SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   Tragedy on the AT (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=134549)

Tackleberry 13 May 2019 12:33

Tragedy on the AT

I plan on thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail with my son when he graduates from high school. What are your thoughts on being armed, and what would be the weapon of choice?

https://nypost.com/2019/05/13/james-...lachian-trail/

leopardprey 13 May 2019 13:03

Glock 19X

Five-O 13 May 2019 13:06

^^Yup. 9mm.... something small/concealable/light/reliable^^ I'd even mention S&W air weight .38 or .357.

Gsniper 13 May 2019 13:09

This happened about 50 miles from my house. I used to section hike the AT as a teenager. I wouldn't do it today unarmed. Glock 43.

Armitage12 13 May 2019 13:24

We've had this discussion in my hiking circles. We opt for pistol + pepper spray. The pepper spray option has permitted some hikers to drive off the stupid dog and not expend ammunition against stupid dog that would also then be followed by angry dog owner who would also now be coming out with pistol or rifle.

As with everything, weight and skill are essential components of this equation.

FinsUp 13 May 2019 13:58

Glock 19 carried in this;

https://2aholster.com/product/litepath-chest-holster/

KW Driver 13 May 2019 14:10

The problem with the AT and PCT, is there are plenty of states that itís simply not legal to carry, or prohibitive to get licensed. and not worth getting caught if you donít, for me.

Thousands hike the trails with no issues each year. The threat of violence or violent death, especially for dudes, seems very low to me. Yep, it does happen, but not often.

Little Fix 13 May 2019 14:45

I carry a small knife just for people, along with trekking poles and some smarts. I've used this combination when section hiking on the AT and PCT within the last year.

I would have no problem carrying a gun, but the legalities make it a huge pain in the ass. Guns really aren't practical for anyone thru-hiking unless you don't mind breaking laws. The odds of getting caught are higher than average just because there are so many people around and it's hard to conceal 24/7 in that situation. It could be done, but you'll have to work hard at it. I would be more worried about an accidental slip around the wrong person and them turning you in because they are young and dumb — plenty of anti-gun folks in the thru-hiking crowd.

Gsniper 13 May 2019 14:51

Just another reason for me to not get north of the Virginia line for any reason. I promise you nobody gives a shit from there south.

Dino0311 13 May 2019 15:00

You'd have to be crazy not to carry on the trail. Threatening someone with a knife in my presence would go real bad real quick.

usmc_3m 13 May 2019 16:14

2 Attachment(s)
Well, considering the PCT goes through three of the most restrictive gun rights states in the country - you really are taking a risk to carry. That said - I have carried my G23 (.40 cal) twice on the PCT. The second time I actually came across a Ranger who did not notice I was carrying - fortunately. That really made me re-think carrying on the trail. However, on all four of my hikes on the PCT, I have carried this kukri. To the untrained it looks like a machete/bush-knife. The Ranger didn't say anything about it. I honestly don't know the legality of carrying a blade like this, but I am not going completely unarmed. Btw - I couldn't believe the kit that Ranger had - looked like an "operator" :)

BOFH 13 May 2019 17:56

I'm heading out to hike the GA section soon. I'll be carrying my Cold Steel Norse Hawk (cheap but sturdy, and functions just fine for a bush tool) and Mora knife. Not going to carry a gun on the trail, but I'm not going out completely unarmed, either.

GPC 13 May 2019 18:10

Hill People Gear makes a great chest bag for discreet carry.

Dino0311 13 May 2019 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPC (Post 1058794697)
Hill People Gear makes a great chest bag for discreet carry.

Do they? ;)

Stretch 13 May 2019 18:46

I have one of these, that I cleaned up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LC-14-B-Woo...EAAOSwNc1c1ztM

Whether or not you carry is your call.

As mentioned, there camp tools that will not draw the eye of the SmartPhone armed...

“OMG there is a guy on the trail with a gun.”

Good luck and safe travels.

hawkdrver 13 May 2019 19:08

As much as I hate to publicly agree with Mass: :biggrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massgrunt (Post 1058794669)
You'd have to be crazy not to carry on the trail.

Just my AK opinion.

leopardprey 13 May 2019 19:24

Legal question:

If you are driving through a a restricted state, coming from a legal state and going to a legal state it has been determined you are not illegal in the restricted state.

Could the same be said for walking? Since you are just passing through the state on the way to another ultimate destination.

Nothing pisses me off more, weíll just about nothing, that most of us on this site carried a firearm into harmís way overseas on behalf of our nation. But we are not allowed to carry a firearm in parts of our own nation, for our own (or our loved ones) protection.

And if the gun is carried right, like in a Hill Person Rig, or in a mystery mountain wet rib, who will know? Cops cannot stop and just randomly search you can they?

leopardprey 13 May 2019 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmc_3m (Post 1058794682)
Well, considering the PCT goes through three of the most restrictive gun rights states in the country - you really are taking a risk to carry. That said - I have carried my G23 (.40 cal) twice on the PCT. The second time I actually came across a Ranger who did not notice I was carrying - fortunately. That really made me re-think carrying on the trail. However, on all four of my hikes on the PCT, I have carried this kukri. To the untrained it looks like a machete/bush-knife. The Ranger didn't say anything about it. I honestly don't know the legality of carrying a blade like this, but I am not going completely unarmed. Btw - I couldn't believe the kit that Ranger had - looked like an "operator" :)

Have the same Kukri, and it is a real workhorse for sure. Have carried and used Kukris all over the world and never felt underarmed - not to mention how practical they are for field work/patrolling/bushcraft.

gavin 13 May 2019 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058794707)
Legal question:

If you are driving through a a restricted state, coming from a legal state and going to a legal state it has been determined you are not illegal in the restricted state.

Could the same be said for walking? Since you are just passing through the state on the way to another ultimate destination.

Nothing pisses me off more, we’ll just about nothing, that most of us on this site carried a firearm into harm’s way overseas on behalf of our nation. But we are not allowed to carry a firearm in parts of our own nation, for our own (or our loved ones) protection.

And if the gun is carried right, like in a Hill Person Rig, or in a mystery mountain wet rib, who will know? Cops cannot stop and just randomly search you can they?

Quick answer is that the legal precedents regarding carry in vehicles do not apply to carrying while walking (unless you walk really, really fast and cover six counties a day). In addition, there are jurisdictions that don't care, and will arrest folks regardless. The USSC has ruled that the legal precedents for carrying while traveling are an affirmative defense against prosecution, but do not provide for civil relief (they were dead wrong in that opinion, but, they are the USSC, so, they win).

There are different rules on federal land, even in restrictive states.

Bottom line, you gotta decide what's important to you.

hawkdrver 13 May 2019 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058794710)
Have the same Kukri, and it is a real workhorse for sure. Have carried and used Kukris all over the world and never felt underarmed - not to mention how practical they are for field work/patrolling/bushcraft.

Kukris are bad ass, except for Sharky's fake one, but I'm too old too be getting in knife fights with 30 year olds with machetes. Pretty sure I was never young enough for that matter.

Not that I would advocate breaking any laws, but I just haven't found it all that difficult to keep a compact .45 concealed 100% of the time in my outdoor gear.