SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Movies and TV (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=291)
-   -   NetFlix- Lost In Space (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=132163)

MilkBoneSkivies 14 April 2018 11:54

NetFlix- Lost In Space

NetFlix has done a reboot of Lost In Space. I've watched the first three episodes, not to shabby. It's doing the whole "present time / flash to the past" story line feed. Not terribly often, just enough so you can get some background. I dig it, although I'm a complete sci-fi nerd. Dr. Smith looks to be curious and interesting, the robot is plot twisty & cool.

Mingo Kane 14 April 2018 12:19

I have it on the list, and based on what I've seen from the trailer--you nailed it. I'll take a peek next shitty weather day.

Spinner 14 April 2018 14:26

Danger, Will Robinson!

lol

NinjaSchooldropout 14 April 2018 23:46

It's ok. But what about Judy Robinson? Was she adopted?

MilkBoneSkivies 15 April 2018 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaSchooldropout (Post 1058718100)
It's ok. But what about Judy Robinson? Was she adopted?

See episode 5 ;)

Mingo Kane 15 April 2018 13:40

Netflix's Altered Carbon looks good as well, perhaps darker and more adult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFM8akm9a4

MilkBoneSkivies 15 April 2018 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mingo Kane (Post 1058718152)
Netflix's Altered Carbon looks good as well, perhaps darker and more adult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFM8akm9a4

I binge watched that as well. VERY VERY good. That's TRUE sci-fi. If you like old school sci-fi (Asimov, Hienlein etc.) you'll like Altered Carbon.

Mingo Kane 15 April 2018 16:09

Okidoki...that's the one (soon as the NASCAR race is over (don't wanna miss any wrecks). :smile:

Polypro 16 April 2018 08:16

Watched Ep 1 + 2 last night, love it. Judy was Hot AF in the original TV series... I want that 'Chariot' !!

AKAPete 16 April 2018 08:31

Got through episode 3 last night - "Dr Smith" continues to be Dr Smith.

Man - there are a lot of spaceships pilling up in the same area of the same planet.

DirtyDog0311 16 April 2018 10:10

Lost in Space: with 3 totally super strong independent womyn/shrews that don't need no man. And one semi-retarded child that reminds me of butters from South Park.

Way to go Netflix. Just couldn't stop yourself from stinging that frog as it carried you again, could you? :rolleyes:

Once you get past the usual Netflix garbage, it's not that bad.

Doc P 16 April 2018 10:53

I see it's rated "PG". Is that legit or could this series be ok for younger audience (11, 7, 5)?

PocketKings 16 April 2018 15:55

It's appropriate for youngsters - it's got some situational scariness to it, but I think kids can handle it. No worse than Harry Potter and my 8 year old loves those movies.

That's one of the things I like about the new series - kids can watch. Altered Carbon was really good, but certainly not kid appropriate. Sci-fi geeks complain a lot (Star Wars, Star Trek) but sometimes they forget that a lot of these shows are designed for a younger viewing audience.

MilkBoneSkivies 16 April 2018 16:00

I've been a Sci-Fi nerd since I was about 12, I will watch just about anything Science Fiction. It's all entertaining in my book, plus being OCONUS for the past almost 10 years I'm a Netflix/StreamLord/etc. junkie ;)

Doc P 16 April 2018 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketKings (Post 1058718408)
It's appropriate for youngsters - it's got some situational scariness to it, but I think kids can handle it. No worse than Harry Potter and my 8 year old loves those movies..

Thank you

Mingo Kane 16 April 2018 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkBoneSkivies (Post 1058718164)
I binge watched that as well. VERY VERY good. That's TRUE sci-fi. If you like old school sci-fi (Asimov, Hienlein etc.) you'll like Altered Carbon.

I liked the 1st episode, and I'm a total fucktard with technology. We need to start a Netflix Original thread. I hate going through that endless menu of shit to find a movie. I'll look for an hour, then say fuck it and go right back to Fox News. :smile:

Azatty 16 April 2018 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 (Post 1058718334)
Lost in Space: with 3 totally super strong independent womyn/shrews that don't need no man.

Just take a wild guess what the John Robinson character was before he became a colonist. One guess.

AKAPete 17 April 2018 07:23

"Dr Smith" is one slimy individual.

She is totally incapable of doing the right thing - even if her life depended on it - which it does.

The whole light deal was bizarre.

Polypro 17 April 2018 07:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 (Post 1058718334)
Lost in Space: with 3 totally super strong independent womyn/shrews that don't need no man. And one semi-retarded child that reminds me of butters from South Park.

Way to go Netflix. Just couldn't stop yourself from stinging that frog as it carried you again, could you? :rolleyes:

Once you get past the usual Netflix garbage, it's not that bad.

IIRC, Maureen and Judy weren't barefoot in the J2 kitchen even on the 60's series. In the 90's movie re-boot, the three chicks weren't taking any crap either. I don't see this one as much different - even when I spot stuff, it ain't worth the Cortisol spike :biggrin:

DirtyDog0311 17 April 2018 09:32

Eh, everyone assumes I get a case of heartburn over that stuff. When in reality it's an annoyance because it breaks my immersion in the show/story. Its really rare to see a good show I can get into nowadays because of it. But if some people can't see it, hey --- cool for them. Rock on. As the saying goes "It's much easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled."

But seriously, wtf was the point of the men in this show? They were pretty much utterly useless caveman archetypes. :biggrin: