in a non-joking way, to service members, like the current Commander in Chief.

Ha.

I have to hide all my "vet shit" lest someone think I'm one of those perpetually butthurt Vets they see all over social media "demanding" respect for service and putting vets up on some kind of worship pedestal. Vets getting offended on "behalf" of other vets is the gayest thing ever. Hell they are worse than snowflakes because they should know better.

Hawkeye175 14 November 2018 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058762407)
Ha.

I have to hide all my "vet shit" lest someone think I'm one of those perpetually butthurt Vets they see all over social media "demanding" respect for service and putting vets up on some kind of worship pedestal. Vets getting offended on "behalf" of other vets is the gayest thing ever. Hell they are worse than snowflakes because they should know better.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Part of the freedom that soldiers fight to protect is the freedom to disagree. I don't want to force people to bow and scrape for vets, that is the most un-American thing you could possibly encourage.

Justaclerk 14 November 2018 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye175 (Post 1058762405)
These people that got offended on his behalf don't see the irony that they constantly complain about "liberal snowflakes" getting their feelings hurt and then they turn around and do the same thing. How about focusing on someone actually disrespectful, in a non-joking way, to service members, like the current Commander in Chief.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058762407)
Ha.

I have to hide all my "vet shit" lest someone think I'm one of those perpetually butthurt Vets they see all over social media "demanding" respect for service and putting vets up on some kind of worship pedestal. Vets getting offended on "behalf" of other vets is the gayest thing ever. Hell they are worse than snowflakes because they should know better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye175 (Post 1058762419)
Couldn't have said it better myself. Part of the freedom that soldiers fight to protect is the freedom to disagree. I don't want to force people to bow and scrape for vets, that is the most un-American thing you could possibly encourage.

About a year ago, RangerUp encapsulated these thoughts in a video that left nobody unscathed.

Atrax 14 November 2018 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye175 (Post 1058762405)
These people that got offended on his behalf don't see the irony that they constantly complain about "liberal snowflakes" getting their feelings hurt and then they turn around and do the same thing. How about focusing on someone actually disrespectful, in a non-joking way, to service members, like the current Commander in Chief.

Well put. I regularly have this same discussion with a good friend, which almost always ends with him being offended and using the word "libtard" or "shitlib" like he gets a dollar every time he does. Civil discourse is something sorely lacking in this country.

ramzmedic 14 November 2018 20:09

This is probably a huge story on Facebook.

Shadow 14 November 2018 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzmedic (Post 1058762489)

This is probably a huge story on Facebook.

LMMFAO... :biggrin:

Stretch 14 November 2018 20:19

I get the feeling that regular, hard-working, generally unoffended Americans sigh with exhaustion — daily.

I’m right there.

mike76233 14 November 2018 20:47

For those of you who care about civil discourse, What will be accomplished by being civil towards those who will continue to erode and destroy my 2nd amendment and create a borderless state?

Fubar 14 November 2018 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramzmedic (Post 1058762489)
This is probably a huge story on Facebook.

Funny - but you're one to talk with the FBish bullshit you sometimes post.

Cujo 15 November 2018 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fubar (Post 1058762501)
Funny - but you're one to talk with the FBish bullshit you sometimes post.

Think he meant he was 'counseled' on posting this a week or so ago...

t10Guy 15 November 2018 12:59

Real men dont have thin skin... Besides with the shit talking and fun making at a SEAL Team platoon (or most small military units) you grow some skin or you dont last I am sure. This stud probably said "oh, fuck that little beta troll male" and went back to his business.... its everyone else looking for something to gripe abt.

The world needs more people to chill the fuck out.

KidA 15 November 2018 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by t10Guy (Post 1058762577)

The world needs more people to chill the fuck out.

Yep. The worst trend of the past 20 years is people taking offense on behalf of other people, or feeling the need to defend other people, especially their chosen politicians/political party.

Hawkeye175 15 November 2018 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by t10Guy (Post 1058762577)
Real men dont have thin skin... Besides with the shit talking and fun making at a SEAL Team platoon (or most small military units) you grow some skin or you dont last I am sure. This stud probably said "oh, fuck that little beta troll male" and went back to his business.... its everyone else looking for something to gripe abt.

The world needs more people to chill the fuck out.

He actually went on SNL to make a response to all of the outraged people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKaakjMVtyE

Gumby2/6 15 November 2018 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cujo (Post 1058762548)
Think he meant he was 'counseled' on posting this a week or so ago...

Hopefully it was "wall to wall".;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 20:47.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved