SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Technology and Communications (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Smart Watches (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=131624)

The Fat Guy 25 January 2018 00:29

Smart Watches
 
Anyone have one? I am looking at a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Thoughts? Issues? Worth the Money?

Thanks.

Hoepoe 25 January 2018 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058701283)
Anyone have one? I am looking at a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Thoughts? Issues? Worth the Money?

Thanks.

I love watches, classic, mechanical time pieces.

My day to day watch is my Garmin. It's primarily a sports watch (so the Samsung will be way nicer and way smarter) but my point is that the notifications from a cell phone make it simply extremely useful for day to day wear. If you're going to use the features (at least some of them), it'll be worth it.

H

agonyea 25 January 2018 07:15

My daughter gave me an Apple smart watch. It does a
lot and is water resistance. Not for swimming, but you could be out in the rain with it.
Here is the major, major problem. The Apple watch is "Paired" with only your iPhone . Since I did a update on my iPhone it turned off my wifi on my iPhone, hence my phone can no longer talk to the watch.
I have followed all of the instructions on turning back on the wifi from Apple, and their customer service, short of sending back the iPhone to let them fix the download problem.
I talked to Apple about having their tablets and other devices "pair" with the Apple watch, nothing in response.
Besides this major wifi, problem the watch has a lot of functions , some get stuck open or closed.
Like the watch gives you audio of a man or woman voice, and it will not stop talking at times.
A constant voice of time , of BP, or messages, mail is annoying when you go back to the specific function and it wont turn off.
I have tried to "Pair" this watch up with my wife's iPhone and it refuses to "Pair" up with her iPhone.
Apple customer service is not much help, especially when i read all of the customers complaints on the iPhone and Apple watch system.
My advice is read what customers say about these devices before you buy, beware that some of these customer reviews are generated by Apple!

Chesie 25 January 2018 11:35

I've used the apple watch and several Android watches, but so far they all have the same pitfalls:
1. Too much useless information and gimmicks
2. Hamstrung battery life (they all need to be charged every day to every-other-day
3. They look ghey

The Garmin Fenix watches are different. I currently have the Fenix 5x, and it does everything I want without all the extraneous stuff. It is primarily a fitness tracker (wrist HR, excellent sports metrics), but it also receives notifications from my phone. I can customize exactly what gets sent to my watch and turn off everything else. The battery needs to be charged about once a week, with me actively tracking exercise 6h per week. I use a combination of running, swimming, cycling, ice hockey, rowing, and other gym-type circuit stuff. It tracks all of those very well. It also tracks sleep, overall stress, and recovery after exercise. For people that are deep into their own fitness, there is no other product on the market that is as useful as the Fenix.

Garmin does a good job with software updates and listening to the needs of its customers. If you golf, the golfing app is top-notch. I no longer use a laser rangefinder for shots, as the distance to the green/hazard/relief is just sitting there on my wrist. The watch is more expensive than an apple watch, but in my opinion it is far more useful.

In fact, I have a drawer at home with a Rolex, an Omega, a Fortis and a Breitling that I rarely wear anymore.

Regards,
Danny

morelocks 25 January 2018 12:14

I have a Garmin Vivosmart HR. Purchased to track fitness activities. Refurb cost was $60 and it has held up for over 18 months now.

Simple, straightforward and provides phone notifications as well as limited interaction. Good app on Android. Controls what apps you want notifications as well as your stats.

Waterproof. Good battery life. Recharge it every 3 days but can run for 5 days.

Fast Eddie 25 January 2018 12:54

Have you looked at this as an alternative to a smart watch.

mymotiv.com ?

Since I am a watch hound I never wear the same watch all the time so smart watches don't work for me. I have ordered one of the rings to replace my wedding band. It arrives tomorrow. I'l let you know how well it works.

MixedLoad 25 January 2018 14:18

I have used an Apple Watch for the past two years. I rotate between that, my super simple Tree Hut Design, and my Rolex.

Biggest complaint I have about my Apple Watch is that it doesn't make it through 24 hours of me using it. If they could make the battery life last even 48 hours I would be much more inclined to wear it seven days a week.

Little Fix 25 January 2018 16:08

I hated smartwatches because of the shitty battery life until I went to the Garmin Fenix 3. It goes at least a week with moderate GPS use and full-time phone sync. I hate charging my watch as it's one more cord to tote along and just generally a pain in the ass. I'm still intrigued by the Apple watch and other contenders but until I outlive my Garmin's capabilities I am not seeing the reason to upgrade. When I want to wear a nicer watch than the Garmin a smartwatch isn't what I'd be wearing anyways so that may be a factor if you need to dress up more often.

trident86 25 January 2018 21:50

I'm wearing an issue Garmin Fenix 3. It is large and a bit heavy, but it has GPS mapping, downloadable apps and widgets, alternate watch faces, etc. My wife has a Garmin 735XT, which does all the same things, is lighter, but also tracks heart rate. I would recommend the 735XT over the Fenix 3/3HR/5.

bullet65 26 January 2018 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058701283)
Anyone have one? I am looking at a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Thoughts? Issues? Worth the Money?

Thanks.

tfg, I have been wearing the Samsung gear s3 frontier for about 6 months now, so far it has been good, battery for me last around 3 days,. it keeps good time, I can voice text messages through it, make and answer calls through the phone. I use it to change the songs from my phone. also use it to track heart rate and sp02. (was in the hospital 2 weeks ago from passing out and it is within a couple of beats per min different from hospitals machine and 02 right close too.
I do not wear mine hunting or swimming so do not know how durable for that but I do work in an automotive industry so has some rough times and it has survived.

agonyea 27 January 2018 07:01

Garmin Fenix 5
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here is the new Garmin Fenix 5, and the higher price:

Today at CES 2017, Garmin announced a host of updates to the Fēnix, the company's premium wrist-based training watch.

All of the new Fēnix 5 series watches offer wrist-based heart rate (all have ANT+, and connect to a chest strap that's more accurate for cyclists, and other ANT+ sensors); multi-sport activity tracking with customizable data fields; daily activity and sleep tracking; smartphone alerts, access to Garmin’s Connect IQ library of apps, widgets, data fields, and watch faces; barometric altimeter; and GPS and GLONASS satellite connectivity to limit signal dropouts. All models have a stainless steel case, bezel, and buttons, and are waterproof to 100 meters.




Another new feature for Fēnix 5 is the new quick-change wristband system, appropriately called QuickFit. A range of leather, metal, and silicone bands are available and, of course, are sold separately.

Maps and navigation are the standout features of the $700 Fēnix 5X. It comes preloaded with TOPO maps, routable cycling maps with turn-by-turn directions, and auto-routed round trips for cycling and running. It includes waypoints, points of interest, and 40,000 golf courses. This model also has WiFi connectivity, and a sapphire lens. Claimed battery life is up to 12 days in daily mode, and and 20 hours with GPS connection. With a 51mm case, this is the largest model in the line.

The Fēnix 5S is the smallest watch in the series (42mm case), and is pitched in Garmin's press release as “female friendly” and “small and comfortable for petite wrists.” The 5s and 5 debut a sleeker, more fashionable design than previous Garmin watches. Claimed battery life is up to eight days in daily mode, and up to 13 hours with GPS connection. For $600, it comes in silver with a white, turquoise, or black silicone band. For $100 more, you'll get a sapphire lens and WiFi connectivity. The higher-end model is offered in black with black band, champagne with gray suede band, or champagne with metal band.

With a 47mm case, the Fēnix 5 is the middle child, The feature set is the same as the 5s, but the larger case allows Garmin to stuff in a larger battery. Battery life is up to two weeks in daily mode and 24 hours with GPS enabled. The standard model sells for $600, while the sapphire-lens and WiFi-enhanced model sells for $700.

