SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

pollux23 7 October 2009 04:18

My updated reading list is the following
Wing commander: Fleet Action William R. Forstchen
Flying Black Ponies By Kit Lavell
Fifteen Days by Christine Blatchford
Good to go By Harry Constance
and finally Kitchen Confidential By Anthony Bourdain

GPC 11 October 2009 08:30

War after Armageddon by Ralph Peters.

NWPTrainer 11 October 2009 09:06

Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients than You Can Handle Even if You Hate Marketing and Selling by Michael Port

Throws and Takedown by Steve Scott

Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlein

Explosive Lifting For Sports by Newton

Power Lifting by Groves, PhD

Re-reading:

Championship Fighting by Jack Dempsey
Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore

Manphib 20 October 2009 00:01

To the White Sea by James Dickey

This is by the guy who wrote "Deliverance"; the book that the movie was based on. It's WW2 SERE novel written in a very conversational narrative style. Very similar to Faulkner or Cormac McCarthy. Highly recommended.

Huge twist towards the end.

Believeraz 20 October 2009 05:52

Just finished "Lone Wolf: the legacy of American terror" by Maryanne Vollers. It's about Eric Rudolph's beliefs, crimes, time on the run, and arrest. Vollers also touches a bit on Richard Jewell's initial scape-goating as a result of a faulty assessment by the Behavior Analysis guys from the FBI.

It seems well researched, on both the LE and prosecution side, and Rudolph's friends, counsel and family. It is also the only book I found that Rudolph participated in, in this case via written interview due to visitor restrictions at Supermax.

I just started "End the Fed" by Congressman Ron Paul. It is, obviously, about the Federal Reserve and central banking, and American monetary policy.

I also recently started Phillip Yancey's "What's So Amazing About Grace?". it's an interesting read in evangelical Christian thought, and very thought provocative. Most notable to me so far was Yancey's refusal to define grace, as it's a bit of an ethereal concept in practice. Rather he gives regular examples of what it is, and what it's not. I'm not deep enough into it to give a detailed review, but I'm looking forward to digging further into it. Grace was the key missing ingredient to the flavor of 'faith' I grew up around.

xxlranger 20 October 2009 09:10

Just finished "Signal Zero", by Dr George Kirkham, a Professor of Criminology at FSU.
Back in the early 70's, he was starting out his academic career. He had a cop in his class who told him that he was FOS and didn't know what he was talking about. On a dare, Kirkham became a cop and had his eyes opened.

A bit dated, but an excellent read.

Just starting "The Last, Best Hope", by Joe Scarborough.

MikeC2W 20 October 2009 10:04

Just finished:

Stalking the Tricksters: Shapeshifters, Skinwalkers, Dark Adepts and 2012 (Paperback)
by Christopher O'Brien

It reads like and is a complete encyclopedia of weirdness.

:)

jsmurphy 21 October 2009 19:35

"Where The Wild Things Are"...

...and I'm done, took me 1.3 minutes.

Cross-thread points?:biggrin:

BiblioRanger 22 October 2009 13:38

Just picked up - Where Men Win Glory.

Finishing up - From Manassas to Appomatox by James Longstreet.

GPC 23 October 2009 10:46

Looking for trouble adventures in a broken world.
By Ralph Peters not a bad read.

Spinner 23 October 2009 20:24

I've got two waiting in line to be read.

Fading Echoes, concerning two guys from the same small town in PA, who played on opposing football teams and would both go on to serve in Iraq, one as a Marine officer, the other as a Ranger, one of whom doesn't make it through his tour.

The other is The Fourth Star, about four contemporary Generals and their efforts to reshape the Army.

Brownsurccapt 26 October 2009 09:37

Just finished reading Ender's Game for the third time. I love it and anyone leading in a Military or Para Military environment should check it out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game

GPC 26 October 2009 10:52

Twillight of Heroes by Ralph Peters good novel so far.I always liked his books Red Army was a good read.

jane 26 October 2009 20:13

Just finished Fire and Fury: The Allied Bombing of Germany 1942-1945 by Randall Hansen. Good book. It explains how the US precision bombed (big factor was the morality of killing civilians) and how the British area bombed even though they were capable of precision bombing. Bomber Harris was the culprit in England.

moonman 29 October 2009 01:44

I just finished Muslim Mafia by David Gaubatz and Paul Sperry. A just released fantastic book about Isamic front groups in America, CAIR in particuar. Check it out...it will open your eyes.

McKec 29 October 2009 22:27

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
by Christopher McDougall

One of my favorite books, it made me remember why I loved running.

Psi Brr 29 October 2009 23:30

I blame this on Greenhat. I'm reading, "Marshal Zhukov: The Man Who Beat Hitler" by Albert Axell. It's great so far.

Soldier415 30 October 2009 01:56

Ever since I discover H. John Poole, I have been reading everything I can get my hands on by him.

"Tactics of the Crescent Moon: Militant Muslim Combat Methods" was outstanding, read that at the beginning of this deployment and the information on the enemy tactics was right on the money.

Just finished his book "Shadow Warrior (or Soldier, can't remember): The Enemy's Answer to U.S. Firepower". Another outstanding read.

GPC 4 November 2009 10:50

The Devils Garden by Ralph Peters.

TPD1280 6 November 2009 12:26

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.