SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Professional Development and Education (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=276)
-   -   Fully paid Graduate level Cyber certificate at Norwich University (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=131688)

Guy 3 February 2018 08:25

Fully paid Graduate level Cyber certificate at Norwich University
 
I'm not the POC, just passing on some info!

Bottomline: Reserve and National Guard Soldiers, Sailors, or Airman, or Marines: Apply now for a fully paid scholarship for a graduate level Cyber Certificate in one of the following areas:

-Computer Forensic Investigation/Incident Response Team Management

-Vulnerability Management and Penetration Testing

-Critical Infrastructure Protection & Cyber Crime

-Cyber Law & International Perspectives on Cyberspace

Background and details:

The Services and the National Security Agency (NSA) Cyber P3 project are providing fully paid scholarships for graduate level certificates to Reserve and National Guard Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen, and Marines in Cyber Security at Norwich University’s College of Graduate and Continuing Studies (tuition & fees are completely covered -12 credits which can later be applied to a Master’s program).

This link contains the information regarding the available certificates. Additional information can be found on this website:

https://online.norwich.edu/continuin...rity-assurance.

The dates available for this education begins on June 4, 2018, and will conclude on November 18, 2018 (with a 2-week break from August 20 - September 2).

Points of contact: To apply and for questions, contact:

-John Kunelius at 507-384-1056 or jkuneliu@norwich.edu, and/or

-Bethany Scalzo at 802-485-3304 or bscalzo@norwich.edu.

All materials will need to be received no later 16 February 2018, at 1600 – Please spread the word!

Norwich also offers 6 Online Bachelor’s programs and 13 Online Master’s Programs – visit the following for more information on these high-quality programs:
https://online.norwich.edu/

V/R,
Jeff
NU ’80, US Army Retired, SFA D-5343-L
Jeffrey S. Cairns
Director of Strategic Relations & Development
College of Graduate and Continuing Studies
Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663

P: 831.917.9573
E: jcairns@norwich.edu
www.online.norwich.edu

Silverbullet 3 February 2018 09:38

Wow, this is great.

NoChai 3 February 2018 13:31

Seriously, that's an opportunity right there! Of course I'm still on AD... I hope someone here takes advantage of this.

doitforjonny 3 February 2018 14:05

Someone needs to jump on this, we NEED more quality veterans in the tech community. The pay potential is great, the work is engaging, and you can sink your teeth into a large 'idea' and satisfy the need to be a part of something bigger.

HIGHLY recommend pursuit of this opportunity by someone.

Guy, thanks for posting!

wildman43 3 February 2018 15:30

Norwich University is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. Not a accredited school from the U.S. Schools of accreditations.

What this tell me is it is only good in New England where the school is located. an is Not a Accredited School per say!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Guy 3 February 2018 15:52

^^^Did you miss the part that says:^^^

Quote:

providing FULLY PAID scholarships for graduate level certificates to Reserve and National Guard Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen, and Marines in Cyber Security at Norwich University’s College of Graduate and Continuing Studies (tuition & fees are completely covered -12 credits which can later be applied to a Master’s program).

Silverbullet 3 February 2018 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildman43 (Post 1058703807)
Norwich University is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. Not a accredited school from the U.S. Schools of accreditations.

What this tell me is it is only good in New England where the school is located. an is Not a Accredited School per say!

Just my 2 cents worth.

You are wrong. RA is accreditation.

Norwich is also known for high standards and academic rigor.

Dangerous 3 February 2018 16:51

^^^And many fine officers in our military are graduates of Norwich.

leopardprey 3 February 2018 18:42

Gay Rhinoceros did his Masters at Norwich and has nothing but positive things to say. Very challenging programs and well known within the govt sector.

This scholarship is an incredibly good deal and great opportunity!

Baildog 3 February 2018 20:14

national accreditation is what you want to avoid. ... counterintuitively, regional is the proper one.

Rockville 3 February 2018 20:37

https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
Get Data for one accredited institution/campus/site
https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx

Rockville 3 February 2018 20:38

Norwich is list at https://www.sfs.opm.gov/ContactsPI.aspx
CyberCorps (R): Scholarship For Service (SFS)

doitforjonny 4 February 2018 10:43

Cyber courses don't depend on academic accreditation for their value, they depend on industry credential alignment, practical hands on, and perceived value.

IE - do you end up with recognized INDUSTRY certification (vendor specific or industry body - like EC Council CEH or something), did you actually DO any work and can you PROVE competency, and if the program does both of those things and has been around a while you naturally get perceived value.

Judging a high tech program's validity based on academic accreditation is an exercise in wasted money or paying 10x what you would for putting together your own course.

For example - take Big Data as a content area. I could go get my Master's from Berkeley or NYU for 20-50k or I could get a professional certificate from Duke Continuing Studies for 3k (Duke uses 3rd party industry content the others used overpriced faculty).

At the end of the day, when you complete, you still have to go do your job hunt.

With programs like this, where they are recruiting veterans for free, they are invested with the success of the individual, and will do their utmost on the last mile, the job hunt.

Hence, someone NEEDS to jump on this, because it will function like a handholding veteran transition program, which is exactly what dudes need when they are getting out.

CV 4 February 2018 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildman43 (Post 1058703807)
What this tell me is it is only good in New England where the school is located. an is Not a Accredited School per say!

Regional accreditation is the one you want. It has nothing to do with where the degree would be viewed as acceptable. Under that logic, a degree from M.I.T. would be vied poorly in Silicon Valley. Not likely ;)

Gray Rhyno 4 February 2018 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverbullet (Post 1058703820)
You are wrong. RA is accreditation.

Norwich is also known for high standards and academic rigor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058703848)
Gay Rhinoceros did his Masters at Norwich and has nothing but positive things to say. Very challenging programs and well known within the govt sector.

This scholarship is an incredibly good deal and great opportunity!

Spot on. I finished my MA in History there almost two years ago. Kicked my ass. Lots of reading, analyzing, and writing. I know nothing about the cyber program there, but if it's anything like the history program its top notch. I do know that the cyber program at Norwich is a Center of Excellence for the NSA and DHS, so that should count for something. I think Chemical Cookie also went there and may be able to chime in.

IMO, a free graduate certificate from a national recognized program has to be worth the cost.

KMP 13 February 2018 10:45

Just got word I was accepted to this Graduate Certificate program starting in June. I am doing Critical Infrastructure and Cyber Crime. Pretty sure the scholarship goes hand in hand with acceptance but I'll update here if there are any hang-ups.

Easy application and very professional staff there.

I am in the NG. My undergrad GPA was a "perfect" 3.01.

As for the accreditation, I concur that regional is the priority. Also Norwich is a senior military college along with Citadel, VMI, Texas A and M etc. The Army rarely lets you use their cash for credits that would not count towards a commission.

For those wanting more technical training FedVTE has the free courses for self study for Security + and CISSP, among others. Tests are still on you but they are great skills for the future if you have the time and can get a passing score. This is for active, reserve and veterans.

NoChai 13 February 2018 11:16

Congrats KMP! Glad to see you were able to take advantage of this awesome opportunity. If you wouldn't mind keeping notes about your experience there and the program overall, I would greatly appreciate it. Hopefully, I'll be able to get into this program in a few years but it looks like it'll be on my own dime (or GI bill).

Thanks for the info about FedVTE. I plan to look into it.

Congrats again!

leopardprey 14 February 2018 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMP (Post 1058705766)
Just got word I was accepted to this Graduate Certificate program starting in June. I am doing Critical Infrastructure and Cyber Crime. Pretty sure the scholarship goes hand in hand with acceptance but I'll update here if there are any hang-ups.

Easy application and very professional staff there.

I am in the NG. My undergrad GPA was a "perfect" 3.01.

As for the accreditation, I concur that regional is the priority. Also Norwich is a senior military college along with Citadel, VMI, Texas A and M etc. The Army rarely lets you use their cash for credits that would not count towards a commission.

For those wanting more technical training FedVTE has the free courses for self study for Security + and CISSP, among others. Tests are still on you but they are great skills for the future if you have the time and can get a passing score. This is for active, reserve and veterans.

Outstanding! Have fun.

KMP 12 April 2018 08:55

Update- So being accepted by Norwich does not constitute a scholarship....they emailed yesterday that the school is awaiting word from the NSA who was accepted and funded by the man. So I'll update when I get some feedback from that.

KMP 18 May 2018 10:57

It was more of a whimper than a bang but I appear to be funded through this program. For those interested the schools that participate generally do admissions Nov-Feb and then start the following year after this funding process concludes. Good luck.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 14:12.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved