SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Lumosity (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=118497)

The Fat Guy 10 December 2013 08:14

Lumosity

I pondered where put this....... but since it directly deals with mental fitness, I posted it here.

Has any one used this site? We all get old and forget things but when I do a round of training on this brain fitness site, it helps me concentrate, remember and have a better attitude towards work.

Granted, it costs money, but if you are having issues remembering etc, try it out. If you do, post your BPI and any feedback on a game that helps you perform better. Go to www.lumosity.com to sign up.

Hopefully. now I won't forget SOTD's screen name.

BPI as of today is 1008.

Godzilla 10 December 2013 08:28

I've used it for several years. Couple sports psych's and performance enhancement coaches I know mentioned this. I downloaded several training 'games' to my Touch. I will occasionally pull it out after a meeting, pt and compare my focus or attention score post said event.

I enjoy it. I like to read books on the topic as well.

The Fat Guy 10 December 2013 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla (Post 1058349848)
I've used it for several years. Couple sports psych's and performance enhancement coaches I know mentioned this. I downloaded several training 'games' to my Touch. I will occasionally pull it out after a meeting, pt and compare my focus or attention score post said event.

I enjoy it. I like to read books on the topic as well.

Whats your latest BPI score?

Bingo King 10 December 2013 10:04

1356....I have been using it for awhile...it is a nice way to take a break to get your brain going again.

Stretch 10 December 2013 10:18

FTG,

How long has you been using this and have you been signed up long enough to determine if you are getting any spam as a result?

All in all, it looks like a good idea...

Thanks,

S

Hot Mess 10 December 2013 13:12

I downloaded it after SLC but haven't gotten that much use out of it. I'm in a JOPP class right now, so my intelligence is likely down from it's already borderline mentally handicap classification.

chokeu2 10 December 2013 13:58

I subscribe and actually enjoy it.

I log in prior to getting down to work in the morning. For me, it's been a great way to get the gray matter functioning a bit better before digging into 1's and 0's.

Ranger5280 10 December 2013 15:31

Concur with chokeu2. I use it for mental gymnastics at the start of my day. I use the free version.

Comparing BPI has become very popular with the Lumosity acolytes. Some argue that all you're doing when your BPI increases significantly is getting better at the games you repeat versus increasing IQ. I agree.

bmbsqd 10 December 2013 15:40

I'm too young (50) for that shit! By the way TFG, what was that website address again? :eek::biggrin::smile:

Seriously, thanks for the rec...I hear the commercials all the time and have often wondered if it was worth the cost and effort. I'll be checking it out soon, unless I forget! :smile:

Jong 11 December 2013 08:35

Is it worth paying for it? I have been using the free site and like it so far. I just started a couple of months ago and my BPI is 1095.

The Fat Guy 11 December 2013 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokeu2 (Post 1058349957)
I subscribe and actually enjoy it.

I log in prior to getting down to work in the morning. For me, it's been a great way to get the gray matter functioning a bit better before digging into 1's and 0's.

This is my experience as well. I do it in the AM and it keeps me focused throughout the day.

Stretch,

I am definitely more productive when I spend time on Lumosity.

The Fat Guy 11 December 2013 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jong (Post 1058350201)
Is it worth paying for it? I have been using the free site and like it so far. I just started a couple of months ago and my BPI is 1095.

I actually did not know there was a free site. The paid version gives you statistics on your accomplishments, standings for your age group and pointers on how to improve.

chokeu2 11 December 2013 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jong (Post 1058350201)

Sure is. But don't get caught up in the BPI. Just enjoy it as mental PT.

Jong 11 December 2013 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokeu2 (Post 1058350257)
Sure is. But don't get caught up in the BPI. Just enjoy it as mental PT.

I could really give a shit about the BPI, only posted it because it was requested. I might give the pay site a shot.

Stretch 11 December 2013 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058350208)
This is my experience as well. I do it in the AM and it keeps me focused throughout the day.

Stretch,

I am definitely more productive when I spend time on Lumosity.

Cool. I will give it a try, and report back. I definitely see a some incremental degradation over the past 8-10 years...

B 2/75 11 December 2013 15:11

I simply play a few hands of Spider Solitaire for speed and fewer moves.

4:46 / 102 is the record so far.

After I feel like I've had a cup or two of coffee. Good FREE wakeup routine.

The Fat Guy 11 December 2013 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stretch (Post 1058350343)
Cool. I will give it a try, and report back. I definitely see a some incremental degradation over the past 8-10 years...

My increments are measured in 5 gallon buckets.

bmbsqd 11 December 2013 17:21

TFG...thanks for the rec!!

I just did the Fit Test and signed up for a year. $4/month is a great deal IMO. Of course you have to pay all 12 months at one time on that deal, but worth it. Hell, I've signed up for much more idiotic shit for $19.99/month then forgot and was charged for many months...getting NOTHING out of it!

That fucking bird/number test was ok until it gave me all of them at the same time to build points!! :mad::smile:

I selected morning training notices since that seems to be the common recommendation by you guys.

The Fat Guy 12 December 2013 09:28

I think the BPI is a good tool if you don't make it the objective. Like stock prices, it should be an indicator, not a dictator.

Jong 13 December 2013 09:01

For you guys that have been doing it for awhile, do you keeping improving or do you eventually level off?