The Fat Guy 27 January 2018 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by agonyea (Post 1058701311)
My daughter gave me an Apple smart watch. It does a
lot and is water resistance. Not for swimming, but you could be out in the rain with it.
Here is the major, major problem. The Apple watch is "Paired" with only your iPhone . Since I did a update on my iPhone it turned off my wifi on my iPhone, hence my phone can no longer talk to the watch.
I have followed all of the instructions on turning back on the wifi from Apple, and their customer service, short of sending back the iPhone to let them fix the download problem.
I talked to Apple about having their tablets and other devices "pair" with the Apple watch, nothing in response.
Besides this major wifi, problem the watch has a lot of functions , some get stuck open or closed.
Like the watch gives you audio of a man or woman voice, and it will not stop talking at times.
A constant voice of time , of BP, or messages, mail is annoying when you go back to the specific function and it wont turn off.
I have tried to "Pair" this watch up with my wife's iPhone and it refuses to "Pair" up with her iPhone.
Apple customer service is not much help, especially when i read all of the customers complaints on the iPhone and Apple watch system.
My advice is read what customers say about these devices before you buy, beware that some of these customer reviews are generated by Apple!

I think the Samsung has it own sim card and therefore can, but does not need to sync with your phone to make commo. Its more like the 2000's sync your laptop with your desktop and the last decade of syncing your phone or tablet with your LT. Reviews for the Frontier are great, except you have to use BT headset or speaker phone for all of your calls. I am not 100% sure on the sim card, I better check.

The Fat Guy 27 January 2018 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesie (Post 1058701396)
I've used the apple watch and several Android watches, but so far they all have the same pitfalls:
1. Too much useless information and gimmicks
2. Hamstrung battery life (they all need to be charged every day to every-other-day
3. They look ghey

The Garmin Fenix watches are different. I currently have the Fenix 5x, and it does everything I want without all the extraneous stuff. It is primarily a fitness tracker (wrist HR, excellent sports metrics), but it also receives notifications from my phone. I can customize exactly what gets sent to my watch and turn off everything else. The battery needs to be charged about once a week, with me actively tracking exercise 6h per week. I use a combination of running, swimming, cycling, ice hockey, rowing, and other gym-type circuit stuff. It tracks all of those very well. It also tracks sleep, overall stress, and recovery after exercise. For people that are deep into their own fitness, there is no other product on the market that is as useful as the Fenix.

Garmin does a good job with software updates and listening to the needs of its customers. If you golf, the golfing app is top-notch. I no longer use a laser rangefinder for shots, as the distance to the green/hazard/relief is just sitting there on my wrist. The watch is more expensive than an apple watch, but in my opinion it is far more useful.

In fact, I have a drawer at home with a Rolex, an Omega, a Fortis and a Breitling that I rarely wear anymore.

Regards,
Danny

Good review of the Garmin, I will take a look at it. I no longer wear a watch for the sake of telling time, as I always have another device or am in my office. The Frontier is kinda chunky and many. It might even make Hot Mess look more manly!

The Fat Guy 27 January 2018 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie (Post 1058701427)
Have you looked at this as an alternative to a smart watch.

mymotiv.com ?

Since I am a watch hound I never wear the same watch all the time so smart watches don't work for me. I have ordered one of the rings to replace my wedding band. It arrives tomorrow. I'l let you know how well it works.

Massively cool. But I am looking at a contingency for when I forget my phone.

The Fat Guy 27 January 2018 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullet65 (Post 1058701722)
tfg, I have been wearing the Samsung gear s3 frontier for about 6 months now, so far it has been good, battery for me last around 3 days,. it keeps good time, I can voice text messages through it, make and answer calls through the phone. I use it to change the songs from my phone. also use it to track heart rate and sp02. (was in the hospital 2 weeks ago from passing out and it is within a couple of beats per min different from hospitals machine and 02 right close too.
I do not wear mine hunting or swimming so do not know how durable for that but I do work in an automotive industry so has some rough times and it has survived.

Very cool, so no calls solely through the watch?

The Fat Guy 27 January 2018 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by trident86 (Post 1058701581)
I'm wearing an issue Garmin Fenix 3. It is large and a bit heavy, but it has GPS mapping, downloadable apps and widgets, alternate watch faces, etc. My wife has a Garmin 735XT, which does all the same things, is lighter, but also tracks heart rate. I would recommend the 735XT over the Fenix 3/3HR/5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agonyea (Post 1058701963)
Here is the new Garmin Fenix 5, and the higher price:

Today at CES 2017, Garmin announced a host of updates to the Fēnix, the company's premium wrist-based training watch.

All of the new Fēnix 5 series watches offer wrist-based heart rate (all have ANT+, and connect to a chest strap that's more accurate for cyclists, and other ANT+ sensors); multi-sport activity tracking with customizable data fields; daily activity and sleep tracking; smartphone alerts, access to Garmin’s Connect IQ library of apps, widgets, data fields, and watch faces; barometric altimeter; and GPS and GLONASS satellite connectivity to limit signal dropouts. All models have a stainless steel case, bezel, and buttons, and are waterproof to 100 meters.




Another new feature for Fēnix 5 is the new quick-change wristband system, appropriately called QuickFit. A range of leather, metal, and silicone bands are available and, of course, are sold separately.

Maps and navigation are the standout features of the $700 Fēnix 5X. It comes preloaded with TOPO maps, routable cycling maps with turn-by-turn directions, and auto-routed round trips for cycling and running. It includes waypoints, points of interest, and 40,000 golf courses. This model also has WiFi connectivity, and a sapphire lens. Claimed battery life is up to 12 days in daily mode, and and 20 hours with GPS connection. With a 51mm case, this is the largest model in the line.

The Fēnix 5S is the smallest watch in the series (42mm case), and is pitched in Garmin's press release as “female friendly” and “small and comfortable for petite wrists.” The 5s and 5 debut a sleeker, more fashionable design than previous Garmin watches. Claimed battery life is up to eight days in daily mode, and up to 13 hours with GPS connection. For $600, it comes in silver with a white, turquoise, or black silicone band. For $100 more, you'll get a sapphire lens and WiFi connectivity. The higher-end model is offered in black with black band, champagne with gray suede band, or champagne with metal band.

With a 47mm case, the Fēnix 5 is the middle child, The feature set is the same as the 5s, but the larger case allows Garmin to stuff in a larger battery. Battery life is up to two weeks in daily mode and 24 hours with GPS enabled. The standard model sells for $600, while the sapphire-lens and WiFi-enhanced model sells for $700.

Too many good reviews on the Garmin, Thanks Gents. I will have to take a look at these.

Bushman23 13 February 2018 22:46

Not to pile on but the Fenix 3 is the best watch I have owned. Reliable and fairly quick GPS location acquisition, does some of the fancier things that other watches do without all of the fluff. Lastly, now that it is not the newest thing out there the price really can't be beat. I have had the fenix 3 saphire for a year and it has been worth every penny.

gavin 13 February 2018 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058701993)
But I am looking at a contingency for when I forget my phone.

Don't forget your phone. If you forget it, enjoy the lack of interruptions until you have it again.

I'll be the lone tin foil hat guy for this thread. Smart watches are a bad idea.

Gumby2/6 14 February 2018 03:04

Another vote here, for the Fenix line of watches. I wear a Fenix 3 and love it.

JAFO 14 February 2018 10:51

Great review of the Garmin watches. I've had interest in them for awhile now, but did not want to be an early adopter. I'm interested in the Garmin tactix Bravo, as I do more hiking and don't need the golf course functions. Didn't see a temperature function though.

How accurate are the barometer and altimeter readings? I've had issues with the Casio G-Shock (Casio Men's GW-9400-1CR Master of G). The baro & alt are all over the place, and the temp reading is a constant 73*F.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 15:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved