SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   FAC's, JTAC's and Fire Support (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   USMC reserve ANGLICO (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=132673)

CoDela 9 November 2018 16:53

6th ANGLICO in Washington is a good option, as EShepp stated. Not sure if that flight is cheaper from MI to WA than MI to LAX.

Any luck on finding a unit?

busyworks 13 November 2018 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoDela (Post 1058761418)
6th ANGLICO in Washington is a good option, as EShepp stated. Not sure if that flight is cheaper from MI to WA than MI to LAX.

Any luck on finding a unit?

Not yet. Still about 3 months out from returning stateside. Reached out to a PSR in FL, and got no reply.

I actually just got in touch with the SgtMaj out at 6th ANGLICO. Will be giving him a call soon.

busyworks 30 December 2018 18:36

Found out more information, and got in touch with a lot of people, and it looks like I may be doomed/ineligible because of my TIS/TIG. While in the IRR, I am now in zone for E6, and will not be able to conduct a Lat-move into 0861 (from what I've heard).

To be more specific i'm in zone in my original MOS (0671/0679 for E6), but just barely under zone for 0861.Apparently if they can make the argument that I'm not in zone for 0861, and send me to the MOS school, I will be in zone immediately next fiscal year with very little credibility in my new MOS.

anyone have any opinions on this?

May look into other options such as TACP/CCT in the ANG/Air Force Reserves, or other MOS' in the USMC Reserves like 0211, 2336 that I may be eligible for a Lat-move into with my current TIS/TIG. I'd even take a voluntary rank in reduction if that was possible.

busyworks 30 December 2018 18:50

one more thing to note, on MOL my AFADBD 00000000.

Not sure if that has any impact on anything.

busyworks 31 July 2019 18:01

So turns out I was too senior to conduct a latmove into 0861 with the Marine Reserves.

I got a conditional release form apprived and I'm joining the 19th SFG(A) as either 35P, or 25C depending on my ability to obtain a TS(SCI).

I was wondering if there are any radio guys on here that have been in an SF group, or anyone that knows any 25 series dudes that have gone to JFO or a JTAC qualifying course. The recruiter mentioned that it was possible to go JFO/JTAC as a signal dude, and I wanted to see how accurate this was.

I know that the 18 series guys can attend the SOF JTAC course, so the chances are pretty low, but yea. I spoke with a contact of mine who is the Fires NCO/JTAC manager at an SF group and he said it WAS possible, but there needs to be a reason for it.

CAP MARINE 1 August 2019 09:39

Met a young man yesterday here in Norman, Oklahoma, he has friend that is with the 6th. No other info than that.if I see him again I will get a name

AlphaVictor 1 August 2019 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by busyworks (Post 1058807810)
So turns out I was too senior to conduct a latmove into 0861 with the Marine Reserves.

I got a conditional release form apprived and I'm joining the 19th SFG(A) as either 35P, or 25C depending on my ability to obtain a TS(SCI).

I was wondering if there are any radio guys on here that have been in an SF group, or anyone that knows any 25 series dudes that have gone to JFO or a JTAC qualifying course. The recruiter mentioned that it was possible to go JFO/JTAC as a signal dude, and I wanted to see how accurate this was.

I know that the 18 series guys can attend the SOF JTAC course, so the chances are pretty low, but yea. I spoke with a contact of mine who is the Fires NCO/JTAC manager at an SF group and he said it WAS possible, but there needs to be a reason for it.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your desired outcome here? Are you looking to be a JTAC, JFO/fires guy, or be a support guy at an SF group? I'm confused as to the job that you truly want. If you could clear that up, maybe I or others on here can help.

SN 1 August 2019 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by busyworks (Post 1058807810)
So turns out I was too senior to conduct a latmove into 0861 with the Marine Reserves.

I got a conditional release form apprived and I'm joining the 19th SFG(A) as either 35P, or 25C depending on my ability to obtain a TS(SCI).

I was wondering if there are any radio guys on here that have been in an SF group, or anyone that knows any 25 series dudes that have gone to JFO or a JTAC qualifying course. The recruiter mentioned that it was possible to go JFO/JTAC as a signal dude, and I wanted to see how accurate this was.

I know that the 18 series guys can attend the SOF JTAC course, so the chances are pretty low, but yea. I spoke with a contact of mine who is the Fires NCO/JTAC manager at an SF group and he said it WAS possible, but there needs to be a reason for it.

Go Air Guard as a TACP.

AlphaVictor 1 August 2019 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SN (Post 1058808097)
Go Air Guard as a TACP.

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

busyworks 2 August 2019 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaVictor (Post 1058808075)
If you don't mind me asking, what is your desired outcome here? Are you looking to be a JTAC, JFO/fires guy, or be a support guy at an SF group? I'm confused as to the job that you truly want. If you could clear that up, maybe I or others on here can help.

I was set on being a JFO/JTAC within a reserve ANGLICO unit, however that was not possible due to TIS/TIG restrictions. I decided to join 19th Group as a support guy.

However if having an additional duty as a JFO/JTAC is possible then that would be great.

hawkdrver 2 August 2019 05:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by busyworks (Post 1058808113)
However if having an additional duty as a JFO/JTAC is possible then that would be great.

I'm sure it's not what you meant, but a JTAC qual isn't an additional duty kind of thing.

Very few folks do it well, and most of them that do qualify for BTDT tags here.

If you're serious about doing it, find a Guard or Reserve TACP unit and apply there.

Just my $.02.

AlphaVictor 2 August 2019 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by busyworks (Post 1058808113)
I was set on being a JFO/JTAC within a reserve ANGLICO unit, however that was not possible due to TIS/TIG restrictions. I decided to join 19th Group as a support guy.

However if having an additional duty as a JFO/JTAC is possible then that would be great.

Not to rain on your parade, but the likelihood of becoming a JTAC as SF support is very low. Between Air Force TACPs, Combat Controllers, Army Rangers and Green Berets, your chances of getting a seat at JTACQC or even SOTAC are extremely slim. They military desperately needs JTACs, but there's only so many you can train at once, and the preponderance of slots go to Air Force TACPs. Basically what I'm getting at is if you want to blow things up with close air support, be a TACP. I can almost guarantee you there won't be the same issue with your TIS/TIG, especially with the chronically low manning currently plaguing Guard TACP squadrons. If this is something that interests you, message me directly and I can put you in touch with the unit nearest you or just shed some more light on the career field as a whole.

Silverbullet 2 August 2019 09:34

Good gouge. Thanks for proving it for him.

busyworks 2 August 2019 13:50

Oh, no. I whole heatedly agree with you guys. I didn't mean to brush it off as just something to do on the side.

For now I chose a different route, but when the recruiter mentioned that was an option as a support dude with his unit, it obviously caught my attention

Just wanted to verify if any of you had heard of that, or if that guy was just blowing smoke up my ass. Definitely seems like the latter.

Thanks again for the replies. Didn't mean to make it seem like I was understating the importance/difficulty of the FO/JTAC career field.

82Redleg 2 August 2019 15:21

The ARNG can do different things, and there are obviously exceptions to every rule in the military. That said, I've never seen an Army JTAC that wasn't 18-series or a 13F. I'm sure there's one, likely more than one, somewhere, but it's not exactly common, normal or routine.

AlphaVictor 2 August 2019 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by busyworks (Post 1058808205)
Oh, no. I whole heatedly agree with you guys. I didn't mean to brush it off as just something to do on the side.

For now I chose a different route, but when the recruiter mentioned that was an option as a support dude with his unit, it obviously caught my attention

Just wanted to verify if any of you had heard of that, or if that guy was just blowing smoke up my ass. Definitely seems like the latter.

Thanks again for the replies. Didn't mean to make it seem like I was understating the importance/difficulty of the FO/JTAC career field.

You didn't do that at all, no worries. I, and I'm sure the others who replied just want to help make sure you have all the information necessary to make an informed decision about career choice, free of rumor and hearsay. I wish you the best of luck on your endeavors.

busyworks 3 August 2019 03:07

I definitely appreciate the feedback. I was just worried that I was coming across the wrong way.

I got some legitimate replies from everyone that will hopefully help some other people too who are also looking for info on similar topics.

hawkdrver 3 August 2019 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by busyworks (Post 1058808326)
I was just worried that I was coming across the wrong way.

LOL. If you had you would have already heard about it more directly :biggrin:

The guys here are trying to help you, but manage your expectations at the same time.

What I probably didn't communicate effectively in my previous post is that it's a difficult specialty to stay current and qualified in, much less proficient, even if you do it full time, for a few reasons mentioned above. Guys that are good at it when it's a qual maintained outside their primary MOS are few and far between, and among those the vast majority, at least that I've run across, have been SOF.

I was both a ground ALO and airborne qualified FAC before the JTAC designation came about in 2003. It was probably the most difficult checkout I've done not counting the Sandy qual. It was also one of the most rewarding.
Great community to be in. I can dig up some contacts to a few ASOS units if you're so inclined.

swamppirate 6 August 2019 12:19

PM me with questions.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved