SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   H2H Combat (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor (proposed) (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=128960)

Spinner 13 January 2017 16:33

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor (proposed)

In a boxing ring, using boxing rules according to what I've heard.

This is nothing more than a publicity stunt, but I bet people would still pay to see it.

Sharky 13 January 2017 16:44

Yeah I would say Mayweather inside 60 seconds if it's strictly boxing rules.

Hostile0311 13 January 2017 18:10

I grudgingly like Connor. Toe to toe with Mayweather...Connor would be laughing his ass off from his back/or crying after Floyd hit him a few times.

MacDuff 13 January 2017 18:41

This is dumb and it's only going to fuel mouthbreathers who argue that Mayweather is a better fighter than Connor.

The only way that Connor wins this is through his bank account. His boxing is good but Mayweather will eat him alive.

Spinner 13 January 2017 19:51

I think if Mayweather is serious about it, they should schedule two fights, about 6 months apart.

First one can be the boxing match, under the standard rules. But then has to step into the octagon with McGregor. If he fails to do so, he will forfeit his share of the purse(s).

That might be an interesting bout to watch.

Shadow 13 January 2017 20:32

Earlier today, Dana White offered Mayweather 25 million plus a PPV split to fight McGregor; Floyd responded by calling him a "fucking comedian". :cool: :biggrin:

Ex-PH 13 January 2017 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinner (Post 1058624411)
I think if Mayweather is serious about it, they should schedule two fights, about 6 months apart.

First one can be the boxing match, under the standard rules. But then has to step into the octagon with McGregor. If he fails to do so, he will forfeit his share of the purse(s).

I'd rather just see them box. Conor at least stands a chance in the ring, but he'd eat Mayweather alive in the cage. To get an idea of what an MMA fight between these two would look like, go to UFC Fight Pass (it's free this weekend) and look up Randy Couture vs. James Toney (spoiler alert: it ended with Randy strangling Toney within the first minute).

Ole crusty bastard 13 January 2017 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinner (Post 1058624411)

I was in Okinawa when Ali fought Antonio Anoki. The big Japanese went to his back after about a minutes worth of Ali's punches. He stayed on his back for 15 rounds. Ended as a draw.

I don't know if it made money in the States but, Japan was buzzing.

The MMA we see on TV is turning into WWE, those tickets wont be cheap. Odd shit sells.

Gsniper 13 January 2017 21:24

I'd like to see them both get a mouthful of glove, at least it would shut them up for a minute.

Local 13 January 2017 23:05

This is a publicity stunt.

Everyone (literally) knows that Floyd would eat Connor alive if it's just boxing, and Connor would take Floyd's lunch money if it was MMA rules - assuming he didn't try to trade punches with him to prove a point.

The entire stance (that Floyd is a master of) in boxing, the bladed profile, is excellent for protection while trading punches but is almost the worst possible stance to defend against a leg kick. The turned front hip makes it almost impossible to turn the front shin 180 degrees and raise it to block a leg /thigh kick.

Floyd's entire life has been about being able to spectacularly judge the distance a fist travels - but just outside the punch range is the perfect distance to land a kick. He would eat a few kicks to the legs, maybe a few to the ribs under his punches and he would have no legs and no breath left.

I'm sure someone who specializes in boxing would be able to describe the detriments of an MMA trained stance in a boxing fight, but either way it's academic.

The owners of the UFC aren't about to let their biggest contract star get creamed in a boxing rules fight (no matter what the purse / take is) and no way Floyd comes out of retirement to lose his first fight under rules he has never fought under before.

This is two school yard kids trading insults from across the field.

Just won't happen.

- Local

Massgrunt 13 January 2017 23:20

I have zero interest in a boxing match.

Spinner 14 January 2017 15:47

Boxing has really fallen off the map.

Used to be something to really look forward to, especially those bouts in the 80s in the welterweight class, and certainly the heavyweight division in the 60s and 70s. MMA is where it's at now, the demographics totally tilt in its favor. The youngest of those who grew up watching boxing at its peak are about my age now, in their 50s. And even I'm more into the MMA bouts than boxing these days.

I'd be more interested if Mayweather and McGregor fought an MMA bout, hardly any if they boxed.

mdavid 16 January 2017 09:31

I love the art of boxing, however this is just a play for easy money.
Floyd is looking for an easy 100m payday he'd barely have to train for and Connor would be happy to make 20m to lose.

No way the ufc allows this without their usual cut...so Floyd 100m, Connor 20m and UFC 80m is the only way it'll happen imo.
They need fighters to keep accepting their ridiculously low pay and keep making owners filthy rich.

HighDragLowSpeed 17 January 2017 06:34

Bob Arum says it's all BS

http://www.tmz.com/2017/01/17/bob-ar...or-dana-white/

havok88 17 January 2017 12:37

If Mcgregor was that good of a boxer, he would be a professional boxer, making fuck loads more money than he ever will in the UFC. He will get destroyed. But to be fair, if they were in the octagon, my bet is he would get an easy win.

Guy 17 January 2017 13:11

Pay close attention folks...

MAYWEATHER TO DANA WHITE: YOU USED TO CARRY MY BAGS!

Link...

Cruiserweight 18 January 2017 01:58

My old boxing coach put it this way, and I have to somewhat agree: boxing is where the big money is at. If UFC fighters had any real talent, they'd be boxers.
While alot of UFC fighters have some talent, all too many have absolute slop boxing ability. Or really any kind of stand up fighting ability. It's painful to watch. Can't throw a straight punch, no rhythm. Dudes would get eaten alive by any local amateur boxer. Why is this? Maybe they focus too much on Ju jitsu instead of their stand up game, maybe they have a coach who really doesn't know that much about boxing. There are likely a number of reasons. It's just embarrassing to watch sometimes.

Massgrunt 18 January 2017 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruiserweight (Post 1058625088)
Dudes would get eaten alive by any local amateur boxer.

Under the limited, boring rules of boxing? Sure. In a fight where they can utilize their full skill set? I don't think any reason person believes that. Boxers are one dimensional and boring and certainly not better rounded fighters.

Spinner 18 January 2017 20:48

Mass, what was your opinion of those welterweights that fought back in the 80s, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler and Duran?

Most of the fights that took place between them, though not all, weren't what I would call boring. I understand what you're saying, but boxing, within its defined rules and the manner in which the two fighters go at it, can definitely be pretty good.

Gsniper 18 January 2017 20:58

Either fighter would pummel the other in their discipline.

Jerry Miculek would smoke me in a pistol match. I'd smoke him in a 1000yd match, even though they are both shooting sports.