SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Very Slow Section (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=131625)

Polypro 25 January 2018 07:33

Very Slow Section
 
Is everyone 10% BF with an 8 pack, lifting at least 1x, 1.5x, and 2x on Bench, Squat, and Deadlift? My self taught Master's degree in this stuff needs something to do. If you're old and fat and on your way to an early grave, ask some questions :biggrin:

Steve40th 25 January 2018 07:39

Okay, I need to lose weight, build muscles. But, I have knees that arent good for running anymore, and pools are seasonal for the most part.
What say you to where I can lose 25 lbs of gut, and start building core strength.
I am 5'10" 205

24/7 25 January 2018 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polypro (Post 1058701316)
Is everyone 10% BF with an 8 pack, lifting at least 1x, 1.5x, and 2x on Bench, Squat, and Deadlift? My self taught Master's degree in this stuff needs something to do. If you're old and fat and on your way to an early grave, ask some questions :biggrin:

Are you cute?

Polypro 25 January 2018 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24/7 (Post 1058701320)
Are you cute?

Handsome AF! :biggrin:

Polypro 25 January 2018 08:25

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve40th (Post 1058701318)
Okay, I need to lose weight, build muscles. But, I have knees that arent good for running anymore, and pools are seasonal for the most part.
What say you to where I can lose 25 lbs of gut, and start building core strength.
I am 5'10" 205

Start here as a baseline (I just used the first Google result for 'TDEE Calculator' - there are tons, and apps too - use what you like)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.ph...70&act=1.2&f=1

I assumed mid-30's, change accordingly. Also adjust activity level if needed, from Sedentary.

Get a food tracking app and learn to use it and track everything. "Intuitive Eating" is F'ng BS - most of the American population "intuitively eats" - they're called the "Obesity Epidemic".

This is a very rough starting point only - you're scale, and especially a cloth tape measure barely denting the skin around your gut, will be how you dial it in.

You are 93kg. I personally would adjust my macros as 2g/kg Protein, 0.5-1g/kg Fat, and the rest Carbs, up to your kcal limit. To lose fat, you need to eat 500-1000kcals UNDER your TDEE. Go as low as you can stand without cheating on it. Even a couple hundred under will still drop fat - it will just take longer.

Shoot for 1-2lbs loss on the scale per week and smaller circles around your gut with the tape. Always weigh and measure on the same day/time and same condition (before food and after the bathroom is good).

Running... LOL, you want to look like a Kenyan? :biggrin: Cardio is for your heart (muy importante), but it doesn't really "burn" a lot of fat while you are doing it. The increased metabolic rate from it (and lifting heavy ass weights!!!) is what contributes to the negative energy balance (combined with your caloric deficit) for the other 22hrs of the day. Walk briskly for 45min EVERY DAY - that'll do it. Or hop on a non-impact machine. Hit a heavy bag as fast as you can for 15 seconds and rest 45 - repeat (called HIIT) - will smoke your bags. Get creative.

You need to lift weights, period. Find a $10/month gym chain close by. You can start off with bodyweight stuff, but eventually you'll have to hit the metal. Muscle tissue is what uses the fat for energy - the more you have, the better.

Exercises and how you program them is another topic.

Bottom line is it takes time - you didn't put on that 25 overnight, it ain't coming off overnight either. Doing the above, it will take 12-24 (3-6months) weeks to lose that 25. And don't look "too" much at the scale - resistance training will add weight, while the fat loss is occurring - worry more about the tape measure and the mirror and how clothes fit - especially Jeans.

At my worst, I couldn't button these 44" shorts. 34's are loose currently.

Gsniper 25 January 2018 08:40

I'm 5'9" 185. I'm on a jihad to get back to plus/minus 170. I'm 6 weeks into 3mi per day on my treadmill, 100pu, 100su five times per week. I'm not counting calories, but I have eliminated bread, potatoes and rice. I allow myself 6 beers per week. I'm a long way from the nearest gym. Without access to equipment, what would you recommend I add exercise and diet wise?

I live in Appalachia, around here Mountain Dew and Meth seems to be effective, but that's my last resort.

Polypro 25 January 2018 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsniper (Post 1058701333)
I'm 5'9" 185. I'm on a jihad to get back to plus/minus 170. I'm 6 weeks into 3mi per day on my treadmill, 100pu, 100su five times per week. I'm not counting calories, but I have eliminated bread, potatoes and rice. I allow myself 6 beers per week. I'm a long way from the nearest gym. Without access to equipment, what would you recommend I add exercise and diet wise?

I live in Appalachia, around here Mountain Dew and Meth seems to be effective, but that's my last resort.

You need to track calories, and eat the right ratios as above. No way around it. It's math and thermodynamics. You currently require x amount of kcals to maintain - the only way to consume 500-1000 less, is to count.

