SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Professional Development and Education (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=276)
-   -   Quality Online MBA (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=132591)

Hot Mess 16 June 2018 11:48

Quality Online MBA
 
I searched and didnít find anything. Has anyone here completed an online MBA from a REPUTABLE school, not Devry or Phoenix...

Godzilla 16 June 2018 13:59

I haven't completed an online MBA but I'm in the process. My search was based on the field of study and recommendations I received from several respected professionals in the field. I took the three schools that received the most recommendations and asked around regarding credibility of the program, marketability of graduates and overall value of the course. Though several traditional schools were also recommended, I was intent to do an online program so I selected National University out of San Diego. They also have an office in Quantico, VA with whom I interact mostly- advisor, issues, payments, etc.

The profs check out as well, I've done some background checks and they appear credible w/in their field....so far.

It's been user friendly and I'm having fun with the courses of study. The schedule is somewhat intense, in fact taking a break right now from writing another paper.

10thvet 16 June 2018 15:29

I remember a thread somewhere on here that discussed this topic. I received my MBA from AMU. Don’t recommend them, the courses were difficult for me but the accreditation is not widely accepted... think JV league...ACBSP vs AACSP which is more widely accepted.

Gray Rhyno 16 June 2018 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Mess (Post 1058731002)
Has anyone here completed an online MBA from a REPUTABLE school, not Devry or Phoenix...

Probably a stupid question, but have you checked your closest public/state university? Lots of them have or are building online programs and online/distance MBAs are very popular, even for schools that aren't really "online".

HighDragLowSpeed 16 June 2018 15:57

Almost all of the big Ivy League schools and others like Stanford have online graduate programs now. Not cheap but would you expect an Ivy League school to be?

Dino0311 16 June 2018 17:30

I believe mdwest is getting one through Oxford?

wildman43 16 June 2018 18:28

Check out Hillsdale College 33 East College St Hillsdale, MI 49242 USA

Hillsdale College Online Courses onlinecourses@hillsdale.edu


I am taken some on line courses with them.

Jimbo 16 June 2018 19:55

Just do the Georgetown Global Executive MBA. It will work with your schedule and is a more interesting program than a straight MBA.

pyrrhic0369 17 June 2018 08:57

Hot Mess, are you using Post 9/11 or Vocational Rehab? I am in the same boat on the MBA. I still have eight months of Post 9/11 so I'm looking for something cost effective and reputable.

Hot Mess 17 June 2018 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 1058731052)
Just do the Georgetown Global Executive MBA. It will work with your schedule and is a more interesting program than a straight MBA.

I knew youíd have a good answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrrhic0369 (Post 1058731100)
Hot Mess, are you using Post 9/11 or Vocational Rehab? I am in the same boat on the MBA. I still have eight months of Post 9/11 so I'm looking for something cost effective and reputable.

I have about 6-9 mos Ch. 32 and then Post 9/11 and Voc rehab

MixedLoad 17 June 2018 18:56

I would second Jimbo's answer. That's one of the top 20 I told you about.

ramzmedic 17 June 2018 19:13

My next door neighbor just completed her online MBA through University of Louisville. She said it was tougher online than anything she did in classrooms. It gets good ratings and they have many different focuses of study. Good luck Hot Mess.

http://business.louisville.edu/uoflmba/

Colonel Flagg 17 June 2018 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrrhic0369 (Post 1058731100)
Hot Mess, are you using Post 9/11 or Vocational Rehab? I am in the same boat on the MBA. I still have eight months of Post 9/11 so I'm looking for something cost effective and reputable.

Check out Stanford GSB IGNITE Program:

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/stanford-ignite/campus/post-9-11-veterans

Best deal EVER in terms of Veteran education. ONLY $2000

Check out this previous thread:

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=129043

SOCNET member "Balls" completed IGNITE in 2016(Great fella, met him for some beers on campus).

-----

Also, check out MITx, found at www.edx.org

LOTS of FREE stuff, and cheap stuff....but all quite reputable from a top tier school.

For those considering spending BIG, whether it's with G I Bill or cash/debt, be careful.

The world of higher education is changing very quickly and dramatically.

The world seems to be shifting towards the concept of "Just in Time" education.

A great example of it is MITx MicroMaster:

www.micromasters.mit.edu

They include certificates as well as the ability to advance and convert them into conventional Masters degrees with a single semester on campus(es).

For more IT based interest/fields of study there are also "nano degrees" from Udacity.

Large corporates sponsor inexpensive courses in AI, autonomous vehicles, data science, programming, digital marketing, etc. and pluck the top students.

We're talking Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Mercedes Benz.

-----

MBA's are becoming commoditised.

The REAL value of an MBA, especially from a school like Stanford, is not just the education(which I'd rate as better, but not immensely better than elsewhere), it's in the NETWORK you develop.

If you want skillset/knowledge, online MBA can be suitable.

But if you want to build a network, you can't do that easily with an online MBA program.

Silverbullet 17 June 2018 20:50

If someone else is paying for it, disregard my input.

Depends what you want to do with it. Unless you're going to get into an industry that requires a Georgetown, Stanford, add whatever high priced big name school you favor, I suggest you get the least expensive AASCP rated MBA.

There's plenty of clowns walking around with high priced big name MBA's who can't do business, put deals together or grow revenue, working in every type of industry.

Hot Mess 18 June 2018 02:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverbullet (Post 1058731220)
If someone else is paying for it, disregard my input.

Depends what you want to do with it. Unless you're going to get into an industry that requires a Georgetown, Stanford, add whatever high priced big name school you favor, I suggest you get the least expensive AASCP rated MBA.

There's plenty of clowns walking around with high priced big name MBA's who can't do business, put deals together or grow revenue, working in every type of industry.

LOL, that’s what I’m counting on. If those no talent ass clowns can make a solid living I shouldn’t have a problem.

The knowledge is about 50% what I’m seeking, the other 50% is the networking.

pm410 18 June 2018 03:56

Honesty? Unless you need an MBA for a “check the box” reason, I would avoid it. Unless you attend a top 20 program, it’s not gonna help all to much for getting in with good firms. 90% of an MBA program is about the connections you make, it’s basically an old boys club.

The online programs are great though if you need it for government work or promotional opportunities. As far as reputable online programs, plenty of state universities offer online MBAs.

Hot Mess 18 June 2018 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pm410 (Post 1058731244)
Honesty? Unless you need an MBA for a “check the box” reason, I would avoid it. Unless you attend a top 20 program, it’s not gonna help all to much for getting in with good firms. 90% of an MBA program is about the connections you make, it’s basically an old boys club.

The online programs are great though if you need it for government work or promotional opportunities. As far as reputable online programs, plenty of state universities offer online MBAs.

Do you have a MBA?

Hoepoe 18 June 2018 11:25

I studies an MSc at Leicester University (distance) and would not hesitate to take their MBA program

https://le.ac.uk/courses/the-leicester-mba-dl

It's both AMBA and AASCP rated.

Good luck!

H

Silverbullet 18 June 2018 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Mess (Post 1058731238)
LOL, thatís what Iím counting on. If those no talent ass clowns can make a solid living I shouldnít have a problem.

The knowledge is about 50% what Iím seeking, the other 50% is the networking.

Then you need a resident program, not a distance learning one.

Gray Rhyno 18 June 2018 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverbullet (Post 1058731312)
Then you need a resident program, not a distance learning one.

A lot of local state universities also have evening and short-session resident MBA programs. I believe you'd have much better networking opportunities for businesses in your local area by attending a locally-known school vice attending an online program at a larger, nationally-known school.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved