SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   Work trailer (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=131724)

wowzers 8 February 2018 22:19

Work trailer

4 Attachment(s)
Bought a side by side this spring for work to replace my 1992 4wheeler and needed a way to haul it around and a place to stay while I'm working. I settled on converting a cargo trailer to a camper. I found an old 5th wheel on Craigslist that they were trying to sell to convert to a trailer. I talked the owners into selling me the oven/range and sink and cabinet doors and some other odds and ends. I plan on hooking my solar setup to it when I get back to my shop. Working in the northwest a way to dry your stuff out at the end of the day is a must plus the stove really cuts down on the condensation build up. The stove pipe comes out and I bought a RV roof vent and some all-thread to seal up the hole while on the move. I had planned to put some windows in it but kind of like the fact that it just looks like a trailer if I ever wanted to camp discretely. This one is 7x16 but if I didn't need to haul the machine with me a 6x12 would be plenty big I think. Thought some of you guys might get some ideas for a bugout trailer. Now I just need to find some camo netting to rig up for shade.

Sharky 8 February 2018 22:34

I like it!

GPC 8 February 2018 22:36

Nice!

IronCross 8 February 2018 22:44

Stealth camping, awesome.

sixgun 8 February 2018 22:51

Have you been parked up at 49 Degrees North ski area?

KW Driver 8 February 2018 22:56

kinda hard to stealth camp with that pipe running out of it, especially if there's smoke rolling out of it. I assume you insulated the walls behind the plywood? if you're serious about using it a lot, look at a deep cell house bank and a 12v cooler. buying ice gets old.

litepath 8 February 2018 23:26

Nice! Bet you could peel the paint right off with that Stove!:biggrin:

wowzers 8 February 2018 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixgun (Post 1058704955)
Have you been parked up at 49 Degrees North ski area?

No, not me. I just finished wiring the lights in tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KW Driver (Post 1058704958)
kinda hard to stealth camp with that pipe running out of it, especially if there's smoke rolling out of it. I assume you insulated the walls behind the plywood? if you're serious about using it a lot, look at a deep cell house bank and a 12v cooler. buying ice gets old.

I have a white RV roof cover that covers up the stove jack when I'm moving or don't need the stove. Makes it almost unnoticeable. I didn't insulate the walls yet because I was in a hurry to get it done for a job I'm headed to next week but plan on it. I'm running two big deep cycles parallel right now but will probably switch over to two Trojan 105's in series when they kick the bucket. Also plan on adding a 300 watt Samlex invertor at some point but the cigarette plug I wired up will have to do for now. I have a propane fridge/freezer that I'm going to build into a plywood box on casters tomorrow so I don't have to deal with venting it out of the side wall plus I think it will run cooler that way.

B 2/75 8 February 2018 23:29

That poster on the door looks suspiciously like a Chippendales advert...

'jes sayin'.... ;)

wowzers 8 February 2018 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by litepath (Post 1058704967)
Nice! Bet you could peel the paint right off with that Stove!:biggrin:

I'm sure. It doesn't take much of a fire to warm it up. Going to take it easy for a while till I know that silicone stove jack can handle the single wall. If not I'll switch back to a wall tent stove jack.

steve 9 February 2018 08:38

Simple but useful, I have a similar plan in my head. My wife caught me looking at solar panels and shook her head when I shared my vision.

The Fat Guy 9 February 2018 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 2/75 (Post 1058704969)
That poster on the door looks suspiciously like a Chippendales advert...

'jes sayin'.... ;)

Your post sounds suspiciously like the voice of experience.

Jus Sayin...

Wowzers,

HH6 and I watched a special on guys that build these and the configure their bed in such a way that it hangs from the roof, out of the way when not is use. Any thoughts on that?

wowzers 9 February 2018 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fat Guy (Post 1058705009)
Your post sounds suspiciously like the voice of experience.

Jus Sayin...

Wowzers,

HH6 and I watched a special on guys that build these and the configure their bed in such a way that it hangs from the roof, out of the way when not is use. Any thoughts on that?

I had thought about it, and that is the way a lot of commercial toy haulers are. They have some sort of pulley system that raises and lowers. You could probably fab something up with a hand crank or a cheap winch. I didn't go that route because I don't think the Honda pioneer would have still fit especially when I add tracks to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 1058705008)
Simple but useful, I have a similar plan in my head. My wife caught me looking at solar panels and shook her head when I shared my vision.

Just tell her how Uncle Sam picks up 30% of the bill in the form of a tax credit.

KW Driver 9 February 2018 11:49

solar prices are going up though, with the new tariffs

wowzers 9 February 2018 12:58

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is with the cover. I have some weather stripping to put around the edges of the cover to seal it.

GackMan 9 February 2018 14:06

That's pretty cool.

I've been looking at a lot of van conversions and such - where people take a cargo sprinter or similar and convert it to an RV or shop with solar, water, etc. There are several people who have rigged up beds that raise and lower on cables, etc. the bed is pulled all the way up to the ceiling when in transit. then lowered down to rest of blocks mounted to the wall for sleeping (so the weight isn't on the cables while sleeping).

RGR.Montcalm 14 February 2018 05:04

I have a friend that did something similar (no woodstove). He created a sink with running water with a port on the side and a gray water line that runs out onto the ground. Coleman stove for cooking with one of those 'folding kitchen' kits to set it on. Generator carried on he tongue for power with a small distro box. He mounted the beds on hinges so they folded up out of the way on the sides of the trailer so toys could fit in.

Seems like one of those heater/AC units on top would work for all weather types and be safer...

Hot Mess 14 February 2018 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by GackMan (Post 1058705088)
That's pretty cool.

I've been looking at a lot of van conversions and such - where people take a cargo sprinter or similar and convert it to an RV or shop with solar, water, etc. There are several people who have rigged up beds that raise and lower on cables, etc. the bed is pulled all the way up to the ceiling when in transit. then lowered down to rest of blocks mounted to the wall for sleeping (so the weight isn't on the cables while sleeping).

The van life. Some people do some ingenious things with all types of different vans and just travel around. When I eventually get fired thatís what Iím looking at doing.

RGR.Montcalm 14 February 2018 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Mess (Post 1058705956)
The van life. Some people do some ingenious things with all types of different vans and just travel around. When I eventually get fired thatís what Iím looking at doing.

Convert an old bus!

Hot Mess 14 February 2018 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm (Post 1058705972)
Convert an old bus!

To big and gas would probably not make it worth it. Some people in those vans will just drive up a dirt road and pull over to sleep or hangout for a few days. I wouldnít go any bigger than a Sprinter. Surfboard, bike, dog, and call it good.