SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

KidA 12 February 2014 16:54

Just started "The Monster of Florence" the 2008 book, about a yet-to-be-found serial killer in Florence, Italy, who targeted couples who banged away in their cars (apparently in Florence most offspring live with parents until marriage and use their cars for sex - there is such a cottage industry in it that everyone knows the voyeurs, they stake out territories, and they will, for a price, lead other people who want to watch couples having sex to the best places for viewing.)

I got 112 pages into it last night and didn't start until I had got to bed. Couldn't put it down.

ShortTimer 12 February 2014 17:00

Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer... fictional account of a platoon of soldiers fighting in WW2. Great book.

RN47 12 February 2014 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by KidA (Post 1058367309)
Just started "The Monster of Florence" the 2008 book, about a yet-to-be-found serial killer in Florence, Italy, who targeted couples who banged away in their cars (apparently in Florence most offspring live with parents until marriage and use their cars for sex - there is such a cottage industry in it that everyone knows the voyeurs, they stake out territories, and they will, for a price, lead other people who want to watch couples having sex to the best places for viewing.)

I got 112 pages into it last night and didn't start until I had got to bed. Couldn't put it down.

Very good book- burned through it on a flight from ATL to Seoul. Remember reading Clooney was going to be in the movie adaptation. There was a decent Dateline series on it a few years ago, worth a look.

GracieLou 12 February 2014 21:16

I just finished, both "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova and "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

Bingo King 13 February 2014 15:59

"Skinner" by Charlie Huston...fascinating novel about tech, security for hire firms, climate change and a slightly autistic hitman.

Murph 14 February 2014 21:53

Amazon sent me 3 copies (as I apparently entered the wrong quantity--easy to do on AMZ.) Any rate, I'll mail 2 copies to the first two who PM me their addresses, gratis. I missed the 30-day return window. My premature review is below; I moved on to some other books but will get back to this one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murph (Post 1058355005)
One Hundred Victories: Special Ops and the Future of American Warfare; Linda Robinson

I'm pretty sure the title should have been "Special Forces..." not "Ops." I'm not very far into it but did some flipping around and looking for familiar names in the index. I'll be interested in getting the opinions of some of our SF guys. What seems to me to be the premise of the book is taking her in odd directions....

Chris-Harper 14 February 2014 22:52

The Last Outlaws by Thom Hatch. It's a new biography of Butch Cassidy and The Subdance Kid. Just picked up a copy today.

Alabama1979 14 February 2014 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 1058367390)
"The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

This book is in my "to read" stack. How did you like it? Is it worth moving to the top of the pile?

GracieLou 15 February 2014 10:22

Alabama1979,

I love the concept of a story within a story so I couldn't put it down once I started reading. It was predominately a mystery – a thriller full of twists - all the way to the climax of the book. Zafrón’s storytelling, loosely, reminded me of Umberto Eco’s technique in "The Name of the Rose." As for putting it on the top of the pile, well, that depends on what other books are in your pile :smile::biggrin:. It is worth reading sooner than later, in my opinion.

wowzers 15 February 2014 10:38

Dave Gingery's Complete Metal Working Shop from Scrap series. I'm planning on building a lathe this spring.

AustinPT 15 February 2014 19:42

Just finished listening to "The River of Doubt" by Candice Millard, about Teddy Roosevelt's near-fatal expedition down an unexplored section of the Amazon. I kept trying to picture any of our recent POTUS's facing such trials. Nobody comes close to comparison. Wish another Theodore Rex would appear.

Bearcat06 16 February 2014 05:56

Just found this on Kindle/Amazon.

Train: Riding the Rails That Created the Modern World-from the Trans-Siberian to the Southwest Chief by Tom Zoellner

GPC 16 February 2014 09:52

Direct Action by Jack Murphy.

GPC 16 February 2014 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinPT (Post 1058368098)
Just finished listening to "The River of Doubt" by Candice Millard, about Teddy Roosevelt's near-fatal expedition down an unexplored section of the Amazon. I kept trying to picture any of our recent POTUS's facing such trials. Nobody comes close to comparison. Wish another Theodore Rex would appear.

Read that a few years back great book.

GirlwithaGlock 16 February 2014 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldpogue (Post 1058360069)
"Travels with Charlie" by John Steinbeck

I am so grateful that you have recommended this book. I have read Steinbeck's novels before but this was new to me. His writing is so beautiful and brilliant, it is unbelievable.

Oldpogue 16 February 2014 17:19

Another travel book you might enjoy is A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle, a British author. It's an easy read and he has a great sense of humor.

Linda1961 17 February 2014 02:05

"Time of Attack" the latest in the Jericho Quinn series by Marc Cameron. Just finished Brad Taylor's latest Pike Logan thriller "The Polaris Protocol" though I wish he'd either kill off Jennifer or make her not be such a stupid character, however book was good as usual and it's one to make you go "Hmmmm" regarding our dependence of GPS.

Alabama1979 18 February 2014 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by GracieLou (Post 1058368007)
Alabama1979,

I love the concept of a story within a story so I couldn't put it down once I started reading. It was predominately a mystery – a thriller full of twists - all the way to the climax of the book. Zafrón’s storytelling, loosely, reminded me of Umberto Eco’s technique in "The Name of the Rose." As for putting it on the top of the pile, well, that depends on what other books are in your pile :smile::biggrin:. It is worth reading sooner than later, in my opinion.

Thanks! A friend of mine read the book and mentioned I'd like it, but didn't elaborate. A few weeks later I happened to come across the book in a used bookstore so I bought it. It's been in my "to-read" pile ever since. I'll probably move it up in the pile. Sadly, I don't have anything super exciting or interesting geared up in that stack to read.

Jimmur275 19 February 2014 01:10

Robert Service, some of the best poetry written. The Cremation of Sam McGee is real good...

Mr.Smith 19 February 2014 01:14

Someone posted in the free kindle book section "The eyes of the hammer." Just got done reading this book today and I must say I would recommend it, it was a bit slow at first and it bounces around, but it gives you the perspective from every end possible. Good read.

KidA 19 February 2014 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldpogue (Post 1058368277)
Another travel book you might enjoy is A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle, a British author. It's an easy read and he has a great sense of humor.

Concur. I read that years and years ago - late 1990s timeframe. Still remember it as a great read.

GirlwithaGlock 20 February 2014 12:54

As I am awaiting my next shipment of travel essays, I picked up Tipperary: a Novel of Ireland by Frank Delaney. Very mind soothing reading.

As an aside (and I am not proud of it:redface:), I was coerced to read Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love by my girlfriend who is going through a divorce. My advice to you, Gentlemen: should you ever see this book in your household, either confiscate and burn it immediately or run and hide!

leopardprey 20 February 2014 13:22

GWAG,

Getting the travel bug?

GirlwithaGlock 20 February 2014 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058369195)
GWAG,

Getting the travel bug?

Big time!

GPC 26 February 2014 10:49

Reading Brad Taylor's short stories.

Mr.Smith 3 March 2014 00:15

Just finished "The Finishing School" and I have to say you guys go through some shit man. It's amazing the amount of preperation you go through before you even deploy for action. Extra Kudos to you SEALs out there.

leopardprey 3 March 2014 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock (Post 1058369208)
Big time!

It think you would like this guide book/travel essay book:

http://www.amazon.com/To-Asia-With-Love-Connoisseurs/dp/0971594031/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393852822&sr=8-1&keywords=to+asia+with+love

GirlwithaGlock 3 March 2014 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058371667)
It think you would like this guide book/travel essay book:

http://www.amazon.com/To-Asia-With-Love-Connoisseurs/dp/0971594031/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393852822&sr=8-1&keywords=to+asia+with+love

Thank you! I will add it to my list.

I re-read Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being over the weekend. Ready to go back to my travel essays.

A191 4 March 2014 07:11

Just re-read "All Creatures Great and Small" by John Herriott. Forgot what an easy-going enjoyable read it was.

Joe723 4 March 2014 22:39

I am reading "A Rifleman Went to War"
Getting psyched up for the CMP M1 season and Camp Perry.

Armitage12 4 March 2014 23:17

Listened to Chris Kyle's American Sniper on a long drive through the snow storm this past weekend.

IAMGRAYGROUP 8 March 2014 20:02

Lions of Kandahar - excellent read. Was gifted to me and sat on my shelf for a bit ... Now I can't put it down

24NI 9 March 2014 00:30

Just finished "Duty" by Robert Gates, before that, "My Share of the Task" from General McChrystal. Both were insightful (and long) reads, definitely recommend. Next up is "Spec Ops" by Admiral McRaven. Really looking forward to his case studies.

Murph 10 March 2014 14:44

War Story, Jim Morris. Very good. Billy Waugh makes a cameo---at least I think it's a cameo, I'm only halfway through.

AustinPT 15 March 2014 06:59

Just finished listening to "Thunder Below", the story of the USS Barb (submarine). Amazing story, written by its commander (MOH winner) Gene Fluckey. See cross thread under History section.

Also finished "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris. Very comprehensive and well researched (~750 pgs not including bibliography); first book of a trilogy, so I have another 1200 pages or so to go. Amazing man.

On KidA's advice, also read Monster of Florenece. Holy crap! The Italians have a really effed up "justice" system. Totally believe Amanda Knox's innocence now.

osubuckeye762 15 March 2014 19:19

I am currently reading The Quiet Professional: Major Richard J Meadows of the U.S. Army Special Forces and FORSAKEN WARRIORS: The Story of an American Advisor who Fought with the South Vietnamese Rangers and Airborne by Robert Tonsetic (on Kindle).

bmbsqd 15 March 2014 20:33

Duct Tape Marketing by John Jantsch. Thanks Max V.!!

RN47 16 March 2014 22:18

I've had a copy of "Company Aytch: Or a Side Show of the Big Show" by Sam Watkins for years- just started reading this weekend. It comes highly recommended to me, so hoping it lives up to the hype.

Mr.Smith 17 March 2014 01:32

Just finished Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden. Incredible story.

82paratroop 21 March 2014 11:18

Part way through "The Mission. Then Men. And Me" by Peter Blader.