SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Red Dots on Handguns (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=126583)

GPC 8 March 2016 12:18

Red Dots on Handguns
 
I am curious as to the durability of RMR type sights for everyday carry? How do they hold up if dropped, banged off of desk or doors etc?Also high round counts loss of zero etc.How does the glass hold up to scratching?

I have seen plenty on how great they are but really no "Torture" test or someone writing how their Red Dot held up to EDC for a period of time.

Thank you in advance.

Tripod 8 March 2016 13:34

Waste of money, and just added weight to affect balance IMO. If you can't hit center mass consistently from 25m in you should work on your marksmanship, maybe get some custom sights, versus buying any type of handgun optic.

Or maybe forgo a pistol all together and buy an 870 with .00 Buck ;)

Gsniper 8 March 2016 13:39

I've shot several and don't see the utility of them. Maybe if you're shooting USPSA and need hundredths of seconds or something I'd see it, but for a "work" or defense gun, no thanks. To me the reliability questions outweigh the benefits.

GackMan 8 March 2016 14:13

I think they are "getting there" - I remember when people would not advocate red dot sights on rifles. "Iron sights don't run out of batteries" "How do you know it can hold a zero?" "What if it gets wet?" etc. But look at where we are now?

I will say, if a rifle is your primary weapon system, there is limited utility in an RDS on your secondary weapon system.

However, if your pistol is your primary and evidence supports that you get more accurate hits, significantly faster, and at longer ranges I think a decent argument can be made to start moving in that direction. Some people are already doing it. I think their performance in the field will bear a lot of this out. But if it is any indication, Glock is making factory slides pre-milled and tapped for RDS mounts.

The big IF is if the technology supports it. How long do batteries last? can I drop the weapon, pick it up and have it still work? can I have secondary sighting system for backup? does the RDS make it unwieldy or un concealable? If I'm in a uniformed holster in the rain 10 hours a day for 5 days straight, how's the sight work now?

Did you see this thread? http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=123570

SOTB 8 March 2016 14:24

How are the answers above related in the slightest to the OP's post?

GackMan 8 March 2016 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOTB (Post 1058547827)
How are the answers above related in the slightest to the OP's post?

Just generating discussion - it was on topic. I have a lot of the same questions.

I think an RDS is an interesting concept but I am at the same point of not trusting one yet due to the lack of information and / or time in the field to measure long term durability and viability.

EchoFiveMike 8 March 2016 16:14

I like optical sights, the issues I have on a handgun is ergonomics, durability and battery life. How do they carry in a holster? What's the damage potential? How does battery life work out? My carry guns are low time investment things, like a pocket knife. I'm not doing pre-mission prep every time I walk out the door, I PM my CCW guns once a week and I bet that's a shit ton more than most ppl who carry.

That G-lock 10mm of TFG has me interested, the cost of the optic seems like a stiff hit, but then I think of the custom 1911's I have and realize I'm being irrational. S/F.....Ken M

leopardprey 8 March 2016 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPC (Post 1058547779)
I am curious as to the durability of RMR type sights for everyday carry? How do they hold up if dropped, banged off of desk or doors etc?Also high round counts loss of zero etc.How does the glass hold up to scratching?

I have seen plenty on how great they are but really no "Torture" test or someone writing how their Red Dot held up to EDC for a period of time.

Thank you in advance.

As well like to see the long term affects. I know the Trijicon reflex sight I had mounted on my M-4 and SAW in Iraq took a lot of abuse and still stayed zeroed. But, having one on a handgun is a bit of a different ball game.

Does anyone know if any LE Departments are using the set up? That would be a good way to evaluate longevity.


Out of my budget, but would love to get a hold of one of these and put it through the paces for 6 months and see how it does.

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pisto...government-rmr

Chimo 8 March 2016 17:20

You read my mind. I have a Burris Fastfire 3 laying around that I was considering mounting on my Glock. Not sure if I could use it for EDC carry. But might be fun for the range.

GPC 8 March 2016 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058547868)
Does anyone know if any LE Departments are using the set up? That would be a good way to evaluate longevity.


Duck Marshal was using his in the field?I believe his Agency doesn't allow them anymore?

leopardprey 8 March 2016 17:40

I think in the future, you are going to see these becoming more and more popular with the over 40 crowd.

MixedLoad 8 March 2016 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058547896)
I think in the future, you are going to see these becoming more and more popular with the over 40 crowd.

I think in the future you'll see these become the norm for everyone.

The argument against these types of sights is...shortsighted. :biggrin:

275RLTW 8 March 2016 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixedLoad (Post 1058547917)
I think in the future you'll see these become the norm for everyone.

The argument against these types of sights is...shortsighted. :biggrin:

So you're saying that we need to "see the light?"

glockcqc 8 March 2016 19:13

RMR
 
I frequently carry a G20C w/an RMR & a Streamlight TLR-1.

RMR durability: I have not broken it yet; nor, have I had any zero creep. I've been carrying it for about 2 years. My concealment clothes seem to be wearing the paint off the right side corners of the sight; but, that's it.

It works for me. I am more accurate & I am faster. I took the iron sights off also. They were just getting in the way of what I needed to see.

I've gone to a "different" technique of bringing the weapon from the holster to where I press. Tech. used by the Philipino USPSA shooters.

Good shooting

1RiserSlip 8 March 2016 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058547896)
I think in the future, you are going to see these becoming more and more popular with the over 40 crowd.

What' are you trying to say? Lol...Now were back to the shotgun/00 buck idea. Which isn't a bad choice.

The Fat Guy 8 March 2016 23:09

If you have an astigmatism, get the Trijicon. Its holographic and has no sparkle like the electric lights. It also has Tritium which is just bad ass. I was hesitant at first, but so far I am sold on it.

Davelrrp 8 March 2016 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockcqc (Post 1058547930)
I frequently carry a G20C w/an RMR & a Streamlight TLR-1.

RMR durability: I have not broken it yet; nor, have I had any zero creep. I've been carrying it for about 2 years. My concealment clothes seem to be wearing the paint off the right side corners of the sight; but, that's it

Good shooting

Good to see someone in my AO.

I do, however have a question. I am 6'1"+, 210-15 lbs, and I don't see ANY way your carry combo could be possibly be carried concealed without being rather obvious. What do you wear that won't telegraph, GUN? http://socnet.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

gavin 9 March 2016 00:11

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058547997)
If you have an astigmatism, get the Trijicon. Its holographic and has no sparkle like the electric lights. It also has Tritium which is just bad ass. I was hesitant at first, but so far I am sold on it.

What is the effect of rain/moisture? Does it wash out like this?

Hot Mess 9 March 2016 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixedLoad (Post 1058547917)
I think in the future you'll see these become the norm for everyone.

The argument against these types of sights is...shortsighted. :biggrin:

Bingo. As the SMU's go so does everyone else.

GPC 9 March 2016 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058547997)
If you have an astigmatism, get the Trijicon. Its holographic and has no sparkle like the electric lights. It also has Tritium which is just bad ass. I was hesitant at first, but so far I am sold on it.

If I decide to purchase one, Dual Illum is the one I'd go with.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved