SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

Tuukka 8 January 2010 16:03

Spec Ops, Case Studies in Special Operations Warfare: Theory and Preface, William H. McRaven.

Tactical Application of Practical Shooting, Pat McNamara.

MikeC2W 8 January 2010 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC2W (Post 1241611)
Outliers: The Story of Success
by Malcolm Gladwell

Really fucking interesting. I don't normally read books like this, it was recommended to me by a 22 year old hot female bartender in NJ. Really interesting read, definitely recommend it.

Author starts with looking at one of the most winning Canadian hockey teams....all the players were born in Jan, Feb, or Mar.... why?

Book kind of fizzle's, would still recommend it though.

Marina 17 January 2010 23:41

The Geopolitics of Emotion: How Cultures of Fear, Humiliation, and Hope are Reshaping the World by Dominique Moisi

Globalization is great - except if you are an Arab male.

The way this author describes geopolitics in human terms reminded me of when a friend explained diplomacy. He said imagine the countries were people with human characteristics - aggressive, deceitful, generous, etc.

So anyway, instead of taking a grand strategic view, Moisi looks at the human feelings manifested in the actions of nations.

I liked it a lot.

Coaster 21 January 2010 00:44

Right now trying to finish up all the Brad Thor novels that I missed am working on "Takedown" now. Also working on writing a western based on an Apache legend.

DYNK 24 January 2010 12:43

Just non informing light fantasy read - Ghost by John Recon

Dino0311 24 January 2010 13:26

http://www.amazon.com/Backstabbing-B.../dp/1568583974

Backstabbing for Beginners was written by a former aide to Benon Savon. Basically, the book details the unbelievable incompetence, corruption and petty bullshit that went on at the UN. This book will make you sick.

GPC 25 January 2010 12:34

Eeben Barlows Executive Outcomes against all odds.

Got lucky a friend of mine got me a copy when he went to SA.

RetPara 26 January 2010 22:09

How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq by Matthew Alexander and John Bruning

Not too much into technique. A good short read.

rocklock 27 January 2010 02:32

Agincourt, by Bernard Cornwell. So far very entertaining read.

Carlos75 27 January 2010 11:11

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Lattrell

Just finished the Hell Week part of the book. Very interesting read so far.

LRSScout 27 January 2010 18:42

Dark Tower Book 4

soupguy 29 January 2010 20:26

How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
The Secret Sentry - Matthew M Aide

Coaster 29 January 2010 22:00

WEB Griffin's Black Ops.

Blackjack7 10 February 2010 04:03

The Ten Thousand-Michael Curtis Ford

Gates of Fire- Steven Pressfield. I know it's been around a while, but I just read it and it's by far the best book I've ever read. I couldn't put it down.

Boats 10 February 2010 08:38

Re-reading Del Veccio's "13th Valley". It had been a long time since I read it.

Blackjack78 10 February 2010 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetPara (Post 1256173)
How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq by Matthew Alexander and John Bruning

Not too much into technique. A good short read.

I thought the dude was very impressed with himself. While I agree with some of his beliefs technique wise, it proved to me anyway, that he has no clue about obtaining timely intelligence. My 02 .

literategrunt 10 February 2010 19:30

Panic! The Story of Modern Financial Insanity, Edited by Michael Lewis(Liar's Poker, Moneyball, The Blind Side etc..). Very informative and hilarious collection of essays, articles and short stories revolving around a central narrative. The narrative being "What the fuck happened to our money?" Lewis worked for Solomon Brothers prior to becoming a professional writer so he has a very informed financial pedigree in addition to being an excellent author.

Marina 26 February 2010 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyco6 (Post 1255523)
Eeben Barlows Executive Outcomes against all odds.

Got lucky a friend of mine got me a copy when he went to SA.

Is it a good read? Eeben's got a blog now. Seems to have an interesting perspective on the opportunities and constraints in his area of expertise.

FinsUp 28 February 2010 00:43

Hollywood Moon- Joseph Wambaugh
Good read, I have been laughing my ass off. I really like the way his characters remind me of some of the Officers I have worked with.

Blackjack7 3 March 2010 04:14

The War That Killed Achilles

Breaks down Homers Illiad into understandable language and looks at the historical and non-historical aspects of the original.