SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

bobdaxx 27 December 2012 23:23

going with Glantz's second stalingrad volume. Finished the first one last year. Awaiting the release of the third.

Good stuff by the master of russo/german war (imho)

Reading about one armed Hans Hube is a lot of fun; (16th Pz CO) (nicknamed "the man") by his troops. Ordered to fly out of the pocket at gun point by 4 thugs just flown in from berlin, after he refused btw.

wmhutchison 27 December 2012 23:38

Stay in the Fight by SGM Kyle Lamb

atfranger 29 December 2012 14:03

Dog Company by Patrick K. O'Donnell. Its about 2nd Ranger Battalion and they're mission on D-Day (Pointe Du Hoc). Great read.

GPC 30 December 2012 19:32

The Outpost by Jake Taper.

GirlwithaGlock 6 January 2013 20:30

Just finished reading How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill.

It was an okay book; I enjoyed some of the anecdotes but in general I prefer a little bit more structured approach to historic books. I didn't think that the author did a good job answering the question posed in the book's title.

jtk317 6 January 2013 20:51

I actually agree with your summation as to the author not quite doing what the title suggests but I did enjoy that book.

zencruser 7 January 2013 13:42

Learning to Race in the Rain

Great read for anyone that has a dog.

Now starting on Matterhorn, I have been waiting to read this for awhile

KidA 7 January 2013 13:47

Fly Fishing for Sharks -- essentially a fisherman/writer goes around the US fishing with different types of fishermen, from a guy who fly fishes for sharks, to people who pack in for trout, to Bass fishermen, etc.

Good read. Pretty much a must read for any fisherman.

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-Sh.../dp/B000C4T45Q

Joe723 7 January 2013 22:15

A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II (almost done and review will be posted)
By Adam Makos and Larry Alexander

Small Unit Actions, Marine Corps History Division

The Black Company series by Glen Cook

jtk317 8 January 2013 17:50

How is the Black Company series? If you've gotten through a book already that is. I've been contemplating starting it as I'm at the end of a few series and waiting for the next book to come out on paperback right now.

Joe723 8 January 2013 23:55

The Black Company. The series is highly rated for this kind of story.
I've enjoyed them. Almost done. Some of them kind of loose momentum but overall they have been a good diversion while traveling. The Company and its characters are entertaining. I’ve got them on Audiobook which helps pass the time.

jtk317 9 January 2013 00:03

Cool. Thanks for the review. I enjoy military history and have benefited from SOCnet and this thread but still enjoy fantasy and sci fi with military fiction woven into it.

MrSmith 9 January 2013 11:53

Just finished Duff McKagan's "It's So Easy (and Other Lies)". Helluva good read. This guy lived about as "rock star" as possible, and came through it all with a lot of humility and a great perspective. I can't really believe his body didn't just shut down completely after reading about the kind of stuff they all go into. It was great to read about how he got to the other side of drug abuse, and got his shit together.

Definitely recommend picking this one up!

GPC 14 January 2013 10:28

Finished The Outpost very good book Tapper did a good job.
I would recommend it.

Starting The One That Got Away by Chris Ryan.

jtk317 14 January 2013 20:33

"How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you" by The Oatmeal

Macka 14 January 2013 23:02

The Art Forger. Just started it. Got great reviews so we will see.

GirlwithaGlock 18 January 2013 21:21

Picked up All the Shah's Men by Stephen Kinzer. I am halfway through with it and so far I found it to be a fascinating read. I am really enjoying Kinzer's writing style; admittedly I do not know enough about the 1953 events to vouch for the accuracy of the facts presented.

jtk317 18 January 2013 21:30

Anybody have any suggestions for a good book or books on the Russian Revolution? Recent comments in another thread as well as discussion with my father have sparked my interest in learning more about the years leading up to it.

Currently reading an anthology of comic fantasy short stories. John Cleese has a particularly funny opening story.

Oldpogue 18 January 2013 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtk317 (Post 1058238609)
Anybody have any suggestions for a good book or books on the Russian Revolution? Recent comments in another thread as well as discussion with my father have sparked my interest in learning more about the years leading up to it.

Currently reading an anthology of comic fantasy short stories. John Cleese has a particularly funny opening story.

Try "August 1914" by Solzhenitsyn, about the period leading up to the revolution and a good description of the Battle of Tannenberg. One of the better books about the Romanovs and the revolution was "Nicholas and Alexandria." by Robert Massie.

Armitage12 19 January 2013 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by zencruser (Post 1058233996)
Great read for anyone that has a dog.

Now starting on Matterhorn, I have been waiting to read this for awhile

Have you read or know of his other book _What
It Is Like To Go To War_? If you don't, follow Matterhorn immediately with that one. (Don't read them in parallel). Matterhorn is a stunning work that goes to the very last paragraph. I rea it in about three intense days. As a civilian and academic, I found a lot of good insights in What It Is Like to connect with what I teach. Remarkably, it also made me think about how I was going to raise my boys as teenagers.

Armitage12 19 January 2013 10:20

Just starting American Rifle: A Biography by Alexander Rose. Not too technical, covers from the 1660s to the last decade to explore what is this weapon as conceived and redefined by those who live in what became the United States.

GirlwithaGlock 19 January 2013 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtk317 (Post 1058238609)

Good books on the Russian Revolution (I assume you are referring to the one of 1917, not 1905) are so hard to come by, at least in my experience. There is just so much bias, especially in the memoirs. Sometimes it is a good idea to read the accounts of representatives from both sides of the fence and hope that the truth lies somewhere in between.

Having said that, Oldpogue's recommendations are very good. A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution: 1891-1924 written by Orlando Figes is a decent book that does a good job covering the economic, social, and political events prior to the Revolution.

Also, should you look for a good read about the period after the Revolution, I highly recommend the memoirs of Boris Bazhanov. Bazhanov was a secretary of Politburo and Stalin's personal assistant who defected from the Soviet Union in 1928. First he crossed into Iran (Stalin promised Iranian government to resolve all ongoing border disputes in their favor if they were to expel Bazhanov), was pursued by assassins and then was given political asylum in France. You may find Bazhanov's descriptions of Lenin, Stalin and other prominent leaders as well as Kremlin's intrigues to be quite interesting.

jtk317 19 January 2013 16:51

Thank you Op and GwaG. I will be looking into each of these. I swear SOCnet never lets ya down. :biggrin:

GirlwithaGlock 23 January 2013 17:17

Today I started reading The Journals of Lewis and Clark. So far I would characterize the book as wholesome fun. :smile:

jtk317 24 January 2013 20:54

"The Wind Through the Keyhole" Stephen King.

It's a connecting story between Dark Tower 4 and 5.

BOFH 24 January 2013 21:19

"The Three Musketeers" --Alexandre Dumas pere.

Also (re)reading "Starting Strength" --Mark Rippetoe

Armitage12 24 January 2013 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOFH (Post 1058240785)
"The Three Musketeers" --Alexandre Dumas pere.

Also (re)reading "Starting Strength" --Mark Rippetoe

Loved Three Muskteers, and the humor that went on within it. You'll like also the Count of Monte Christo too, after you finish Man in the Iron Mask.

BOFH 24 January 2013 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage12 (Post 1058240788)
Loved Three Muskteers, and the humor that went on within it. You'll like also the Count of Monte Christo too, after you finish Man in the Iron Mask.

Lol...just finished Count of Monte Cristo, again...it's my favorite book. I've read the Man in the Iron Mask once, but had never read the Three Musketeers before...so now I'm knocking that one out as well.

Armitage12 24 January 2013 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOFH (Post 1058240789)
Lol...just finished Count of Monte Cristo, again...it's my favorite book. I've read the Man in the Iron Mask once, but had never read the Three Musketeers before...so now I'm knocking that one out as well.

Great! Such a set of contrasts--revenge, and reward. Delicious. I got to read those and then lots of Joseph Conrad while taking the DC Metro every morning for nine months. Nothing like a 45 minute train ride twice a day to give you time to use productively.

CAP MARINE 24 January 2013 21:35

A book about the 761st tank battalion-book is signed by K.A.Jabbar(Lakers)

WS-G 4 February 2013 20:56

Kindwall EP & Niezgoda JA (2006). Hyperbaric Medicine Procedures (9th ed.). Milwaukee, WI: Aurora St. Luke's. ACHM was offering this one on a discount and my copy just arrived today.

GPC 7 February 2013 10:05

Heroes Proved by Oliver North really good novel with some sci-fi in it.

Bearcat06 7 February 2013 10:16

Just stared:

A Foot Soldier for Patton: The Story of a "Red Diamond" Infantryman with the U.S. Third Army - Michael Bilder

GirlwithaGlock 7 February 2013 17:38

Halfway through Why Intelligence Fails: Lessons from the Iranian Revolution and the Iraq War by Jervis.

Linda1961 7 February 2013 19:09

Re-reading "Point of Impact" by Stephen Hunter.

AustinPT 8 February 2013 06:39

Just finished "Blackhorse Riders", an account of a little known firefight/rescue mission by the 11th ACR in Vietnam. Excellent read. Starting Dalton Fury's "Black Site". Working my way through a 2 foot stack of books. Damn Amazon and their "one click" purchasing button

Joe723 8 February 2013 09:25

"The Complete M1 Garand" and "Ghost Soldiers"

Dino0311 8 February 2013 10:33

I enjoyed Duff McKagan's book, and Matterhorn was awesome and incredibly frustrating. I can totally see the blunders and wasted lives depicted on the book.

I loved "The Three Musketeers" and "The Count of Monte Cristo". I should read "The Man in the Iron Mask" too.

Right now I'm reading "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett. It's an epic in classic Follet style, a huge cast of characters going through WWI through the eyes of people on all sides.

I've also been reading a bunch of Bernard Cornwell books, the series about Uhtred, I forget the title. Great stuff.

GPC 8 February 2013 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massgrunt (Post 1058247384)
Right now I'm reading "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett. It's an epic in classic Follet style, a huge cast of characters going through WWI through the eyes of people on all sides.

I'm reading Diamondhead by Patrick Robinson.
My mom liked the Ken Follett book might have to borrow it.

osubuckeye762 8 February 2013 17:01

I read The March to Glory by Robert Leckie and Code-Talker- The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII at NTC.

I started reading Panzer Aces at the USO in Ontario, CA. A slow read for me, but I am finding it very informative.