SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

LRS-BUBBA 22 September 2004 22:28

Intelligence In War

-Excellent overview of int gathering, analysis and dissemination throughout history

The Interogators

-By Miller, an incredible look at coalition debrief and interogation. I've worked in a Joint Interogation Facility and with Echos but still learned a great deal about it all.

Victor 25 September 2004 18:26

Well, I've been lurking for awhile, and thought I'd mention a few things in a 'safe' area before recloaking.

Recently finished:
Paladins by Joel Rosenburg.
Cally's War by John Ringo (Those here with ties to the 82nd might enjoy his works... =)

Working on:
The Shadow of Saganami by David Weber
The Rats, the Bats, and the Ugly by Eric Flint and David Freer.

For those who are interested in good quality fiction (in the Science Fiction & Fantasy genres) you might be interested in the Baen Free Library
http://www.baen.com/library/

Well, back to lurk mode
--

KKG 29 September 2004 18:46

More books

Bear Went over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan , Lester W. Grau

Afghan Guerrilla Warfare: In the Words of the Mujahideen Fighters , Ali Ahmad Jalali, Lester W. Grau (formerly: The Other Side of the Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics in the Soviet-Afghan War )

The Soviet-Afghan War: How a Superpower Fought and Lost, Lester W. Grau, Michael A. Gress, Russian General Staff

mara 30 September 2004 05:17

"Jihad: The Path of Political Islam," good read.

KKG 9 October 2004 01:09

line up

Maurice's Strategikon: Handbook of Byzantine Military Strategy, George T. Dennis

The Sling and the Stone: On War in the 21st Century, Thomas X. Hammes

X-Army 9 October 2004 01:46

Cold Zero - Inside the FBI's HRT.

Good book -- filled in a lot of holes re: Ruby Ridge & Waco, also found out that I have something in common with him -- we're both band geeks :) (well, at least both musicians)

><

myclearcreek 9 October 2004 12:14

I am halfway through The Broken Brain and have Brave New Brain sitting in the wings. Both are by Nancy C. Andreasen (CPTAUSRET's other half).

KKG 10 October 2004 00:47

Backorder

Tactics of the Crescent Moon: Muslim Battlefield Methods, H John Poole (releases on 28 Nov 2004)

Marvin Blank 11 October 2004 00:08

"The Mission" by Dana Priest
"Prodigal Soldiers" by James Kitfield
"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole
The 9/11 Commision Report

KKG 21 October 2004 00:39

Huh?

Sun Tzu Was a Sissy : Conquer Your Enemies, Promote Your Friends, and Wage the Real Art of War, by Stanley Bing

bslayer11b 21 October 2004 01:15

Steven Pressfield's new book on Alexander the Great... "The Virtues of War"

collin0321 26 October 2004 00:33

bslayer11B

What do you think of Pressfield's new book so far? My buddy said it's pretty slow reading, at least for the first half. Is it worth buying or just waiting for it at the library?

bslayer11b 27 October 2004 11:51

collin0321

Got sidetracked with school. I'll let you know this weekend. Got mine from the Library too. I always "rent" before I buy...

Husker19D30 27 October 2004 12:25

I went ahead and bought "Virtues of War". It's starting off a bit slow, he always has to name the commanders of every unit in the fight, but I'm only about a third of the way into it. It's not all bad, just alot of details that he could have left aside.

Fergal Keating 30 October 2004 03:59

Hey Rube by Hunter Thompson

Kieerkegard for Beginners by I don’t know right now.

Revelation by Paul

KKG 18 November 2004 03:07

Strategy, F L Hart

Tactics of the Crescent Moon , HJ Poole

KKG 23 November 2004 02:49

Ninja stuff

Mind Manipulation, Dr. Hana Lung, Christopher Prowant

bslayer11b 23 November 2004 05:29

"Leave no man behind" by: David Isby. So far it's pretty good. It is supposed to cover liberation and capture missions, but I think he wanders a bit with a lot of background information about history and command structure. It covers a lot of territory, from Korea, to Son Tay, Rice Bowl, UF, JC, Somalia and so on. He does provide quite a few maps I'd never seen before. Overall, a pretty good read.

David Marcoe 23 November 2004 07:33

Re: Ninja stuff

i just read the first part of that book, and the info on the history of the ninja seems a little sloppy to me. Mind you, I am no expert, but it doesn't jive with other sources I have read.

Quote:

Originally posted by KKG
Mind Manipulation, Dr. Hana Lung, Christopher Prowant

Typhoon 23 November 2004 20:37

Don't have much time to read when school is cranked up, but I'm currently rereading Competitive Leadership: Twelve Principles for Success by Brian Billick and James A. Peterson, Ph.D. Good book for putting together a successful organization.

Quote:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
I recall that the TV series was funny as hell, PP.