SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

OutsideTheB 28 July 2013 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat06 (Post 1058307100)
Lots...hence the reason I am reading more and more as I get older.

Trivia for the day.... Clearance Thomas attended the Conception Seminary with the intentions of becoming a Catholic Priest. He left 1968 after he heard some students rejoicing at the assassination of MLK......

That is interesting trivia.

CAP MARINE 3 August 2013 17:37

William queen book-ATF
jay Robyn's book-ATF,no angel

CAP MARINE 3 August 2013 17:39

Found out I have a retired FBI agent friend,she worked with Tommy Norris.they went to a gun show checking some things out and he kept bumping into her.he says get on the other side of me,you know I have only one eye!!

osubuckeye762 4 August 2013 16:29

"Night of the Silver Stars: The Battle of Lang Vei by William R. Phillips.

An easy read, in which I was able to finish the book in a few hours. A remarkable story of courage and sacrifice.

GPC 4 August 2013 17:38

The Last Line by Anthony Shaffer.

Bearcat06 5 August 2013 13:55

PEARL HARBOR: Before and Beyond: The Eyewitness Account of Steve Rula.

Going to be a quick read as its not very in depth like I thought it was going to be.

Didn't realize back before WW2 they would send folks that were going to be assigned to 25th ID out here and do Basic Training then go to their Regiment and "AIT" was done at the unit level.

brcannon 6 August 2013 08:09

"Trust me, I'm lying"- Ryan Holiday.
Speaks about the ease of manipulating online media and how it can flow up to the mainstream news as well, and cause follow on effect in real life.
Also, shows you how to do it. Pretty good, and I notice many things he says in most of the website I read. Good book

Bingo King 8 August 2013 13:36

"Rise of the Warrior Cop" by Radley Balko

Inspired by the discussions in the law enforcement thread. Really does a nice job so far about how LE transitioned to where they are today.

Titleist 16 August 2013 14:58

The Liberty Amendments: Restoring the American Republic

Just got it yesterday. Common sense is truly uncommon. This is an insightful and eye-opening read into how the progressives have hard wired themselves into the entire bureaucracy. Kind of scary too.

For a century, the Statists have steadfastly constructed a federal Leviathan, distorting and evading our constitutional system in pursuit of an all-powerful, ubiquitous central government. The result is an ongoing and growing assault on individual liberty, state sovereignty, and the social compact. Levin argues that if we cherish our American heritage, it is time to embrace a constitutional revival.

The delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia and the delegates to each state’s ratification convention foresaw a time when—despite their best efforts to forestall it—the Federal government might breach the Constitution’s limits and begin oppressing the people. Agencies such as the IRS and EPA and programs such as Obamacare demonstrate that the Framers’ fear was prescient. Therefore, the Framers provided two methods for amending the Constitution. The second was intended for our current circumstances—empowering the states to bypass Congress and call a convention for the purpose of amending the Constitution. Levin argues that we, the people, can avoid a perilous outcome by seeking recourse, using the method called for in the Constitution itself.

The Framers adopted ten constitutional amendments, called the Bill of Rights, that would preserve individual rights and state authority. Levin lays forth eleven specific prescriptions for restoring our founding principles, ones that are consistent with the Framers’ design. His proposals—such as term limits for members of Congress and Supreme Court justices and limits on federal taxing and spending—are pure common sense, ideas shared by many. They draw on the wisdom of the Founding Fathers—including James Madison, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and numerous lesser-known but crucially important men—in their content and in the method for applying them to the current state of the nation.

Now is the time for the American people to take the first step toward reclaiming what belongs to them. The task is daunting, but it is imperative if we are to be truly free. A must read.

GPC 18 August 2013 17:42

I Am Soldier of Fortune by Robert K Brown.
Interesting read so far.

BomberJosh 19 August 2013 03:55

I just acquired all three of Mark Levin's books. Audio version to get through the first two then Ebook for Liberty Amendments I am anxiously waiting to finish my current science fiction series.

On that note, yes they are "zombie books" but Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne has been a good 3 piece series that I found in audio book format. Only other zombie genre I have read was World War Z, so figured I would spice up my reading list for the last 2 weeks.

osubuckeye762 21 August 2013 16:53

Picked up the Kill List by Frederick Forsyth this morning at the local library, and already half way through it.

SOTB 23 August 2013 16:48

THIS ARTICLE.

From which I ascertained that sex can help just as much with feeling uncomfortable or stressed as music or food.

Perfect. The next time I break my foot or hand, I'm going to ask for a blow job....

KidA 23 August 2013 17:11

I started trying to read the first Game of Thrones book (have never seen the shows) but just not feeling it. I used to read a ton of Fantasy fiction as a teen (of course LOTR and Chronicles of Narnia) but also the lesser-known stuff.

It's just not speaking to me anymore but I'm only a couple chapters in.

I'm convinced the most difficult thing in writing this stuff is having to come up with the ridiculous names for everything:

Ravens Smoke, Forest of Evening Shadow, Sword of Romulcan, Sir Thornside McThunderass, Born under the Moon of Craven's Rain, and so on...

AustinPT 25 August 2013 07:00

The Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield. Great historical fiction from a foot soldier's perspective. Weird to read names like Kandahar and Bagram in the context of Alexander the Great

raf727 25 August 2013 18:02

Currently I am reading "Inside The Jihad" by Omar Nasiri. It is the story of a Moroccan man who gets caught up in the Algerian terrorist organization the GIA because his brother has ties, he eventually starts procuring weapons and ammo for them to make a quick buck and gets caught up. He then starts spying for various intelligence organizations, and ends up infiltrating an Al Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan and becomes a mujahadin.

It all takes place in the early to mid 90s, I can't put it down honestly, it is intense. Supposedly it is a true story, I highly recommend it, it was given to me by a buddy of mine who is also a Marine. It gives some interesting insight into the true motives of the Mooj, and Islamic extremists. Awesome book so far.

eltrane 25 August 2013 18:43

Just finished "Night Film" by Marisha Pessl. I found it to be great book, dark and not predictable. Turns out there's some interactivity with the book and a smartphone app so I'll probably check that out as well.

Anyone else read this yet?

A191 26 August 2013 05:10

Just finished "The Killer Angels", "God and Generals", and "Last Full Measure". Great reads that have spurred me to want to read a biography of both "Pete" Longstreet and "Stonewall" Jackson. Anyone have some suggestions?

Bearcat06 26 August 2013 20:59

Just started War on Two Fronts: An Infantry Commander's War in Iraq and the Pentagonby Col. (now BG) Christopher Hughes. Current Assistant Div CDR 3ID and NW Missouri State U grad.

Fofo 3 September 2013 22:12

Russian Security and Paramilitary Forces Since 1991 Osprey Press Elite#197 by Mark Galeotti.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Securi...ecurity+forces

As one of the very newest releases from Osprey, this is certainly an up to date an welcome book to the subject. Really, for those who are curious - or need to know more, there really is no good and up to date source on this vast number and variety of forces, in the West. It's a violent, troubled land, with a long history of using muscle and violence in quantity to ensure political survival and public order.

Mark Galeotti provides a fair deal of information, from the regular Police, to OMON forces, right to the MVD Interior Troops, the FSB's formidable Alpha and Vympel units - to EMERCOM and The Presidential Regiment. Like the other books, it is well-illustrated and photographs are quite plentiful. With a small section talking about small arms, equipment and vehicles at the end - while kit provided to various units mentioned in each entry.

It's a truly mind-boggling number and probably will continue to grow, number of units/agencies/entities that exist in Russia. That said, the book is disappointingly short - a paltry 64 pages like it's sister titles in the series... While it does an admirable job trying to cover all bases, and give a quick overview - one wishes for a title of at least twice as many pages - that, would provide the author a little more space for a subject as vast and neglected as this.

If you have more than a passing interest in these men and women, and their history, I'd say get the book. At $14.00, you can't go wrong with this short but informative little book.