SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Law Enforcement (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Australian woman shot after dialing 911 (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=130301)

leopardprey 18 July 2017 04:52

Australian woman shot after dialing 911

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5b3c3f618be8

Very disturbing. Lot of chatter now as the officer who pulled the trigger, was a Somali American, named Mohamed. Lot os praise about when he was hired, "Diversity", "look the first Muslim refugee hired for our police dept, see we are so diverse and tolerant!"

Sounds like lowered standards to promote "diversity"? Now, you have a cop, on two years, who was scared, incompetent, should probably have never been hired. Lets see if the dept. and the criminal justice system rises to the occasion and does what is right.

Stories like this get my blood boiling.

Tracy 18 July 2017 07:30

From what I've read so far, I'm thinking it was a negligent discharge. ND happen from time to time, but a fatality is pretty rare. I don't see ethnicity, or ideology, playing a role in this particular incident.

Rest in Peace Ma'am, and my condolences to the victim's family.

Whitebean54 18 July 2017 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy (Post 1058660840)
From what I've read so far, I'm thinking it was a negligent discharge. ND happen from time to time, but a fatality is pretty rare. I don't see ethnicity, or ideology, playing a role in this particular incident.

Rest in Peace Ma'am, and my condolences to the victim's family.

I think idiocy is the primary cause here. He should pay for it like anyone else.

Agoge 18 July 2017 08:09

Rest In Peace, Ms. Damond! My sincerest condolences to her family.

GPC 18 July 2017 09:21

What a tragedy.

Chucko 18 July 2017 12:15

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/18...community.html

How in the world can a passenger fire a round through the drivers door hitting a woman standing by the door talking to the driver. If that actually was the events he should be tared and feathered.

osubuckeye762 18 July 2017 12:38

Rest In Peace, and condolences to the family.

I would like to hear the other Officers description of what went down.

The bullet had to pass very close to the other Officer.

Incidents like these just p*#s me off.

If you are that scared to have a citizen approach you while you are sitting in your vehicle; that you need to take your duty weapon out, then get out of the freaking car. (I hope that reads right)

Expatmedic 18 July 2017 12:57

As reported body cameras turned off.

Agoge 18 July 2017 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucko (Post 1058660881)
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/18...community.html

How in the world can a passenger fire a round through the drivers door hitting a woman standing by the door talking to the driver. If that actually was the events he should be tared and feathered.

To answer your question...it can be done very easily! At this point - with the information that was have those far - I agree with Tracy's assessment!

Agoge 18 July 2017 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 (Post 1058660889)
If you are that scared to have a citizen approach you while you are sitting in your vehicle; that you need to take your duty weapon out, then get out of the freaking car. (I hope that reads right)

I'm not ready yet to say he did it out of "fear." There are multiple reasons he could have had his weapon out. We have very little information at this point.

jerome 19 July 2017 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by osubuckeye762 (Post 1058660889)

You mean like a cute blonde yoga instructor in pajamas.

gavin 19 July 2017 09:57

I'm glad SOCNET doesn't serve as a forum for speculation and uninformed armchair quarterbacking...oh...nevermind...

Spinner 19 July 2017 14:24

The agency investigating the shooting stated that the officer who was driving the squad heard a loud sound, which startled him, and it was after the sound that the woman approached their vehicle.

A loud sound could be just about anything. A door slamming, maybe somebody knocked over a trash can, etc.

They went on to state that the woman was shot when she approached their car, subsequent to the sound they heard. Perhaps the loud sound put the officer on edge, his startle reaction was in response to the woman suddenly appearing next to the car.

As Tracy said, most likely an ND, but if the ND were to occur due to being startled, wouldn't it happen immediately when you were startled by the noise? Also, the initial report only stated that Harrity, the driver, was startled. Didn't say anything about Noor being startled.

Given there is no dashcam or body cams, it will be interesting to see how this whole incident gets spun.

Perhaps one of the bigger issues for the Minneapolis PD, as it is with any department of any size, is the wisdom of pairing an officer with about 2 years of experience under his belt with an officer who has even less time on the job than that.

Massgrunt 19 July 2017 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinner (Post 1058661030)
Perhaps one of the bigger issues for the Minneapolis PD, as it is with any department of any size, is the wisdom of pairing an officer with about 2 years of experience under his belt with an officer who has even less time on the job than that.

I generally agree but I was a field training officer with about two years on the job. Obviously my past professional experience and life experience isn't typical but it happens. Several of my buddies did the training not too long after me. All of them are older than your average new officer with experience before coming here, plus we're busy busy busy so 3-4 years here is a seasoned vet when compared to some other places. No idea what the deal is with these two guys. Maybe Harrity was with Noor for a reason?

I'm going to bookmark this thread for the next time someone says all cops defend other cops all the time.

Spinner 19 July 2017 14:54

That's true, and it could be that Minneapolis is like a lot of departments around the country that are both trending younger and less experienced and perhaps also experiencing manpower issues.

The lawyer for at least one of the cops is raising the defense now that they could have been fearing an ambush. Which, in a sense, is true. But then I suppose the same could be said for any police officer in the country, especially these days.

Agoge 19 July 2017 14:56

Fearing an ambush would/could affect one's tactics upon arrival, etc., but should not be utilized as an excuse for a bad action...if that's what happened.

ramzmedic 19 July 2017 16:34

Being here in the Cities for a week I can tell you this is all anyone can talk about! I agree the most probable "loud noise" was a garbage can being knocked over or the lid being dropped.

But none of that matters. Officer Noor has now pulled the diversity card.

Group9 19 July 2017 16:43

When we start rioting and looting over this, I claim dibs on the Academy Sports.

CB 19 July 2017 16:50

Quote:

At least he was paired with another officer. In may places he would be riding solo as soon as he finished up six months ~ one year with his FTO.

Massgrunt 19 July 2017 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinner (Post 1058661033)
The lawyer for at least one of the cops is raising the defense now that they could have been fearing an ambush. Which, in a sense, is true. But then I suppose the same could be said for any police officer in the country, especially these days.

Bold strategy.

CB raises a good point. In the vast majority of the country guys are flying solo after six months on the job.