SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

rgrdrew 3 December 2013 13:40

Just got "We Die Alone" from my father-in-law. WWII story about ex-pat Norwegian commandos attempting a raid from northern England into German held Norway. Contact double crosses them and one man (Jan Baalsrud) survives to E&E. Should be a good one!

Just Another Guy 3 December 2013 14:43

I'm reading Brad Taylor's books on Kindle and like them so far.

I also see Amazon is running a special on books by Jon Land about a character named "Blaine McCracken", ex-SF and disgraced CIA.

Haven't read any yet, but would like a review.

Oh, in many of his on-line bios Land states "... He is an associate member of the US Special Forces . ..." (not SFA). Never heard of such a thing.

Rockville 4 December 2013 00:44

Commerce Raiding: Historical Case Studies, 1755-2009

http://www.usnwc.edu/Publications/Na...rt-Papers.aspx
or
pdf at http://www.usnwc.edu/getattachment/3...mmerce-Web.pdf

Rockville 4 December 2013 00:47

There was a movie about the guy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050762/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1a


Quote:

Originally Posted by rgrdrew (Post 1058347723)
Just got "We Die Alone" from my father-in-law. WWII story about ex-pat Norwegian commandos attempting a raid from northern England into German held Norway. Contact double crosses them and one man (Jan Baalsrud) survives to E&E. Should be a good one!


GPC 4 December 2013 11:01

Finished The Rampage of Ryan O'hara,Countdown M Day by Tom Kratman.

Started Civilian Warriors by Erik Prince.

Mr.Smith 5 December 2013 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGA_11B (Post 1058344492)
House to House: SSG Bellavia with John R Bruning. For the third time now. I discover new things each time. It's such a great book. I feel that the Army was "under-played" in the Fallujah Assaults. This book brings light to a small part of the Army role in the city.

My buddy was an MP out there during that time.

osubuckeye762 6 December 2013 16:51

I was at the library this afternoon and picked up ORR: My story by Bobby Orr.

I am also reading Pinkerton's Great Detective: The Amazing life and times of James McParland.


I just finished Dam Busters: The True Story of the Inventors and Airmen Who Led the Devastating Raid to Smash the German Dams in 1943 and Wrestling with the Devil: The True Story of a World Champion Professional Wrestler - His Reign, Ruin, and Redemption by Lex Luger.

Linda1961 7 December 2013 04:59

Just started Tom Clancy's last book..."Command Authority".
Regarding Vince Flynn...I will miss the "Mitch Rapp" books.

RIP both Clancy and Flynn and thanks for all the enjoyment I received while reading your books.

Jimmur275 8 December 2013 01:18

The Kentucky Rifle, By Capt John G. W. Dillin. Came out in 1925 the NRA reprint in 1998. Great history on the rifles that led us in to accurate weapons and marksmanship. Have one being built now in the Lancaster school and can't wait to hunt with it...

UGA_11B 8 December 2013 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Smith (Post 1058348248)
My buddy was an MP out there during that time.

That's pretty cool. I'm sure he had his share of close calls and shit days (no pun intended). My squad leader overseas was a PV2 in 2-2 when they went into Fallujah. He actually is the one who told me about the book. And, I'm very thankful he did. Our guys did great things there, and had a hell of a fight in their hands. I also work with a Marine who served in Fallujah and during the invasion on Iraq. From what I gather from him, this book brings only a nibble of the fighting and ferocity involved in the taking of the city...etc. IMHO that may have been the most intense fight in Iraq. I never got the chance to go to OIF, only OEF. But I've heard mostly Fallujah and Ramadi (sorry if I spelled that wrong) were the worse places.

Great book. I highly recommend it for anybody.

Mr.Smith 8 December 2013 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGA_11B (Post 1058349177)
That's pretty cool. I'm sure he had his share of close calls and shit days (no pun intended). My squad leader overseas was a PV2 in 2-2 when they went into Fallujah. He actually is the one who told me about the book. And, I'm very thankful he did. Our guys did great things there, and had a hell of a fight in their hands. I also work with a Marine who served in Fallujah and during the invasion on Iraq. From what I gather from him, this book brings only a nibble of the fighting and ferocity involved in the taking of the city...etc. IMHO that may have been the most intense fight in Iraq. I never got the chance to go to OIF, only OEF. But I've heard mostly Fallujah and Ramadi (sorry if I spelled that wrong) were the worse places.

Great book. I highly recommend it for anybody.

I actually might check it out now that you have mentioned it. I only get bits and pieces of certain things that he had to go through out there. No doubt it sucked and was a deadly time. But only stories I have read about fallujah and Ramadi come from Special Operations guys.

