SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

UGA_11B 8 January 2014 18:00

I just finished "The Finishing School" by Dick Couch. It was a great read. It didn't tell much of a story about the men in training, but it was very informative IMO. It gave me a new found respect for SEALs, and their training. I would have never thought of some of the funny things you read about, and I thought BUDS was the majority of SEAL training. Needless to say, I've learned alot.

I would really recommend reading "The Warrior Elite" before this book and "Down Range" afterwards. They are all by the same author, and complement each other well.

OutsideTheB 8 January 2014 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semp (Post 1058357440)
I've got the book "Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War" by Robert Gates on order. Should be interesting to read his comments on the current administration.

There are quotes that are real doozies in this one. More sickening then usual. I'm sure you've heard about the firestorm already, but in case you haven't --

Bob Woodward has been able to review the book, and according to his review, Gates writes the following:

“Hillary told the president that her opposition to the [2007] surge in Iraq had been political because she was facing him in the Iowa primary. ... The president conceded vaguely that opposition to the Iraq surge had been political. To hear the two of them making these admissions, and in front of me, was as surprising as it was dismaying.”

The quotes regarding the ramp up in Afghanistan are even more sickening.

usmc_3m 10 January 2014 01:29

Thanks much, Oldpogue. I will put this on my list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldpogue (Post 1058357484)
You may also like "Caeser's Legion" by Stephen Collins. Its mainly about the tenth legion which was his original but it also covers some of the other legions. One thing that surprised me was that most of his legionnaires were of Spanish origin.

5326 10 January 2014 15:42

This book falsely presents dangerous crook, Graham Ware of Scottsdale AZ as Navy SEALs supporter! It is FALSE!
Ware (better known among SEALs as Widow Stalker) was exposed by us (SEALs) in 2012, swindling veterans charities. I in retaliation crook tried to murder our families by passing information about our families and children to accounts on twitter with suspected ties to terrorists..

Graham Ware has no affiliation with our community (Navy SEALs). This book gave a crook new platform to attack our families and charities again. Read other 1-star reviews on Amazon by Navy SEALs! Amazon is blocking many of them from posting their reviews. Gold Star Wife, widow of fallen Teammate is banned by Amazon from posting her reviews there. They keep deleting her reviews within 3 minutes. She is speaking against this book.

DON'T BUY THIS BOOK until it is fixed and dangerous crook removed from the book!

Just google this or follow the links:
Graham Ware + theft + CBS KPHO 5 Arizona News
Graham Ware + theft + support the seals scam
Graham Ware + OptZona new scam,
Graham Ware + veterans charities scam + ******
Graham Ware + scam + brandjacking veterans charities

Gold Star Mom is speaking out Graham Ware:
http://www.kpho.com/story/22222701/s...arity-websites

http://jeffreycarr.blogspot.com/2013...ham-wares.html

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...EALS-Charities

http://******.com/11993/exposed-supp...not-a-charity/

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=32248

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BrXJp8CJco (youtube video of Ware attacking one of our charities recorded live by Navy SEALs)

http://digital2957.rssing.com/chan-7299159/all_p5.html

Silverbullet 10 January 2014 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutsideTheB (Post 1058357547)
There are quotes that are real doozies in this one. More sickening then usual. I'm sure you've heard about the firestorm already, but in case you haven't --

Bob Woodward has been able to review the book, and according to his review, Gates writes the following:

“Hillary told the president that her opposition to the [2007] surge in Iraq had been political because she was facing him in the Iowa primary. ... The president conceded vaguely that opposition to the Iraq surge had been political. To hear the two of them making these admissions, and in front of me, was as surprising as it was dismaying.”

The quotes regarding the ramp up in Afghanistan are even more sickening.

I never liked Gates. His experience reads like the rear echelon dude who managed to backdoor his way into the operational side of then house while never having to pay the dues.

Unlike the fawning press and others who seem to think he's done a great service, I think he further proved he's nobody that I would give responsibility to. It's a sad state of affairs where a person is privy to all the corruption and outright lies that are sending people to their deaths, yet he doesn't resign.

I'm sure he has the usual "I was trying to fix it within" excuse.

Bearcat06 11 January 2014 23:12

https://www.bookbub.com/

Sends you emails and lets you know of free/reduced priced books for most Ereading devices.....

B 2/75 12 January 2014 03:11

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

I just finished it, going back to cover it again after having read it as a kid. Outstanding work. Covers the millennium of war service by draftee Mandella and his sweetie, Marygay Potter, their lengthy service thanks to Einsteinian time dilation as they fight those rascally aliens.

Just found out that he wrote a sequel, Forever Free, which I'm grabbing from B&N for my Nook. It extends the adventure of Mandella.

