SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

MikeC2W 3 December 2008 11:18

A Nation of Sheep - Judge Andrew P. Napolitano

Interesting in many ways.

billdawg 3 December 2008 17:52

I like anything by WEB Griffin
The older Jack Ryan novels by Tom Clancy
I found Harlan Coben in Iraq this last deployment, he rocks if you like mysteries.
I also found Vince Flynn and Brad Thor, enertaining reads about super hero CT guys.
And I still love Louis Lamour, I have all his books, talk about a guy who lived what he wrote.

For Non-Fiction, I loved Winston Churchill's post- WWII books he wrote.
Gideon's Spies, is a great book about The Mossad
Blackhawk DOwn was a good book as was the other one by Bowden about the Iran hostage crisis.

FrontrunnerDK 3 December 2008 18:13

Operation Redwing - Marcus Luttrell.
So far (p. 160) a very fine look into a fine operation gone terribly wrong.

team5medic 3 December 2008 20:11

The Mission The Men and Me

Vertex

after reading Grapplers post a few days ago i found it the day before Thanksgiving at my local book store as well. it is a good read i am about half way through. very well written and worth the money great teaching points. i would reccomend it. thanks for the lead on the book grappler.

TX teacher 4 December 2008 15:33

I just finished reading "Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green." It was a very quick and easy read and it was humorous, and will be to anyone that is a vet. If you're not a vet, you may not understand some of the humor.

It was written from a liberal guy's perspective, but IMO it didn't taint the writing and all it really did was describe a year in A-stan with an army unit.

Currently I'm reading "Walk this Way." It's biography about Aerosmith and is pretty much first person and is just a series of interviews starting from the the mid-60's and going up to the mid-90's. If you're a fan of the band, this is a pretty good read.

Lately, I've just gotten bored with reading military history and just have wanted to go another direction with my reading. I'll get back to the military stuff, but I think it's good to read about more than one thing. If you don't, I feel that your mind can stagnate and become dispassionate about reading.

grappler 4 December 2008 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX teacher (Post 1074821)
I just finished reading "Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green." It was a very quick and easy read and it was humorous, and will be to anyone that is a vet. If you're not a vet, you may not understand some of the humor.

It was written from a liberal guy's perspective, but IMO it didn't taint the writing and all it really did was describe a year in A-stan with an army unit.

I read about half of this book, and tossed it into the garbage. A buddy of mine who has done two tours in Iraq saw me do it and asked WTF? I thought about it for a second, pulled it out of the trash and asked him to read it and give me his thoughts -- He did exactly what I did. Maybe I'm out of line here, but I thought the author came across as a pussy.

TX teacher 4 December 2008 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by grappler (Post 1074860)
I read about half of this book, and tossed it into the garbage. A buddy of mine who has done two tours in Iraq saw me do it and asked WTF? I thought about it for a second, pulled it out of the trash and asked him to read it and give me his thoughts -- He did exactly what I did. Maybe I'm out of line here, but I thought the author came across as a pussy.

I thought the guy was of a pussy too. I guess a better way to describe the book would be to simply say that it gives a view of war from the side of someone who didn't really want to be there. But, we all know people in the military who don't really want to be there and are fuck ups. I guess this guy would fit the bill.

Hopefully that clarifies my statement a bit.:o

Greenhat 4 December 2008 20:37

Great Raids in History: From Drake to Desert One by Samual A. Southworth

MikeC2W 4 December 2008 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by grappler (Post 1074860)

It takes all types. I thought the author came across as a pussy as well and was ultimately disappointed with the book as a whole, but I thought it was hilarious throughout. I mean shit, I almost spit coffee all over when they started interogating each other with water bottles, maybe I've been out too long...but I thought it was funny.

Besides - pussy or not - he put his money where his mouth is and joined right after 911.

guns 14 December 2008 17:20

Reading Chris Osman's new book SEALS right now. IMO, easily the best book I have read on the SEAL community.

MikeC2W 15 December 2008 10:28

Psychological Nudity - Savage Radio Stories : Michael Savage

Basically it's a book of short story's about the authors life, many of which have been relayed over the air lines. I think for those that grew up near or around this time period will find it kind of very nicely nostalgic. I like it.

Believeraz 16 December 2008 08:44

The Mission, The Men, and Me By Pete Blaber. I'm just a little ways into it, but am enjoying it so far. It is written by a former CAG Officer, and is not the typical "no shit, there I was" book. It focuses on anecdotal lessons learned, and the basis for his pattern recognition, decision making, and critical thinking approaches.

Gray Rhyno 16 December 2008 16:21

I'm finally getting around to reading Stolen Valor. Wish I'd read it sooner. Excellent book; had it four days now and I'm about 2/3rds of the way done.

Really surprised at the relationship between the VA and PTSD...

dusty 16 December 2008 16:31

Station Chief: Congo, by Larry Devlin

Greenhat 16 December 2008 19:58

The Puzzle Palace: Inside the National Security Agency, America's Most Secret Intelligence Organization by James Bamford

Okie75 16 December 2008 22:45

I just finished Thunderstruck by Erik Larsen, I have just started "The best and the brightest" VERY interesting book... there are scary similarities to JFK's rise to power and P.E. Obama's.....

leopardprey 17 December 2008 04:59

The Piano Tuner (great novel set in Burma in 1889 with British Military)

The Last Sunrise (a Flying Tiger and smuggling novel)

and just finished Air America again, great read and interesting now after reading it seeing some of the parallels to "Contractors" in Afghan and Iraq, with the Air American Pilots and Crews of the last generation.

Fofo 18 December 2008 00:05

Halo: The Cole Protocol.

Good, fun read so far.

nvfone 22 December 2008 12:50

Conrad's _Heart of Darkness_.

grappler 22 December 2008 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by guns (Post 1079504)
Reading Chris Osman's new book SEALS right now. IMO, easily the best book I have read on the SEAL community.

The Frogs in that book sure didn't sugar coat there opinions on some of their leadership did they?

Just picked up Big Boy Rules. I'm hoping it's better than Blackwater, although that wouldn't be saying much.