UGA_11B 8 December 2013 20:45

Also check out "No True Glory: a Frontline Account of the Battle of Fallujah". It's similar to "House to House", but from more of the Marine contributions. It has some details on the political and leadership aspect, and also goes in depth with Marines inside the city. It also touches on Ramadi and how tough of a fight they encountered there.

"American Sniper" by Chris Kyle also talks a lot about Fallujah. Not only being a SEAL was he tasked with hi-profile missions, he embedded himself within Marine and Army Sniping sections/teams and also the common Sniper support for the grunts. It is probably one of the best books I've read.... Ever

Mr.Smith 8 December 2013 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGA_11B (Post 1058349385)
Also check out "No True Glory: a Frontline Account of the Battle of Fallujah". It's similar to "House to House", but from more of the Marine contributions. It has some details on the political and leadership aspect, and also goes in depth with Marines inside the city. It also touches on Ramadi and how tough of a fight they encountered there.

"American Sniper" by Chris Kyle also talks a lot about Fallujah. Not only being a SEAL was he tasked with hi-profile missions, he embedded himself within Marine and Army Sniping sections/teams and also the common Sniper support for the grunts. It is probably one of the best books I've read.... Ever

"American Sniper" was one of the first books I have picked up in a long time, and I do not regret it. It was also my introduction into the special operations world. It is what led me to "Lone Survivor" and several other great stories of these warriors. American Sniper is one of my favorites.

Murph 10 December 2013 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet (Post 1058347307)
Read it twice. You should enjoy it.

^^ Re: Killing Pablo. Did enjoy it very much. I got a little bogged down in some of the minutiae of who he was, but in the end it made good sense.

Now reading "Hunting the Jackal" by Billy Waugh. I've had it for a while and didn't read it until now. Thought it was all about Carlos the Jackal, much like "Killing Pablo" but I was wrong. Really a good read, well written.

JoeArmyNCO 11 December 2013 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda1961 (Post 1058348965)
Just started Tom Clancy's last book..."Command Authority".
Regarding Vince Flynn...I will miss the "Mitch Rapp" books.

RIP both Clancy and Flynn and thanks for all the enjoyment I received while reading your books.

Just started Command Authority myself. Looks pretty good so far buy my biggest problem is getting some good quiet time to read.

DRS7963 11 December 2013 18:15

[QUOTE=Murph;1058350135]^^ Re: Killing Pablo. Did enjoy it very much. I got a little bogged down in some of the minutiae of who he was, but in the end it made good sense.

I enjoyed reading about the Los Pepes who pursued Pablo. Bowdens latest work "The Finish" is not quite as good as "BlackHawk Down" and "Killing Pablo".

DRS7963 11 December 2013 18:30

I just saw that Mark Owens author of "No Easy Day" has a book coming out May 2014 titled "No Hero". It is a collection of stories from his career that had the greatest impact on him.

UGA_11B 12 December 2013 19:10

I will pre-order it immediately. "No Easy Day" was a great book, I look forward to the new one!

Mr.Smith 25 December 2013 15:22

In the middle of reading "Honor and Betrayal". I have to say holy shit! The treatment those SEALs got all on the words of a terrorist and some dumbass kid!

SOTB 25 December 2013 15:33

^^^^Isn't the author of Honor and Betrayal the same guy exposed by SEALs as being both a fraud and a scam artist?

ShortTimer 25 December 2013 16:25

Just finished A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison, one of the most awesome/fucked up things I've ever read. More or less same as I felt about the movie.

Mr.Smith 25 December 2013 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOTB (Post 1058354277)
^^^^Isn't the author of Honor and Betrayal the same guy exposed by SEALs as being both a fraud and a scam artist?

I'm not sure about that, something I will have to look into unless anyone on here knows.

Bearcat06 25 December 2013 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOTB (Post 1058354277)
^^^^Isn't the author of Honor and Betrayal the same guy exposed by SEALs as being both a fraud and a scam artist?

Yes Sir it is... Amazon has some folks blasting the crap out of him.....

JoeArmyNCO 25 December 2013 19:43

Unwrapped "Lone Survivor" this morning and have not been able to out it down. I'll finish it in a few hours.

Mr.Smith 26 December 2013 00:53

Graham Ware of Scottsdale, AZ (falsely portrayed in the book as our “supporter”) was exposed by Navy SEALs in July 2012, running a scam called SupportTheSeals.
The Navy SEALs who exposed Graham Ware include prominent Navy SEALs:
Marcus Luttrell (“Lone Survivor”),
Don Shipley (Extreme SEALs Experience),
CAPT Larry Bailey (Special Operations Speaks),
and other highly decorated Navy SEALS.
They issued a Cease and Desist letter to Ware and his organization. In retaliation Graham Ware deliberately transferred secure information to the enemy, leading terrorists to our homes. He even went as far as pretending to be Marcus Luttrell on twitter, making false claims that Marcus was/is his friend. FALSE.