WS-G 12 January 2014 09:06

But for the Grace of God. Autobiography of William R. Pogue, USAF (ret). Tentatively slated for a Command Module Pilot seat on one of the cancelled Apollo missions, flew as CMP on the last Skylab crew. Although Dr. Owen Garriott could potentially argue to the distinction, he could easily lay claim to "first teacher-in-space" in addition to all the rest in his career (deployments in Korea and Europe, Empire Test Pilot School, the Thunderbirds, etc.). He was in his final year at university, studying to become a schoolteacher, when the Korean War broke out. Having earned his baccalaureate in education, he wouldn't have qualified for either NASA or ETPS if not for that MA in mathematics he earned several years into his Air Force career. He even spent a tour teaching maths at the AF Academy before receiving his orders to ETPS; he even remarks on his tour as an academy lecturer being one of the more enjoyable tours in his active duty career.

SOTB 12 January 2014 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 2/75
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman....

I really like this book, and like yourself, remember first reading it as a kid....

CAP MARINE 12 January 2014 18:16

New book coming out in July-Defend and Befriend about CAP platoons in Nam.

OutsideTheB 12 January 2014 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverbullet (Post 1058357982)
I never liked Gates. His experience reads like the rear echelon dude who managed to backdoor his way into the operational side of then house while never having to pay the dues.

Unlike the fawning press and others who seem to think he's done a great service, I think he further proved he's nobody that I would give responsibility to. It's a sad state of affairs where a person is privy to all the corruption and outright lies that are sending people to their deaths, yet he doesn't resign.

I'm sure he has the usual "I was trying to fix it within" excuse.

Funny you should say that, SB. I could never put my finger on it, but I've always had a weird sense about him too. I just thought my instincts were way off given how people along the diverse political spectrum have always praised him. I thought maybe I was missing something. When he was asked to stay on by President Obama, I remember thinking to myself, "why are you giving him the cover of your crediblity?"

One thing that annoys me for sure, though, is that if he felt that way at the time, why didn't he do something about it....at the time.

I also never understood how he could praise POTUS' decision on the Afghanistan surge.

Gray Rhyno 13 January 2014 10:42

Congo Mercenary by Mike Hoare.

GPC 13 January 2014 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0699 (Post 1058358624)
Congo Mercenary by Mike Hoare.

Good book all his other books are worth reading IMHO.

GPC 14 January 2014 21:39

Barrel of a Gun by Al J Venter.

Slim 17 January 2014 15:03

Dune by Frank Herbert

The story mostly does not follow the movie but it is cool to have some of the visualizations that the movie provided.

The fierce individualism and matter-of-fact survival rules and rituals forced on the Fremen by the environment might be interesting to this audience.

A timeless Sci-Fi classic so far.

Rockville 20 January 2014 17:10

this is a blame America book I will never read

Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam (American Empire Project) by Nick Turse (Dec 31, 2013)

http://www.amazon.com/Kill-Anything-...ds=vietnam+war

Mr.Smith 23 January 2014 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by UGA_11B (Post 1058357487)
I just finished "The Finishing School" by Dick Couch. It was a great read. It didn't tell much of a story about the men in training, but it was very informative IMO. It gave me a new found respect for SEALs, and their training. I would have never thought of some of the funny things you read about, and I thought BUDS was the majority of SEAL training. Needless to say, I've learned alot.

I would really recommend reading "The Warrior Elite" before this book and "Down Range" afterwards. They are all by the same author, and complement each other well.

I am about a quarter through this book and absolutely love it. I dont know why but I really enjoy reading about the SEAL teams.

GPC 24 January 2014 13:20

A State of Disobedience by Tom Kratman.

TX teacher 25 January 2014 10:09

Now that my masters is finished, I'm becoming a reading machine again. In the month since I finished, I have read Dick Winters' memoirs and I also finished Tom Clancy's book "Command Authority." I enjoyed that one overall and it moved at a pretty good pace without getting bogged down in too many details. However, there wasn't a ton of military action as their had been in past books. The CIA didn't play much of a role either and it was more of a financial investigation that tied into events in Russia and the Ukraine. It was interesting though considering the events going on their right now. Overall, I'd grade the book 3/5 and certainly not on par with earlier books.

And last night, I started to read Brian Kilmeade's book "George Washington's Secret Six." I'm only one chapter in and it was an easy read but there is something that drives me crazy.

When reading this book and Glen Beck's "Being George Washington" they mention they have researched their information for the book but the dialogue they have is fictional and based upon diary entries, letters, and etc. Kilmeade's book as a selected bibliography in the back, but Beck's does not. This makes it a little frustrating that throughout the book neither one has information footnoted specifically. Therefore as a historian it is kind of hard to say it is non-fiction. I don't think there is a need to include dialogue that didn't really happen.

However, as an "overall" type book, neither of these are bad. Beck though is kind of dry but Kilmeade apparently had a good editor and co-author to help him and it shows.

Longrifle 25 January 2014 14:41

White Devil

White Devil is the true story of Major Robert Rogers' raid on the Abenaki Indian village of St. Francis in retaliation for their role in the massacre of the British garrison following the surrender of Fort William Henry, which was depicted in the books and movies, "The Last of the Mohicans" and "Northwest Passage."

Very well researched and written, it is, as the by-line says, "A true story of war, savagery, and vengeance in colonial America," told with all the honesty such a period requires to be appreciated.

I have a new appreciation for Rogers and his ranging way of war. The story of his return route from that raid, and the nightmarish conditions he and his men endured, is one of the most remarkable stories I have ever read. It makes Ranger school seem like little more than a stroll in the woods...

Bearcat06 26 January 2014 08:11

Just started re-reading a book I read in college for Civil War and Reconstruction.

Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson.

Kindle price is 9.50.

It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1988.

HF0311 28 January 2014 11:39

Just started the Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, I read this back in the 5th or 6th grade, but I don't remember much from it, after learning that one of my favorite Steve Earle songs is based on this book I decided to read it again, so far im just past the introduction and am fairly impressed already, very well written.

Lou Steel 28 January 2014 18:26

"Killing Jesus". Just started. Interesting so far, I here it is an accurate depiction and historically researched.

Longrifle 29 January 2014 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Steel (Post 1058362878)
"Killing Jesus". Just started. Interesting so far, I here it is an accurate depiction and historically researched.

I read it and realized it was uncannily similar to "The Day Christ Died" by Jim Bishop, and then I realized O'Reilly's other best-seller, "Killing Kennedy," was also very similar to Bishop's "The Day Kennedy Was Shot."

I guess ol' Bill O is a fan and imitator of Jim Bishop . . .

GPC 30 January 2014 14:09

Going to start Line In The Valley by Chris Hernandez.

CAP MARINE 1 February 2014 20:54

Gunny's Rules

GPC 2 February 2014 09:25

Read Txchris's book in 6 hours really good read.

Starting Hunting in the Shadows by Peter Nealen .
I read his first book Task Force Desperate which I enjoyed.

DSSRonin 3 February 2014 08:02

How Asia Works by Joe Studwell

Studwell’s in-depth analysis focuses on three main areas: land policy, manufacturing, and finance. Land reform has been essential to the success of Asian economies, giving a kick start to development by utilizing a large workforce and providing capital for growth. With manufacturing, industrial development alone is not sufficient, Studwell argues. Instead, countries need “export discipline,” a government that forces companies to compete on the global scale. And in finance, effective regulation is essential for fostering, and sustaining growth.

Mr.Smith 3 February 2014 18:36

Done reading "The Warrior Elite" and it was an excellent read. Just picked up "The Finishing School" as well and hope to delve into that soon.

Armitage12 9 February 2014 13:17

Just started reading Jess Goodeel with John Hearn, ''Shade it Black: Death and After in Iraq," for a campus-wide book discussion. Lots of excellent material for civilians to consider with our faculty and students who are veterans.

TX teacher 9 February 2014 16:47

I'm on my fourth book in about a month and a half. Woohoo for free time now.

I've been wanting to read "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose for a very long time and got it as a gift a few years ago. So far, it is somewhat interesting, but unlike a lot of Ambrose's work, it is a little tedious and overly wordy. Very, very unlike most of Ambrose's work that I like. However, I've always heard its a good read, so I'll keep plugging onward.

HUVW 42 9 February 2014 17:01

Alex Haley's "Roots"

UncleTx 9 February 2014 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX teacher (Post 1058366415)

I've been wanting to read "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose for a very long time and got it as a gift a few years ago. So far, it is somewhat interesting, but unlike a lot of Ambrose's work, it is a little tedious and overly wordy. Very, very unlike most of Ambrose's work that I like. However, I've always heard its a good read, so I'll keep plugging onward.

One of my favorite books.

I am about to finish up Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden. It's been a good read.

My favorite read in the past few years was .Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History... http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Summer-Moon-Comanches-Powerful/dp/1416591060

Mars 9 February 2014 22:13

“Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass" by Frederick Douglass.

Fofo 9 February 2014 22:31

Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier - By Neil deGrasse Tyson

GPC 10 February 2014 10:56

Reading The Falconer and the Wolf by TR Neff aka Rough Raven.

Joe723 10 February 2014 22:39

I'm reading "Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics" by Daniel James Brown

I am enjoying it. The University of Washington Crew came from hard times during the great depression. They went on to beat the elite eastern schools and win the 1936 Olympics. That's not a spoiler its well known history.

Great story and I recommend it.

KidA 11 February 2014 13:37

Just finished "In the Heart of the Sea" about the whaleship Essex - the sinking of which, by a whale attack, which was unheard of, served as the basis for the White Whale in Moby Dick.

Excellent and very quick read. Gives a history of Nantucket and whaling and eating people.

http://www.amazon.com/In-Heart-Sea-T.../dp/0141001828

leopardprey 11 February 2014 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe723 (Post 1058366808)
I'm reading "Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics" by Daniel James Brown

I am enjoying it. The University of Washington Crew came from hard times during the great depression. They went on to beat the elite eastern schools and win the 1936 Olympics. That's not a spoiler its well known history.

Great story and I recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. Since I just bought a water rower, this will be the perfect read. Just ordered.

Jimmur275 12 February 2014 14:50

The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer. The Eiger is my wind mill to tilt at in 2016...