SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

MizzouMP 8 July 2020 01:15

Truman book was great.

Just started: 140 Days to Hiroshima: The Story of Japan’s Last Chance to Avert Armageddon by David Dean Barrett

CPTAUSRET 8 July 2020 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouMP (Post 1058871998)
Truman book was great.

Just started: 140 Days to Hiroshima: The Story of Japanís Last Chance to Avert Armageddon by David Dean Barrett

Truman book by David McCullough?

MizzouMP 9 July 2020 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET (Post 1058872048)
Truman book by David McCullough?

Negative sir. I read: The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months That Changed the World by A. J. Baime

Discusses the first 4 months of the Truman administration.

The McCullough book is an amazing book and I had the privilege of meeting Mr. McCullough at the Truman Liberty years ago and was able to secure an autograph copy of the book.

CPTAUSRET 9 July 2020 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouMP (Post 1058872153)
Negative sir. I read: The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months That Changed the World by A. J. Baime

Discusses the first 4 months of the Truman administration.

The McCullough book is an amazing book and I had the privilege of meeting Mr. McCullough at the Truman Liberty years ago and was able to secure an autograph copy of the book.

Roger.

He's a nice guy, we had dinner with them a few years ago.

MizzouMP 9 July 2020 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET (Post 1058872155)
Roger.

He's a nice guy, we had dinner with them a few years ago.

What an amazing experience that had to been. He was very gracious at the book signing I was at and took a lot of questions about Truman and his life

Purple36 9 July 2020 21:43

https://utahstatemagazine.usu.edu/po...-of-listening/
Mattis and Art of Listening

GirlwithaGlock 13 July 2020 13:46

I finished reading Orwell's Authorized Biography that I mentioned earlier in this thread and could not recommend it highly enough. A fascinating life described in a well-informed, easy-flowing narrative. I will say that some of our fellow forum members here appear to share quite a few personality traits with the writer. :smile:

Now I am reading The Forger's Spell: A True Story of Vermeer, Nazis, and the Greatest Art Hoax of the Twentieth Century by Edward Dolnick.

TX teacher 15 July 2020 16:12

I read Cormac McCarthy's "No Country for Old Men." Aside from a few minor things, the movie is almost word for word like the book. I went through it in about three days.

Now I'm on to Max Hastings' "Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy." It's great because it goes back to the politics of the 1930s and 40s that actually led to the rise of Ho Chi Minh. I've read a lot on the topic, but Hastings has a way of fleshing out new, detailed info. However, he does it in a way that doesn't get you bogged down in pointless details. I love the way he writes.

IronCross 15 July 2020 16:43

Master Key to Riches by Napoleon Hill.

CAP MARINE 17 July 2020 22:25

The 4th Marine Brigade at Belleau Wood

Purple36 19 July 2020 15:35

FEAR, by Bob Woodward

leopardprey 19 July 2020 18:42

Elephant Company by Vicki Croke.

About the use of elephants by allied special operation forces in the China-Burma-India campaign.

leopardprey 27 July 2020 07:57

The Mandibles.

A novel fitting fir current times, that will scare the crap out of you. Basic premise is the story of a family and how they cope with the US DollAr loosing all value internationally.

Think a economic version of the book One Second After - kind of. Very prophetic of what is to come? Very well written. I read very few fiction books these days, this is one hard to put down.

osubuckeye762 27 July 2020 20:57

I picked up: Conversations with Major Dick Winters at the $1 store.

I am reading a book I downloaded from Kindle Unlimited called Body Count: A Special Forces thriller set in the Vietnam War (The Scorpion Squad Military Thrillers Book 1) by Eric Helm.

About halfway through the first chapter I realized I read this book series in the 1980's but it was originally called Vietnam Ground Zero.

Still a fun way to kill an afternoon

Purple36 27 July 2020 22:03

Difficult Conversations, How To Discuss What Matters Most. Stone, Patton and Heen.

MizzouMP 28 July 2020 01:31

Going with something different to lighten the mood.

I Stooged to Conquer: The Autobiography of the Leader of the Three Stooges by Moe Howard

Mars 28 July 2020 19:38

The Memetic Tribes of Culture War 2.0

This isn't a book but simply a "White Paper." It provides great insight into the ongoing "Memetic Tribes" and what is playing out today. It isn't a real long read, but one that is worth it.

https://medium.com/s/world-wide-wtf/...0-14705c43f6bb

Gray Rhyno 29 July 2020 16:10

Death Merchant #11: Manhattan Wipeout

MixedLoad 29 July 2020 19:19

Currently reading two books.

1. "An Astronaut's guide to life on earth" by Chris Hadfield.

2. "The Intelligence Trap: Why smart people make dumb mistakes" by David Robson.

leopardprey 29 July 2020 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixedLoad (Post 1058875304)
Currently reading two books.

1. "An Astronaut's guide to life on earth" by Chris Hadfield.

2. "The Intelligence Trap: Why smart people make dumb mistakes" by David Robson.

Going to have to check those out.