SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

Mingo Kane 21 May 2020 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock (Post 1058863032)
Of course, now I want to go on a boat ride down the Mississippi... maybe one day!

Hope you get that ride...just remember when you hear the skipper call out, "Mark Twain" near a sandbar or shallow shoal." You'll know where Sam picked up his name...;)

osubuckeye762 22 May 2020 16:46

I picked these up the other day at the Dollar Tree while visiting my parents in Florida.

Our Year of War: Two Brothers, Vietnam, and a Nation Divided
and Bounty Hunter 4/3: From the Bronx to Marine Scout Sniper

I spent the day relaxing and reading before I head out to ND tomorrow.

About a chapter in I realized I had already read Bounty Hunter 4/3: From the Bronx to Marine Scout Sniper.

Still a good one to kill a day.

Hot Mess 25 May 2020 09:05

Finished So Good They Can’t Ignore You, Edge, Twelve Pillars.

Drive and Tax Strategies on deck.

MizzouMP 27 May 2020 01:09

Checkpoint Charlie: The Cold War, The Berlin Wall, and the Most Dangerous Place On Earth by Iain MacGregor

Hot Mess 9 June 2020 07:59

Grit, The Intelligent Investor, and David and Goliath on deck.

GirlwithaGlock 10 June 2020 14:03

I am reading The Labyrinth of Solitude by Octavio Paz.

Next on tap is Orwell's biography by Michael Shelden. I was somewhat surprised to learn that he Orwell fought for the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War... it will be interesting to learn more about how his world view was been shaped. Maybe I will pick up Homage to Catalonia sometimes later.

CAP MARINE 12 June 2020 18:46

I ordered a book about the 4th Marine Brigade, WW1

Sado_1 16 June 2020 13:42

“The day is now far spent”, Cardinal Robert Sarah and the “Power of Silence” also by Cardinal Sarah. Excellent reads if you’re Catholic. The decay within the Church including scandals and the spiritual complacency of Americans today.

Polypro 17 June 2020 09:42

'No Ordinary Dog' - Will Chesney

About 'Cairo' on the OBL Raid.

jhes160 25 June 2020 11:16

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D.

Originally written in 2007, she has since updated a few chapters. Great book about people with fixed and growth mindsets, and how those with growth mindsets are often more successful.

osubuckeye762 25 June 2020 23:01

Since it is a slow night at work and will be till 800hrs, I thought I would do a little reading.

From Kindle Unlimited I was able to find:

Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors

Since it has been 82 years since that sparkling morning of June 25, 1876, when 611 men of the United States 7th Cavalry rode toward the banks of Little Bighorn in the Montana Territory, where three thousand Indians stood waiting for them.

Also:

Custer's Scouts at the Little Bighorn: The Arikara Narrative

Akheloce 25 June 2020 23:38

Given my 1 hour each way commute- I'm an audiobook guy.... Right now I'm on book 8 of the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien. The dialog is difficult at first given the old english, and nautical terms, but the story is great.

Several of the books were combined into the movie "Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe. If you liked that movie, then you'd love the books that inspired it.

TX teacher 26 June 2020 20:12

Blood of Heroes by James Donovan.

I've read a lot on the Alamo over the years. This particular book focuses on the siege itself and the events immediately before and after the fall. It doesn't focus much on anything outside of Bexar county unless it pertains directly to San Antonio, which is actually nice considering most books like to put every event in context instead of just focusing on the event itself.

MizzouMP 28 June 2020 02:28

The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months That Changed the World by A. J. Baime

Discusses the first 4 months of the Truman administration.

Thus far, pretty good.

Stretch 30 June 2020 23:04

Ending the Slavery Blame-Game by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.

https://loseyourmother.voices.wooste...York-Times.pdf

I have always believed this. It was interesting to see/read a black man with the same opinion.

btq96r 6 July 2020 11:49

Recently finished Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Pretty heavy stuff, as it's a physiological work through the author's experience as Holocaust survivor, but a very worthy read for anyone.

Purple36 6 July 2020 13:11

Mindf*ck, Cambridge Analytica and the plot to Break America.
A fascinating insider view of a British Defense contractor, psychologists, and data scientists brought together to develop and implement information operations against the US voters.

Fred 6 July 2020 14:56

Trinity by Leon Uris, great writer of historical fiction. Will definitely be moving to Battle Cry next.

Long Walk 6 July 2020 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1058871694)
Trinity by Leon Uris, great writer of historical fiction. Will definitely be moving to Battle Cry next.

I dated a girl in the 80's who introduced me to Uris....I started with the same schedule you are on...then the Haj. Great writer and great books. Thanks for reminding me - I hadn't thought about Uris in years.

Mars 7 July 2020 10:50

Rise of ISIS: A Threat We Can't Ignore by Jay Sekulow.