SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   Bow Hunting (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=133173)

Expatmedic 20 September 2018 17:12

Bow Hunting

The wifely unit has decided she wants to get into archery. Ultimately she wants to hunt.

We know not one thing about archery. BOFH makes bows, IIRC.

I told her to start reading all she could about it.

But in the end, we know of no one who gives lessons or classes.

Where to start?

Thanks all.

Forestboy 20 September 2018 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Expatmedic (Post 1058750114)
The wifely unit has decided she wants to get into archery. Ultimately she wants to hunt.

We know not one thing about archery. BOFH makes bows, IIRC.

I told her to start reading all she could about it.

But in the end, we know of no one who gives lessons or classes.

Where to start?

Thanks all.

Your local archery club would be a good place to start.

There are also "Becoming an Outdoors Woman" seminars that are hosted, do a google search for one near you.

I am sure user mdwest will be along shortly with some good info as his wife has done some promoting of the outdoor sports in the past.

DC 20 September 2018 18:36

I learned all I know about bow hunting on archerytalk and YouTube. Self taught that way but I am sure learning from local hunters and clubs would have been better and more fun but I had access to neither at the time.

Lots of great info on archerytalk dot com.

Nothing like bow hunting IMO; it can be a lot more frustrating than modern firearm but a LOT more rewarding.

1RiserSlip 21 September 2018 07:41

My local gun store also has a wide variety of anything bow related, including an indoor range.

Check for one in your area. They can match you and the spouse unit up with anything. Size, shape, different models to choose from. It's also a sales pitch so don't let em sell you the latest greatest PSE or Matthews bow if you're comfortable with the lesser expensive Hoyt.

Warning: Its not cheap. With all the accessories it's more expensive than gun hunting.

mdwest 21 September 2018 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC (Post 1058750130)
I learned all I know about bow hunting on archerytalk and YouTube. Self taught that way but I am sure learning from local hunters and clubs would have been better and more fun but I had access to neither at the time.

Lots of great info on archerytalk dot com.

Nothing like bow hunting IMO; it can be a lot more frustrating than modern firearm but a LOT more rewarding.

+1

AT and YouTube are very good resources..

I initially took a 1 hour lesson at an archery range thats nearby.. then went to an archery shop and had the bow techs show me a couple of things and test drove a couple of used bows to see what I liked, didnt like, etc.. after that I spent a good bit of time reading threads on AT and watching YouTube, bought a decent bow, and joined the local archery club (super cheap.. just $150 a year for a family account) and shot there a couple of times a week for about 4 months before I planned on doing my first archery hunt..

By the time the hunt came.. I was ready..

Im still far from "good" with a bow.. but I can keep everything in a 4"-6" circle out to about 40 yards as long as I practice a couple of times a month.. which is plenty good for chasing bambi or porky with a bow (I have no desire to take an 80 yard bow shot like some guys can/do)..

Gsniper 21 September 2018 11:57

Don't know if it's a thing out there in Cali, but there is an org here called "women of the outdoors". I have a neighbor who's wife does it. Each month they have a meeting and learn stuff like archery, skeet shooting, fishing etc. She seems to like it.

1RiserSlip 21 September 2018 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsniper (Post 1058750254)
Don't know if it's a thing out there in Cali, but there is an org here called "women of the outdoors". I have a neighbor who's wife does it. Each month they have a meeting and learn stuff like archery, skeet shooting, fishing etc. She seems to like it.

That's just what you think. You have no idea what those women REALLY do.

Shark0311 21 September 2018 21:34

It would be best to look for archery lessons. It's mostly form and a good teacher is critical in the early stages to correct poor posture, release etc. So, to answer your question find an archery shop that sells high end bows likes Mathews, Hoyt, Elite as you are more likely to find an instructor worthy of the name.