Add pullups (mostly back) /chinups (some biceps too) to balance the pushups. Put some bricks etc.. in a backpack to add resistance. Do bodyweight squats (then add the weighted pack) for your lower body. I'd switch to hanging leg raises (find a tree or rafter), crunches (weighted eventually) and planks for your abs/core. Look up "Convict Conditioning" and hit YouTube for "Bodyweight Exercises" and ways to add resistance (gallon jugs, paint cans, cinder-blocks, sandbags, etc...

MikeC2W 25 January 2018 09:04

I prefer fat, beer, and vodka drinking Poly.

Polypro 25 January 2018 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC2W (Post 1058701342)
I prefer fat, beer, and vodka drinking Poly.

Not me - I was dying. 160/90 BP. I'm sure my fasting glucose was probably over 110 too. Never again.

The Fat Guy 25 January 2018 09:11

I did this after seeing Poly in person and followed what he said above. Its really works well. sadly, I went on an extended OCONUS trip, got injured and well, throw in a few more excuses. The cool part is I ate what I wanted, was never hungry and really what it came down to for me was just understanding how much I really ate when I prepared a meal. Time to follow Poly's lead again. Bonne Chance fellas. I did well with my kettle bell exercises that used multiple major muscle groups.

Chimo 25 January 2018 09:32

When I met you at DH's 50th he was telling me how much you had lost and how good you looked. (He got a little too excited with your looks:eek:)

After a back injury around thanksgiving I was stagnant for 6 weeks. My wife is a great cook/baker, which is dangerous. Since Jan 8th I've started doing 2 miles every morning and weights 3x a week I have dropped 14lbs. I've got a long way to go. I try and eat at least 3x a day even if it's just a protein shake to keep my motabolim burning. I still eat what I want but try to make better choices and eat less.

Next week I plan on upping my cardio but I am not going too heavy on weights for fear of my back going out again.

Gsniper 25 January 2018 09:41

Thanks Poly, all that should be do-able minus the squats, knees are shot, career Grunt.

I'm going to search the Convict Conditioning videos. That may end up helping me on several levels.:eek:

northwesttech 25 January 2018 13:47

I found a squat rack/bench setup on craigslist and set it up in my garage for weights. This way I don't have to wait for others to finish before I use the weights, plus there are safety bars on the sides so you don't drop a bar full of weights on yourself. Also leave the collars off the bar so you can dump the weights.
Mine also has a pull up bar and I bought a couple of pipes to lay across the safety bars for dips.

Kettlebells, sandbags, and a heavy bag for are great accessories. I think sandbag workouts can work really well if you don't have free weights. Cheap dumbbells from Walmart are a good option for those type of exercises.

I think heavy bag work is a really good cardio option if you can't run or swim. Amazon has them for around $100-150 and they deliver. Just need a good place to hang it.

Diet is key as you get older (over age 35 or so in my non professional opinion). Drinking beer requires sacrifices in other areas for me.

Doc P 25 January 2018 14:18

I've lost 10lbs (@207 now) since March by getting up early, eating better, and drinking less beer. Crazy concept. Building my garage gym was key as well as some great Jocko Podcast. Re: Workouts I echo others to take advantage of kettle bells, pull up bars, weight vests, airs squats, WOSS bands, and other relatively cheap and accessible equipment. You don't have to take 1 1/2 hours in a gym if you workout for 20 minutes with minimal breaks. Also consider Tabata style, they are four minutes but great to mix in. Look at the MARSOC Short Card and build up. America!!

Sample workout 1 (Heavy): "Filthy Fifty" - 50 box jumps/50 jumping pull ups/50 35# kb swings/50 walking lunge steps/50 knees to elbows/50 35# kb push press/50 4-count flutter/50 20# wall balls/50 burpees/ 50 double unders

Sample workout 2 (Medium): 5 sets of w/30lb vest 5 sets of 5 61# kb goblet squats/10 push ups/5 double 35# kb clean to press/10 hanging knee raises/10 61# kb swings/5 20# ball slams / 5 each side 35# kb Turkish get ups

Sample workout 3 (Light): 3 sets of 10 hanging knee raises / 10 61# kb swings / 10 burpees / 15 heavy band curls / 1 minute plank / 100 yd double 61# kb farmer's carry

MikeC2W 25 January 2018 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polypro (Post 1058701343)
Not me - I was dying. 160/90 BP. I'm sure my fasting glucose was probably over 110 too. Never again.

Yo, Batman, why so serious? I was kidding. :biggrin: Glad to see you getting yo fitness on!

Steve40th 25 January 2018 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polypro (Post 1058701329)
Start here as a baseline (I just used the first Google result for 'TDEE Calculator' - there are tons, and apps too - use what you like)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.ph...70&act=1.2&f=1

I assumed mid-30's, change accordingly. Also adjust activity level if needed, from Sedentary.

Get a food tracking app and learn to use it and track everything. "Intuitive Eating" is F'ng BS - most of the American population "intuitively eats" - they're called the "Obesity Epidemic".

This is a very rough starting point only - you're scale, and especially a cloth tape measure barely denting the skin around your gut, will be how you dial it in.

You are 93kg. I personally would adjust my macros as 2g/kg Protein, 0.5-1g/kg Fat, and the rest Carbs, up to your kcal limit. To lose fat, you need to eat 500-1000kcals UNDER your TDEE. Go as low as you can stand without cheating on it. Even a couple hundred under will still drop fat - it will just take longer.

Shoot for 1-2lbs loss on the scale per week and smaller circles around your gut with the tape. Always weigh and measure on the same day/time and same condition (before food and after the bathroom is good).

Running... LOL, you want to look like a Kenyan? :biggrin: Cardio is for your heart (muy importante), but it doesn't really "burn" a lot of fat while you are doing it. The increased metabolic rate from it (and lifting heavy ass weights!!!) is what contributes to the negative energy balance (combined with your caloric deficit) for the other 22hrs of the day. Walk briskly for 45min EVERY DAY - that'll do it. Or hop on a non-impact machine. Hit a heavy bag as fast as you can for 15 seconds and rest 45 - repeat (called HIIT) - will smoke your bags. Get creative.

You need to lift weights, period. Find a $10/month gym chain close by. You can start off with bodyweight stuff, but eventually you'll have to hit the metal. Muscle tissue is what uses the fat for energy - the more you have, the better.

Exercises and how you program them is another topic.

Bottom line is it takes time - you didn't put on that 25 overnight, it ain't coming off overnight either. Doing the above, it will take 12-24 (3-6months) weeks to lose that 25. And don't look "too" much at the scale - resistance training will add weight, while the fat loss is occurring - worry more about the tape measure and the mirror and how clothes fit - especially Jeans.

At my worst, I couldn't button these 44" shorts. 34's are loose currently.

Thanks a bunch. I am 50, and just got laid off, so I now have even more time..
One funny thing I notice, if I am physically working on a project, like a tune up, brakes on a car, I rarely eat, i just drink fluids. Not beer..
I will start walking right after seeing Doc in the morning for blood work and BP meds..
Canned tuna and salad help much?
Thanks again.

Stretch 25 January 2018 21:00

First off, congrats on going from a 44” waist to a loss 34”.

Many moons ago, I worked my way down from a 42” to a 34”.

I am still at a 34” And about 15 pounds heavier. The tape don’t lie, nor do my pants.

BMI resting is good a baseline and anything below that will keep me squared away.

Currently around a BMI of 1800, and sedentary for me is about 2200.

I blame the 15 pounds in the Italian restaurant eating at about two times a week. Those meals were probably damn near my entire intake to maintain at less than sedentary.

I like your link, because it put it in a little more perspective; particulary the ratios of protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

Keep it up, it won’t kill you; unless you don’t and then it will at some point.

Heart-health/cardio is first on the list for me

V/R

S

8654maine 25 January 2018 21:37

1 Attachment(s)
This IS a slow section.

No matter the age, sex, condition, health or time-of-day, it is never too late to get fit.

It is never too late to get stronger, faster, leaner, and better.

For a while, I let myself go. I smoked. I slothed. I overate.

I had a 29 inch waste and it ballooned up big time. Down to 32-33 now.

This is diabetes. This is high blood pressure. This is 53 years old. This is me.

Attachment 38981

I exercise, both cardio and resistance. I do a minimum of 20 minutes of cardio and combination of calisthenics and lifting. If I can't, then I cross country ski, ruck or hike. I intend on getting back to swimming.

It's about getting the heart rate up and increasing my metabolism.

It's also about not getting injured. At my age, my biggest concern is repetitive motion and joint injuries.

I already went through a Achilles tendon rupture. Sucks.

I eat a balanced meal and try not to go anal about counting calories or carbs.

PT for me is Physical Therapy, not training. It is also Psychological Therapy as well.

Life, like training, is about pleasure, goals, and just doing it.

Atrax 25 January 2018 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8654maine (Post 1058701574)
It's also about not getting injured. At my age, my biggest concern is repetitive motion and joint injuries.

Even at my relatively young age (30), this is basically the name of the game for me. Runner's knee, rotator cuff inflammation, etc are all a reality for me, which makes it easier for the excuses to take over.

I'm having great luck with dry needling, but am worried that if I hurt at 30, what's 50 gonna be like?

Gsniper 25 January 2018 22:07

Quote:

what's 50 gonna be like?
It's going to suck. Suck it up buttercup.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 18:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved