SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   XM1772E (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=129911)

leopardprey 15 May 2017 16:35

XM1772E

1 Attachment(s)
https://myservicerifle.com/troy-xm177e2/

Interesting. Any experience with this manufacturer?

TROY XM177E2 Commemorative

The XM177E2, in partnership with SOA & SFA, is the second in the TROY My Service Rifle series following the GAU-5/A/A. The XM177E2 is a U.S. Special Operations icon specifically built for the covert combat needs of MACV-SOG in Vietnam. The TROY XM177E2 Commando is of heirloom quality and aesthetically precise.

Immortalizing duty, sacrifice and honor, proceeds from each XM177E2 will support the charitable efforts of The Special Forces Association and the Special Operations Association as they,
“commemorate fittingly the memory of those who have given their lives in defense of the Free World.”

Massgrunt 15 May 2017 16:38

I use a few of their products and love them. Free float handguards and buis.

jdogonroad 15 May 2017 17:11

That's purty!

B 2/75 15 May 2017 18:00

Wonder if they're authentic to the point of actually having the aluminum buttstock assembly the original had...?

AZ5326 15 May 2017 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 2/75 (Post 1058649310)
Wonder if they're authentic to the point of actually having the aluminum buttstock assembly the original had...?

Believe they do, but don't hold me to it.

jportal50 15 May 2017 20:06

That thing looks awesome.

"Commemorative" sounds very expensive given the rifle. CAR-15 -esque/type?

I applaud them for their donations for sure to our forces past and current..I will proudly donate again on the side.

Steve40th 15 May 2017 20:18

I had an article on it and it is as close as they could get it legally. No Full auto was the only thing they could not do.. Thats as much as my memory can remember

leopardprey 15 May 2017 21:08

They even put Auto on the selector, but of course you cannot click to that position.

For $50 you can get the SF patch, SF Logo, or SOG logo and up to four lines of print engraved.

The Fat Guy 15 May 2017 21:19

We (I ) carried one of these in 2/75. Mine was old and shot out.

B 2/75 15 May 2017 21:59

No brass deflector, teardrop forward assist, the bakelite type pistol grip, no bayonet lug, seems GTG.

CB 16 May 2017 01:01

They claim it is 100% authentic mil-spec, down to the "AUTO" that really isn't an "AUTO" (for lack of an auto sear, at least).

But, is it really "military specifications" in that it will accept a hammer with an auto sear notch? NO.

Is the receiver milled out so that, later in the Trump administration, when full auto becomes an option again
(with the tax stamp, blah blah blah) it really would be a matter of drilling the auto sear hole and inserting the auto sear? NO.

So it's a fancier form of an airsoft rifle, over-priced, and pretending to be what it is not.

And by the way, rub that bakelite grip with some LSA and blacken it up.

Tango Chaser 16 May 2017 09:13

Quote:

Posted by CB;
They claim it is 100% authentic mil-spec, down to the "AUTO" that really isn't an "AUTO" (for lack of an auto sear, at least). Where do they make that claim?

But, is it really "military specifications" in that it will accept a hammer with an auto sear notch? NO. All AR15s will accept a full auto hammer with the sear notch. Mine has an M16 hammer.

Is the receiver milled out so that, later in the Trump administration, when full auto becomes an option again
(with the tax stamp, blah blah blah) it really would be a matter of drilling the auto sear hole and inserting the auto sear? NO. Troy left a portion of the lower receiver unmachined where the sear would go, to be in compliance with the ATF ruling that marking a lower with an engraved circle replicating a sear pin is now a machine gun. This allows Troy to engrave a fake sear pin above the selector.

So it's a fancier form of an airsoft rifle, over-priced, and pretending to be what it is not. That's some serious hate there. They are just trying to capitalize on the AR15 retro craze by offering a complete gun so buyers don't have to piece meal a retro clone.

And by the way, rub that bakelite grip with some LSA and blacken it up. Why?
Why the hate? Obviously they can't make a new full auto machine gun for sale to the masses.

GPC 16 May 2017 09:33

Pretty cool waiting for LP's range report.;)

Rotor Strike please 16 May 2017 13:19

In 2001, I carried in Afghanistan a rebuilt GAU-5A that was remarked as a GUU-5/P after the conversion. You could still see the GAU-5A marking XXX'd out on the receiver. Was pretty cool to have carried, at least in part, one of the original Vietnam weapons into combat.

I checked out the Troy GAU-5A/A commemorative build, and found it very accurate in the depiction of my duty rifle. The Troy products I've played with were excellent.

A Little History of the GUU-5/P

The United States Air Force has made ad hoc upgrades to its GAU-5/As and GAU-5A/As. The barrels and moderators were replaced with the longer 14.5-inch (370 mm) barrel with a 1-in-12 twist, but the weapons retained their original designations. With the change to M855 cartridges, they either received 1-in-7 twist barrel or complete upper receiver assembly replacements. The GAU-5/A or GAU-5A/A markings were removed and the weapons redesignated GUU-5/P. They also retain automatic fire instead of burst.

The new designation more accurately reflected the weapon's place in the U.S. Air Force Aerospace Equipment Type Designation System (AETDS). The weapons had initially been designated in the same format as aircraft guns, being placed in the GA category (GA designating an aircraft gun, with U meaning unit, representing a complete system and not part of a kit), followed by the /A suffix meaning the system was for aircraft. GUU is the "guns, miscellaneous personal equipment" category, and the /P suffix indicating personal equipment.

jportal50 16 May 2017 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jportal50 (Post 1058649344)
That thing looks awesome.

"Commemorative" sounds very expensive given the rifle. CAR-15 -esque/type?

I applaud them for their donations for sure to our forces past and current..I will proudly donate again on the side.

I should have clarified that I am actually interested in how it handles. I too carried one (Car 15) when I was a RTO (guess to reduce the weight from the radio punishment). Regardless, it fired fine. I also look forward to the Range report.

CB 16 May 2017 19:47

Mea Culpa.
Grumpy old man post.
I guess my ire is truly directed at the
BATFE (pronounced "batfey") and their
arbitrary and anti 2nd amendment policies.

Gunk 16 May 2017 20:03

Cool rifle. I had a clone like this one in the late 70's and early 80's. Flash suppressor was pinned to the barrel. Great handling little rifle. I seem to remember quite a flash signature coming out when fired.

Massgrunt 16 May 2017 20:04

They look old school cool and I want one.

AZ5326 16 May 2017 21:00

Although I'd LOVE to have this little carbine, already have a retro CAR style rifle, and just can't afford the coin.

Joe30045 17 May 2017 08:30

Carried an XM177E2 marked rifle in Peru in the early 90's. Built my own (minus the full auto) when I got back. I don't do the retro thing, so I would update any new build with what I consider modernization upgrades.