This is among some of the things written about this. Pure crazyness.

Murph 26 December 2013 04:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortTimer (Post 1058354284)
Just finished A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison, one of the most awesome/fucked up things I've ever read. More or less same as I felt about the movie.

Movie version with Don Johnson, a Wichita boy (like me--well, I grew up in Kansas and lived in Wichita for 18 months during high school.) I love that he wore a Jayhawks tee shirt in the series finale of Miami Vice.


EDIT: Oh, books-- Not a Good Day to Die. Awesome book, tough to keep the players straight but that's more my problem than the author's (Naylor) fault. I think I'm going to read it again after I finish it tonight. Jimmy is my hero.

Karaya1 26 December 2013 11:37

On my 4th book in the last three days. I love Christmas, plenty of time to just go for runs and read.

Spec Ops by McRaven
The mission, the men and me by Blaber
Who will teach the wisdom? by Bax

Just started Accidental Guerrilla by Kilcullen.

All good and beneficial reads imho.

24/7 27 December 2013 13:13

Good to Great - Why some companies make the leap and others don't.

Interesting read.

Kip 27 December 2013 13:39

I'm almost to the end of Taking Up The Sword: The Story of a Special Agent in the Diplomatic Security Service.

Pretty interesting read.

UGA_11B 28 December 2013 19:26

Warrior Elite: The Forging of SEAL Class 228.

Wow. I thought it would be a documentary in book form. It is way more in depth than I thought. Great book!

Getting ready to start The Finishing School. Gotta love lazy time.

Murph 29 December 2013 02:12

One Hundred Victories: Special Ops and the Future of American Warfare; Linda Robinson

I'm pretty sure the title should have been "Special Forces..." not "Ops." I'm not very far into it but did some flipping around and looking for familiar names in the index. I'll be interested in getting the opinions of some of our SF guys. What seems to me to be the premise of the book is taking her in odd directions....

DRS7963 29 December 2013 19:12

The Warrior Elite is one of my favorite SEAL books. The Finishing School is interesting but it is more dry and you learn very little about the men behind the story. A great BUD/S book is "Suffer in Silence". I was highly impressed with it.

DRS7963 29 December 2013 19:14

Oh yea I am reading "The Unarmed Truth: My Fight To Blow The Whistle And Expose Fast and Furious"

Mr.Smith 29 December 2013 21:41

Just got done with Honor and Betrayal. After learning about some of the lies this guy portrayed in his book, you kind of wonder about some of the story line and if it is accurate. Obviously these guys beat the charges so that is a positive. At the end of the day it seems pretty shitty the way the government and the Navy went after these guys but the truth prevailed in the end. God bless those SEAls and you special operator guys out there.

HF0311 30 December 2013 12:44

Just started rereading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, its been at least a few years since I read it and it was on a suggested reading list from someone I respect so im giving it another go over, honestly I think the book could have been better done, but the information in it makes it worth reading.

GPC 3 January 2014 11:29

Finished The Countdown series by Tom Kratman.Really enjoyed Leo Jenkins book.

Going to start EMP Equipping Modern Patriots by Jonathan Hollerman.

Semp 8 January 2014 15:45

I've got the book "Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War" by Robert Gates on order. Should be interesting to read his comments on the current administration.

usmc_3m 8 January 2014 16:23

Legions of Rome: The Definitive History of Every Imperial Roman Legion (by Stephen Dando-Collins). I was inspired to buy this after watching the movie "The Eagle".

Killer Elite 2nd Ed (Michael Smith) - interested in seeing what has changed since the first edition.

GPC 8 January 2014 17:04

Read The Bracken Anthology by Matt Bracken.Series of essays and fiction short stories.

Now reading Legion by Leo Champion.Takes place 450 years in the future about the United States Foreign Legion.Guy signs up drunk after a guy tells him he can back out.:biggrin::eek:

What I like is M16s are used by the USFL 450 years into the future.

Oldpogue 8 January 2014 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmc_3m (Post 1058357450)
Legions of Rome: The Definitive History of Every Imperial Roman Legion (by Stephen Dando-Collins). I was inspired to buy this after watching the movie "The Eagle".

You may also like "Caeser's Legion" by Stephen Collins. Its mainly about the tenth legion which was his original but it also covers some of the other legions. One thing that surprised me was that most of his legionnaires were of Spanish origin.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved