SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

AMP 13 December 2009 18:29

Tears in the Darkness

The story of the Bataan death march and it's aftermath.

About halfway thru the book. Unbelieveable what those men went through and how evil and ruthless the Japanese were.

Abu Shakra 15 December 2009 13:40

Greg Mortenson - Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan

labman2 15 December 2009 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jong (Post 1234920)
Just curious as to where you bought it?

Amazon. I check that site occasionally for books that are tough to find, and several copies of EO were available for a reasonable price. I had seen prices as high as $150 for the book, I think I paid $35 ish for a paperback in like new condition.

CarbineM1 15 December 2009 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu Shakra (Post 1236643)
Greg Mortenson - Stones into Schools: Promoting Peace with Books, Not Bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan

Great read...

The Root-Marines In Beirut, Eric Hammel, good read

Kosovo Crossing - David Fromkin, - not put together very well

Bosnia, a Short History, - Noel Malcolm, good read IMO

OldSwabbie 27 December 2009 00:49

My stepson jason got me "Not a Good Day to Die"... I'm about 1/3 the way through it...to the point where the Recce has taken place and the operation is winding up and everybody is ready to go. Although, I do NOT like the way that the author has treated my SEAL Shipmates... Only a few sentences are neutral, the rest he is really painting them in a pretty bad light. I find it hard to believe almost EVERY SEAL is complaining or as he says - wanting HVT's to be handed to them or not wanting to do alot. Ordinary civilians might swallow all of that.. but I know ALOT of SEALs, I count a few as my friends, I call BULLSHIT on that. I dont know what his problem is.. but i'm not liking the guy alot right now.

I've heard that it talks about what happened to Neil Roberts. I havent gotten to that part..and frankly.. I'm dreading it. I remember the anguish I felt hearing the news reports of what happened to him... it broke my heart. All I can say is, he better treat Neil right or the book will go in the shitter - Literally.

I know the outcome and thats what makes it all the more difficult. Most likely some of you on here were there... if so.. You have my utmost admiration and respect for what you lived through...and the good friends you lost.

skyhawk691 27 December 2009 12:43

Got a New Book for Christmas Present:

"Hero Living:
Seven Strides to Awaken Your Infinite Power"

By Rudy Reyes

The Author is a Former Recon Marine and had
a part in the HBO Movie "Generation Kill".

Looking forward to see what this Book is all about.

Also Just Finished "Echo's from the Halls" By Gregg Stoner **** Great Collection of War Stories****

MikeC2W 27 December 2009 13:25

Outliers: The Story of Success
by Malcolm Gladwell

Really fucking interesting. I don't normally read books like this, it was recommended to me by a 22 year old hot female bartender in NJ. Really interesting read, definitely recommend it.

Author starts with looking at one of the most winning Canadian hockey teams....all the players were born in Jan, Feb, or Mar.... why?

TakeshiX 28 December 2009 15:50

Anything FFL related

I tend to read anything FFL related I can get my hands on. I like seeing what a typical daily life is for those guys from entrance to exit in the FFL. One thing that became clear was those guys are some serious road march monkeys. They make the regular ones we did in the Infantry look like childs play.

The real famous book "Legionnaire" by Simon Murray was a great read. During the combat in Algeria those guys covered some serious ground "DAILY." Hard to believe a human can cover that much distance day after day after day on foot. Murray said he was in great shape when he reached his unit there and thought he would have no trouble and the distances they were traveling daily just ground him into the dirt until he got used to it.

Certa Cito 28 December 2009 16:11

Angels of Death
William Marsden and Julian Sher

It's about the Hells Angels. I never knew they were a massive organised crime syndicate, with worldwide influence - as an example, they pretty much introduced speed (the drug) to Australia, and they used stolen AT4s against rival gangs in Scandanavia. I just thought they were a bunch of rowdy blokes on bikes.

Absolutely insane.

KidA 29 December 2009 12:19

James Clavell - King Rat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Rat_(1962_novel)

GPC 30 December 2009 10:41

Fimished The Road now reading Operation Thunderhead.
About a POW rescue attempt in VN by SEALs.Written by Kevin Dockery.

KidA 3 January 2010 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1242382)

Good read, and the bonus is one of the characters was based on Clavell himself and his time in a Jap POW camp.

random 3 January 2010 22:10

Cold Zero by Chris Whitcomb. There's some definite bias in the book, but I'm not familiar enough with the various events to know how much. Inspired me to start researching them to get more familiar, though.

SHHINT 4 January 2010 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC_ANGLICO (Post 1035323)
Just finished Armegeddon in Retrospect by Kurt Voneggut. Actually it was published after his death by his request to his son. It is a collection of shorts that he has written over the years. Classic Voneggut and covers a lot of his time while as a POW in WWII and the bombing of Dresden.

I really enjoyed Armageddon In Retrospect...was on a Vonnegut kick for a couple months but had to stop after reading Cat's Cradle....never did like that one.

I just finished Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman, and am on Three Cups of Tea at the moment. Next after that is Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts...which will likely hold me over until spring :eek::biggrin:

GPC 4 January 2010 12:51

Danger Close by Mike Yon

BlackAdam01 5 January 2010 00:35

Atlas Shrugged-Ayn Rand. My wife said I would like it because of the characters but wasnt sure if that was a good thing or not....we're still waiting.

armyscout33 5 January 2010 10:55

Just finished reading the book Tiger Force that was started by David Hackworth and the spiraled out of control. Never heard of the unit or story behind them until finding the book at the local Barnes and Noble. Great read I highly recommend.

Greenhat 5 January 2010 12:11

Fighting Dirty by Peter Harclerode

KidA 5 January 2010 13:16

Also finally read "Fight Club" recently and am now on "The Once and Future King" which, surprisingly, I've never read.

GPC 7 January 2010 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by armyscout33 (Post 1245910)
Just finished reading the book Tiger Force that was started by David Hackworth and the spiraled out of control. Never heard of the unit or story behind them until finding the book at the local Barnes and Noble. Great read I highly recommend.

I read that book too.Piss poor leadership was a factor for sure.