SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

GPC 22 June 2013 09:50

Sniper by Nicolai Lilin novel about the Chechen war.
Oddly no use of shovels yet.:biggrin:

GirlwithaGlock 22 June 2013 22:55

Today finished Fifty Dead Men Walking by Martin McGartland. Freaking crazy story, can't believe he made it out alive.

Macka 22 June 2013 22:59

Read Going Home and Surviving Home this week. Both were entertaining, made a lot of good points, but sometimes the situations worked out a little too conveniently. But, if you're looking for entertaining and a little thought provoking reading, I recommend these books.

Macka 25 June 2013 11:26

I'm 70 pages into "Holding Their Own". The way the author lays out the collapse of America is spooky as you could see it happening incrementally just like he describes it.

GracieLou 25 June 2013 17:48

The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle.

Great book that is simple and easy to read and understand. Vanguard investors will recognize the author's name and his philosophy - index fund investing for the long haul.

GirlwithaGlock 27 June 2013 18:20

The American Frugal Housewife by Lydia Maria Child. Written in 1832 and contains tons of good simple wisdom.

B 2/75 27 June 2013 19:37

WWZ

12Foxtrot4 27 June 2013 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock (Post 1058294262)
Today finished Fifty Dead Men Walking by Martin McGartland. Freaking crazy story, can't believe he made it out alive.

Great book, we don't get to look through the eyes of those who stand at crossroads and choose a direction. Wonderful view of the inside of "the troubles".

12Foxtrot4

GirlwithaGlock 28 June 2013 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock (Post 1058296101)
The American Frugal Housewife by Lydia Maria Child. Written in 1832 and contains tons of good simple wisdom.

Guys, since last night I found this book online and wanted to share the link, if anyone is interested (it is a free download from The Project Gutenberg):

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13493

With all the recent discussions about health and diet I found Child's General Maxims for Health very much to the point:

Quote:

Rise early. Eat simple food. Take plenty of exercise. Never fear a little fatigue. Let not children be dressed in tight clothes; it is necessary their limbs and muscles should have full play, if you wish for either health or beauty.

Avoid the necessity of a physician, if you can, by careful attention to your diet. Eat what best agrees with your system, and resolutely abstain from what hurts you, however well you may like it. A few days' abstinence, and cold water for a beverage, has driven off many an approaching disease.

leopardprey 28 June 2013 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock (Post 1058296532)
Guys, since last night I found this book online and wanted to share the link, if anyone is interested (it is a free download from The Project Gutenberg):

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13493

With all the recent discussions about health and diet I found Child's General Maxims for Health very much to the point:

From 1832, and still good advice for today. Some things do not change. Thanks for posting.

leopardprey 1 July 2013 08:53

Reading "Behind Japanese Lines - with the OSS in Burma" by Dunlap.

Really good book. Goes into detail about some of the other players as well, such as a Colubmian Order Priest who took all his Cachins from his congregation and joined up with the OSS.

Lot of old photos in the book as well.

Joe723 1 July 2013 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058297197)
Reading "Behind Japanese Lines - with the OSS in Burma" by Dunlap.

Really good book. Goes into detail about some of the other players as well, such as a Colubmian Order Priest who took all his Cachins from his congregation and joined up with the OSS.

Lot of old photos in the book as well.

Sounds really good. I'll put it on my list.

Joe723 1 July 2013 20:54

I'm reading "Leatherstocking Tales" By James Fenimore Cooper - on the first one "The Deerslayer". Written in 1841.
I read it in 5th grade and it's still pretty good. Between this book and John Wayne movies.... very formitive for a young lad.

sabasarge 1 July 2013 22:11

Churchill, by Paul Johnson, one of my favorite historians.
There are plenty of longer (wordier) tomes out there on the subject, but Mr. Johnson does a great job of painting a picture of this remarkable man, warts and all.
The chapters dealing with Churchill's roll in the two World Wars, particularly WWII ('though by no means exclusively), are illuminating to say the least.

GracieLou 5 July 2013 14:29

I just started The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but I hope book is just as good!

GirlwithaGlock 5 July 2013 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 1058298884)
I just started The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I saw the movie and enjoyed it, but I hope book is just as good!

I liked the book quite a bit when I read it back in the day but I didn't even know about the movie. I will look into it!

GPC 8 July 2013 10:05

Into The Fire by Dakota Meyer.

GPC 10 July 2013 09:50

After reading Into The Fire I believe the officer running the TOC and whoever came up with the BS ROE should be flogged.

I believe those Marines could have been saved if they had Artillery support.

NWElkhunter 10 July 2013 12:03

Nonprofit Kit For Dummies

bardog 12 July 2013 09:23

Sultan's Yemen 19th-Century Challenges to Ottoman Rule by Caesar E. Farah