SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

PV74RU78 13 October 2013 15:40

For about the 4th time - reading the "American Bicentennial Series" by John Jakes. On Volume 5 of 8. Always enjoyed how he wove characters' relationships with historical figures.

On a side note - was doing some reminiscing about high school plays I performed in, some 40 years ago. Looked up our Senior Play, which was a musical comedy spoof called "Dracula, Baby". Extremely surprised to find out the lyrics were written by - John Jakes.

GPC 18 October 2013 12:21

Proof Of Our Resolve by Txchris.

KidA 18 October 2013 16:36

"Young Men and Fire"

by Norman McClean (A River Runs Through It)

about the 1949 Mann Gulch wilderness fire that killed 13 smokejumpers within an hour of their jumping in.

The fire turned into a "Blow up" and is estimated to have burned over 3,000 acres in 10 minutes.

A blow up is apparently the worst kind of fire - it's akin to a "fire tornado" where the temperature is so hot as to immediately incinerate (not burn) anything flammable and the winds are so intense due to the heat that it literally explodes.

Quote:

Everyone had jumped by around 4:10 p.m. The scattered cargo had been gathered at about 5:00 p.m. At about 5:45 p.m., the crew had seen the fire coming up towards them on the north slope and had turned to run. By four minutes to 6:00 the fire had swept over them. The time at which the fire engulfed the men was judged by the melted hands on Harrison's pocketwatch, forever frozen at 5:56 p.m. by the intense heat. Studies estimated that the fire covered 3,000 acres in 10 minutes during this blow-up stage. An hour and 45 minutes after they arrived. Thirteen firefighters died, eleven killed in the fire itself and two more sustained fatal burns. Only three of the sixteen survived.
By accounts in the book the temps in a blow up are so intense that trees spontaneously explode due to super heated resin - not where they burn long enough to get hot enough to do so, but do so almost instantaneously.

3,000 acres is almost 5 square miles - incinerated in 10 minutes.

To put it in perspective when they jumped it was a small fire they thought they'd get contained in a few hours.

The blow up covered 3,000 acres in ten minutes.

Even though it continued to burn for 5 more days...

Quote:

Four hundred fifty men fought for five more days to get the fire under control, which had spread to 4,500 acres (1,800 ha).
In those extra 5 days it only covered an additional 1500 acres.

Murph 21 October 2013 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058333384)
"Young Men and Fire"

by Norman McClean (A River Runs Through It)

Look up the tune Cold Missouri Waters by James Keelaghan. Great book; great song.

B 2/75 21 October 2013 06:35

Deliverance

Pretty good so far

Charlie Waite 21 October 2013 19:13

The Mission The Men and Me, by Col. Blaber.

Dino0311 21 October 2013 22:06

"Whitey", about Whitey Bulger. "Before They Are Hanged", by Joe Abercrombie, a swords and sorcery novel. And I forget the title, but the second of the century trilogy by Ken Follett.

Bearcat06 22 October 2013 00:32

Across A Corn-Swept Land: An Epic Beer Run Through the Upper Midwest by Jason Offut

One of my buddies that teaches at NW MO State U wrote this about when he was a undergrad. Funny as hell and a very short read. Got it on kindle for 8 bucks.

OutsideTheB 28 October 2013 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat06 (Post 1058334237)
Across A Corn-Swept Land: An Epic Beer Run Through the Upper Midwest by Jason Offut

One of my buddies that teaches at NW MO State U wrote this about when he was a undergrad. Funny as hell and a very short read. Got it on kindle for 8 bucks.

Me thinks you have way too much expertise about beer, beercat. :biggrin:

Bearcat06 29 October 2013 06:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutsideTheB (Post 1058336892)
Me thinks you have way too much expertise about beer, beercat. :biggrin:

Probably...

Its a pretty funny book and made for light reading.... I was done with it in a few hours...

OutsideTheB 31 October 2013 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat06 (Post 1058336927)
Probably...

Its a pretty funny book and made for light reading.... I was done with it in a few hours...

:biggrin:

RN47 31 October 2013 20:47

"My Losing Season" Pat Conroy. Sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's office, and saw this book. Burned through almost 50 pages and then downloaded on kindle when I came home. Really well written, and the first Conroy book I've ever read.

CAP MARINE 1 November 2013 15:54

Finished LET'S RIDE
Sonny Barger

Ron Flowers 3 November 2013 20:57

"Beautiful Outlaw," by John Elderedge

Macka 3 November 2013 21:22

"Escaping Home" by Angery American.

GPC 4 November 2013 14:27

The first three books in the WTF series by W.J. Lundy.

About a AQ bio-weapon that starts a Zombie apocalypse.And a group of Military survivors trying to get stateside from A-stan.Easy enjoyable read.

KidA 4 November 2013 15:00

Gobi: Tracking the Desert
John Man

Very well written (surprisingly well written actually considering I've never heard of the guy) book about travels through Mongolia and the Gobi.

Worth the price:

http://www.amazon.com/Gobi-Tracking-.../dp/0300076096

Ranger5280 5 November 2013 12:41

Brilliance by Marcus Sakey

"an adventure that’s at once breakneck thriller and shrewd social commentary; a gripping tale of a world fundamentally different and yet horrifyingly similar to our own, where being born gifted can be a terrible curse."

CAP MARINE 5 November 2013 13:15

Will b going to B&N to get another biker/undercover book

ShortTimer 8 November 2013 06:59

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank.
3rd time around, great book.

HF0311 14 November 2013 15:29

Just started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, about a young man who joins up with a group of scalp hunters in Texas during the late 1850's. So far its a pretty good read, its very violent, gritty portrayal of a part of American history that few know about.

doubs43 20 November 2013 15:00

Every war the US has been involved in since the Revolution holds my interest but the war I find most fascinating is the Korean War. I've read a dozen or more books about it and still look for more.

I've just finished "The Last Parallel" by Martin Russ, a Marine who kept a dairy of his time there in 1953. It's an interesting firsthand account.

Now I'm reading "The War for Korea, 1945 - 1950. A House Burning" by Allan R. Millett. It covers the political maneuvering during the time from the Japanese surrender in 1945 until the invasion of the South by the North Koreans. Some pre-1945 facts are covered as background and the US Military involvement in administering below the 38th Parallel until our withdrawal that left a few advisers to assist the South Koreans.

A second, much larger volume covering the actual war awaits when I'm finished with volume one.

Murph 20 November 2013 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by HF0311 (Post 1058342610)
Just started Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, about a young man who joins up with a group of scalp hunters in Texas during the late 1850's. So far its a pretty good read, its very violent, gritty portrayal of a part of American history that few know about.

In no particular order:

Huck Finn, Gatsby, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Blood Meridian, Moby Dick.

aufruhrer 20 November 2013 22:10

Former Operator - Lt. Col. Brad Taylor (fiction)

ONE ROUGH MAN
ALL NECESSARY FORCE
ENEMY OF MINE
THE WIDOW'S STRIKE

UGA_11B 21 November 2013 01:37

House to House: SSG Bellavia with John R Bruning. For the third time now. I discover new things each time. It's such a great book. I feel that the Army was "under-played" in the Fallujah Assaults. This book brings light to a small part of the Army role in the city.

UGA_11B 21 November 2013 01:46

However there was a Marine Commander in Fallujah who requested a "hard charging unit like 2-2 IN" in the book "No True Glory". I forget the author's name but it was a great look into the Seige, and recapture of Fallujah. However I thought there was a lot of politics spread in the book that kept detracting me from focusing on the role the Marines played.

Mods, sorry for not including this in the above message. I had a momentary loss of thought process. I will ensure it doesn't happen again.

B 2/75 21 November 2013 08:52

Pretty cool so far: yet another Project Gutenberg freebie ;)

Before Adam
by Jack London
3.85 of 5 stars 3.85 rating details 546 ratings 41 reviews
Written in 1906, "Before Adam" is a bit of a departure from London's other novels. It revolves around the dreams of a young boy, dreams that involve racial memories and the knowledge of his prior existence as a man-like creature named Big Tooth living in prehistoric times. "These are our ancestors, and their history is our history. Remember that as surely as we one day swung down out of the trees and walked upright, just as surely, on a far earlier day, did we crawl up out of the sea and achieve our first adventure on land."(less)
Paperback, 112 pages

Bearcat06 26 November 2013 07:42

Starting the The Great Santini by Pat Conroy. $8.50 on Kindle.

Whitebean54 26 November 2013 07:58

The Sound and the Fury by William Falukner

Linda1961 28 November 2013 02:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by aufruhrer (Post 1058344408)
Former Operator - Lt. Col. Brad Taylor (fiction)

ONE ROUGH MAN
ALL NECESSARY FORCE
ENEMY OF MINE
THE WIDOW'S STRIKE

Brad Taylor's "Black Flag" Taskforce story leading up to his next book.

Also, David Baldaicci's "King and Maxwell" and "Honor & Betrayal" by Patrick Robinson.

brcannon 28 November 2013 23:29

Civilian Warriors- Erik Prince

Many different real estate books

GirlwithaGlock 29 November 2013 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058339221)
Gobi: Tracking the Desert
John Man

Great recommendation - thank you! I am really enjoying this book!

WS-G 30 November 2013 06:44

AHA's Pediatric Advanced Life Support.

Macka 1 December 2013 17:51

The Survivalist (Anarchy Rising) by Dr. Arthur Bradley on my iPad Kindle app.

This is book 2 in a series. The first book The Survivalist (Frontier justice) was pretty good. a quick and entertaining read if not a little formulatic.

Dr. Bradley's Amazon authors page.

Murph 2 December 2013 00:43

Killing Pablo, Bowden. I swore a blood oath I'd finish it--and I will, damn it!

Dark Helmet 2 December 2013 01:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murph (Post 1058347291)

Read it twice. You should enjoy it.

hawkdrver 2 December 2013 02:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murph (Post 1058347291)

Great book.

Mr.Smith 2 December 2013 17:33

The Trident: The forging and reforging of a Navy SEAL leader

RN47 2 December 2013 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murph (Post 1058344397)
In no particular order:

... For Whom the Bell Tolls...

Sadly, at my advanced age I am reading this for the first time. Hemingway is an acquired taste, but this book has grown on me quite a bit.

SOTB 2 December 2013 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murph

I think it isn't a bad book, but I have my doubts as to all of the things in the book happening as he relates them....