SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

BiblioRanger 10 August 2004 11:56

What are you reading?

With apologies to RangerCharlie, who usually comes up with this type of question.

What are you reading right now?

James Buchanan - bio
Curing MS - non-fiction
Da Vinci Code - fiction
Presidential Leadership - non-fiction
Charlotte's Web - (reading to my son)

What is your all-time favorite book?

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
In Dubious Battle by John Steinbeck
Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

SgtUSMC8541 10 August 2004 12:03

Reading:

The Nelson Touch. The Life and Legend of Horatio Nelson by Terry Coleman.

DY 10 August 2004 12:05

Answer: This well known author is a favorite among rougue Rangers who steal away to local libraries.
Question: Who is John Steinbeck?

Neo 10 August 2004 12:17

Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King

Excellent read.

BiblioRanger 10 August 2004 12:18

Quote:

Originally posted by DY

Question: Who is John Steinbeck?

Steinbeck is probably one of America's greatest novelist from the 20th Century. He wrote The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, and other novels and non-fiction.

He lived from 1902 to 1968. Was born in California and is the only California native to win the Nobel Prize in Literature (1962).

Check out some of the links below:

http://www2.sjsu.edu/steinbeck/

Center for Steinbeck Studies at San Jose State University

http://www.nobel.se/literature/laure...nbeck-bio.html

Steinbeck Bio from the Nobel web page.

http://www.steinbeck.org/MainFrame.html

John Steinbeck Center in Salinas

Needless to say, he is my favorite writer.

JJC_15 10 August 2004 12:26

Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile.

An outstanding and scary read about the CIA in Afghanistan in the 80's.

jojoB375 10 August 2004 12:30

One fis to fis wed fis boo fis...

Dark tower trilogy by Stephen King. (Fiction)
Jarhead by Anthony Swofford (Non Fiction)
Black Tulip by Dumas (Classic Fiction)

DY 10 August 2004 12:47

Quote:

From Biblioranger: Needless to say, he is my favorite writer.
He appears to have lived alife that most writers dream about.

A recent favorite of mine is "The Fight" by Normal Mailer...an insiders view of "the rumble in the jungle" between Mohammad Ali and George Foreman.

Reattacking "From Beriut To Jerusalem" by Thomas L. Friedman. He lived in Beruit as a journalist for 5 years.

Started The Bible (from) "the beginning". Currently in Judges.

pittsburghgrl 10 August 2004 12:51

LOL, I tried to get Ranger Sharky to read something besides non-fiction. He just gave me that "Real men don't read fiction" look. I got him to read "East of Eden" and he loved it. I also have "Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice and Men", maybe I can sneak those onto his nightstand too. Maybe you guys ARE a good influence... :D

brewmonkey 10 August 2004 12:57

Plan of Attack by Bob Woodward & SOCNET.

BiblioRanger 10 August 2004 13:09

Quote:

Originally posted by sharkysgrl
LOL, I tried to get Ranger Sharky to read something besides non-fiction. He just gave me that "Real men don't read fiction" look. I got him to read "East of Eden" and he loved it. I also have "Grapes of Wrath" and "Of Mice and Men", maybe I can sneak those onto his nightstand too. Maybe you guys ARE a good influence... :D
If Sharky does not want to read GOW or OMM have him watch the movies. The 1939 version of OMM with Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney, Jr is a great movie. In 1940, GOW, directed by John Ford, starting Henry Fonda is the best.

Also, in 1992 OMM was done with John Malkovich and Gary Sinise and it is a very good film, it is very true to the book.

OMM is a pretty short novel and it can be read in a couple of hours.

Steinbeck wrote East of Eden for his children.

IMHO - anything by Steinbeck is good reading!

ke4gde 10 August 2004 13:10

Ahh a favorite past time for me. I love SCI-FI.

Currently reading Boat of a Million Years by Poul Anderson

Favorites Include but are not limited to:
1) Sten (7 book series) by Allen Cole and Chris Bunch
2) Any book by Chris Bunch
3) The Reality Dysfunction series by Peter F. Hamilton
4) Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton
5) most of the alternate history books (except the fantasy based ones) by Harry Turtledove
6) Armor by John Steakly
7) Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlen
8) The HALO series of books

There are more, but these are all I can recall off the top of my head. I love reading a good book with a cigar, and some cognac.

Gypsy 10 August 2004 13:30

Tales from the Teamhouse, a compilation of stories from SF Soldiers...proceeds benefit the 'Yards. A great read!

Edit to add: Just finished In the Company of Heroes a couple weeks ago...awesome book.

rna 10 August 2004 13:30

Right now I'm reading Terrorism: Inside A World Phenomenon by Barry Davies.

I really enjoyed The Commandos: The Inside Story of America's Secret Soldiers by Douglas C. Waller, but my favorite book of all time is The Finishing School by Dick Couch.

celder 10 August 2004 13:32

BiblioRanger,

Do you like Faulkner at all?

I like both because my dad has stories from his childhood that are Steinbeckian and Faulknerian. He grew up in the South, but also went west to work on the railroads.

I need to record all of his stories.

celder

Luke 10 August 2004 13:38

Charlie Wilson's War - Crile

I've been reading Steven King's Dark Tower since I was in high school, but the fourth book was average and the fifth was just awful. I don't know if I can bear to read the current one (Song of Suzannah?). Has anyone read this yet?

FireFinder 10 August 2004 13:50

Currently:

The Yom Kippur War

Recently:

The Filthy Thirteen
Combat Jump
Currahee!
This Man's Army
In the Company of Heroes
Immediate Action
Behind Hitler's Lines
We Were Soldiers Once, and Young
Jarhead

On deck:
Practical Shooting: Beyond the Fundamentals
Airborne
The Battle of Mogadishu
The Guts to Try
SOG
Unfit for Command

Its hard to keep track of what I've read, I go through about 4 books a month.

pittsburghgrl 10 August 2004 14:05

Quote:

Originally posted by BiblioRanger
If Sharky does not want to read GOW or OMM have him watch the movies.
His problem is not that he minds reading. He reads CONSTANTLY! He just thinks that fiction that isn't directly related to war or law enforcement isn't worth reading. He had to take a Lit course this semester for school and he's opening his mind a little to fiction. I think he equates "fiction" with "trashy paperback novel" (i.e. geared toward mushy love stories and women) and doesn't yet realize that most of the best books in the entire world are fiction and may or may not have ANYTHING to do with war, etc.

He's getting there. Any recommendations on some good fiction books that my grumpy old Ranger might enjoy?

Neo 10 August 2004 14:39

Parachute Infantry : An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich by David Webster

This guy was one of the guys in Easy Company in Ambrose's "Band of Brothers". He gives his perspective of the Normandy jump, his fellow soldiers and the war. Seems like he didn't enjoy the Army to much, but knew he had a job to do.

Excellent read again.

FYI: If you have watched the series, hes the guy who misses the Bulge and comes back to a Company who treats him like a FNG, even though he had fought on D-Day and did the jump in Holland during operation Market Garden.

Guy 10 August 2004 14:55

None at all...

Quote:

Originally posted by sharkysgrl
He's getting there. Any recommendations on some good fiction books that my grumpy old Ranger might enjoy?
Women. :rolleyes: I swear I'm not changing. I still don't like Oprah or her book reading club.:p

My next book..."How to refinish this damn deck, so that my better half leaves me alone."

Her next book, which I will purchase..."Communication is way overrated in a relationship."

Take care...lmao!:D