SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

NWPTrainer 3 March 2010 05:42

Just read Stephen Hunter's new Bob Lee Swagger novel, "I, Sniper." Typical Hunter. I liked it. I just don't know how he's gonna kill Swagger off in the end. I mean, is the guy gonna be running sniper missions when he's in his 90s?

And now, he can't even have Swagger have an heir to the gunfighter legacy, since he's got two daughters.....Well, on second thought, I guess he could.....

NWPTrainer 4 March 2010 18:12

I read "The Weapon" by Michael Z. Williamson yesterday (yes, all 600+ pages of it). I'm not a sci-fi guy. Spaceships and 0-G don't hold any allure for me. Neither do phazer rifles and plasma pistols, or etc......

I really, really, REALLY liked this book though. Interesting libertarian philosophy behind it. Earth is run by the UN and is a completely Orwellian-Statist society. The Freehold nations are staunchly libertarian and relatively anti-UN.

Read it. It's worth it, even if you hate sci-fi like I do. I'm gonna use it as recommended reading for a political primer for people now.

FinsUp 5 March 2010 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWPTrainer (Post 1275086)
I read "The Weapon" by Michael Z. Williamson yesterday (yes, all 600+ pages of it).
I really, really, REALLY liked this book though. Interesting libertarian philosophy behind it. Earth is run by the UN and is a completely Orwellian-Statist society. The Freehold nations are staunchly libertarian and relatively anti-UN.

Read it. It's worth it, even if you hate sci-fi like I do. I'm gonna use it as recommended reading for a political primer for people now.

I read this about 2 weeks ago. Good book.

SURFCAV 5 March 2010 15:43

"The Good Soldiers" by David Finkel. One of the best recent books to come out of the OIF campaign. Follows a BN of Big Red One soldiers from Riley to the Surge of 2007 and after. Good perspective on Infantry leaders in a Assymetric enviroment from the BC on down. These dudes took some serious casualties. Not basd for an Embedded reporter, nothing is sugarcoated.I couldn't put it down, read it on one night duty shift.

Sigi 9 March 2010 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massgrunt (Post 1255076)
http://www.amazon.com/Backstabbing-B.../dp/1568583974

Backstabbing for Beginners was written by a former aide to Benon Savon. Basically, the book details the unbelievable incompetence, corruption and petty bullshit that went on at the UN. This book will make you sick.

That goes on at the UN? Oiy, I don't have the stomach for it. Meh, I will take it out of the library and try anyway. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sigi 9 March 2010 18:02

Someone here recommendedToo Big To Fail by Andrew Ross Sorkin. (I think KidA, not sure)

I know zero about Invesment Banking vs Traditional Banking; what/who/why a CDS is (credit default swap); sub-prime mortages and how they made (and lost) billions/trillions.

I know a lot more now that I am into this book 100 pages (it's 544 total.)

But I do recommend this book. It's more investigative and narrative than opinion. But what do I know? I just got done telling you I don't know shit.

Seriously, I don't know much about the subject, but this is written well. I am very into this book, and I think if you are like me and don't understand this stuff and are afraid you cannot get through it, don't be.

Vincent 30 March 2010 20:40

Into two good ones right now:

"Hunting Trips of a Ranchman and The Wilderness Hunter," Theodore Roosevelt and "Why Orwell Matters," by Christopher Hitchens.

parallel 17 May 2010 01:47

I just started reading "As I See It" by Jerry Kleive. This book isn't particularly well written (so far anyway) but I was drawn by it's content. The author wrote this as a way for his children and grandchildren to not only remember him by, but to also truly get to know him by his accounts of the experiences that shaped him. It was the mention of the Navy's UDT's and the picture on the cover that interested me enough to pick this book up off from the shelf, but it was the telling of an ordinary mans life story that got me to check the book out of the local library. LOL... it has been years since I've read for fun and I guess the fact that I read a lot of dry, technical, often boring architectural and engineering books made this book seem exciting in comparison.:redface:

Anyway, I'll post a short review when I've finished.

GPC 18 May 2010 10:03

War by Sebastian Junger good read so far.

MikeC2W 18 May 2010 10:20

Just finished 1984 by George Orwell.

This is actually the first time I've read it since 1984. I have to say, it's worth rereading, especially if you haven't read it since high school. I enjoyed it much more then before.

rhea 18 May 2010 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC2W (Post 1306734)
Just finished 1984 by George Orwell.

This is actually the first time I've read it since 1984. I have to say, it's worth rereading, especially if you haven't read it since high school. I enjoyed it much more then before.

I have never read it in all these years. I finally read Atlas Shrugged several years back and I think I should re-read that one first.

delta447 18 May 2010 17:22

In the middle of "It" by Stephen King, it's good, but I don't have that much time to read :(

S@rge63 19 May 2010 15:57

Yes! one of the best books I've ever read.

S@rge63 19 May 2010 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boats (Post 1263372)
Re-reading Del Veccio's "13th Valley". It had been a long time since I read it.

My post above was a reply to this one..

Hot Mess 20 May 2010 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSwabbie (Post 1241471)
My stepson jason got me "Not a Good Day to Die"... I'm about 1/3 the way through it...to the point where the Recce has taken place and the operation is winding up and everybody is ready to go. Although, I do NOT like the way that the author has treated my SEAL Shipmates... Only a few sentences are neutral, the rest he is really painting them in a pretty bad light. I find it hard to believe almost EVERY SEAL is complaining or as he says - wanting HVT's to be handed to them or not wanting to do alot. Ordinary civilians might swallow all of that.. but I know ALOT of SEALs, I count a few as my friends, I call BULLSHIT on that. I dont know what his problem is.. but i'm not liking the guy alot right now.

I've heard that it talks about what happened to Neil Roberts. I havent gotten to that part..and frankly.. I'm dreading it. I remember the anguish I felt hearing the news reports of what happened to him... it broke my heart. All I can say is, he better treat Neil right or the book will go in the shitter - Literally.

I know the outcome and thats what makes it all the more difficult. Most likely some of you on here were there... if so.. You have my utmost admiration and respect for what you lived through...and the good friends you lost.

Maybe you should read "The Mission The men and Me";) I was with TF-11 then, and I can say from personal account the unit that those SEALs replaced and those SEAL's had two VERY different approaches to doing their job.

zushwa 21 May 2010 12:11

Finally got my hands on a copy of Pamwe Chete. I'm only through part one but it is very good so far.

rhea 21 May 2010 12:28

Internet material on Workplace Bully's and Workplace Mobbing. Very interesting indeed. I will be looking into some of the books written on both.

Bearcat06 21 May 2010 17:55

Inside the Kingdom by Robert Lacey.

Oh3forty1 24 May 2010 17:44

I'm currently reading "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". A loooooooong book, but interesting. I was going to read "Mein Kampf" next, but I think I'm going to pick up "The Devine Comedy" Some of my favorites include;

Brotherhood of the Rose (Awesome spy book)
The Bad Place (Dean Koontz)
IT (Stephen King)
Command in War (Martin Van Creveld)
The Art of War (Sun Tzu) Read about 4 different versions, love it!
And I read all but one book on Carlos Hathcock. Whitefeather is the one I need to get.

poison 24 May 2010 22:04

Reading 'outliers' by malcolm gladwell. Wow, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to hate my childhood now, or rest easy knowing I was doomed from the start? :biggrin: