SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   Does anyone bike here?(Road bike/ Mountain bike) (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=78014)

number1 19 May 2008 22:15

Does anyone bike here?(Road bike/ Mountain bike)

Just wondering who the bikers on this website are. I bought a road bike about a year ago and got addicted. anyone else? oh and if you do, what do you ride?

i ride a entry level bike, 54cm, alum. 17lbs. 14 speed. made by some shitty company called Kent, but none the less its fast.

KidA 19 May 2008 22:23

Used to road race before a car decided to turn left in front of me ensuring I'll need a hip replacement by the time I'm forty.

Lots of bikers on here though.

Strong Frames custom, full Dura Ace, Thompson, Cane Creek, Mavics, and so on and so forth...not many 15lbs steel bikes out there!

Ranger5280 19 May 2008 23:44

Mountain bike. I ride a YETI.

HK FAN 19 May 2008 23:44

I used to ride mtn every day before i started dialysis. I miss it very much. Tons of trails and downhill trails out here in cali. I rode a specialized demo9. Hoping for the day i can ride again.

JRB11 20 May 2008 00:26

Used to ride mtn exclusively, still have a Giant XTC full susp. Made 3 trips to Moab Utah before kids. Now it's mostly road, try and put in 2K each season. Road from Seattle to Boston 10 years ago (to visit Teddy K!). I'm doing the Seattle to Portland, 205m, in a day this year. I've owned a Bianchi Reparto Corsi I bought on Ebay for a few years. Sweet ride.

Fofo 20 May 2008 00:49

I have a full suspension Iron Horse mountain bike, 24 speed, 22' frame and works as well as when I got it in 2006.

I usually cycle about 5-8 times a week. I'm about two minutes away from a ravine full of walking and bike paths/deathtraps. :D

offcamber 20 May 2008 03:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger5280 (Post 1003159)
Mountain bike. I ride a YETI.

575? I have an 06 575 that I built up, raced and had stolen in May of 07. I recovered it back in December after finding it advertised on Craigslist and busing the thief. It's nice to be back in the Tribe. I couldnt afford to buy another one if I hadn't recovered mine.

dougage 20 May 2008 04:08

I've been riding a Marin Mount Vision since 2005. Dont really do trails anymore, but its good around the hood.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride...uct_123122.jpg

r8er55 20 May 2008 08:09

XL Gary Fisher back and forth to work.

PocketKings 20 May 2008 08:32

I have a Guru Trilite triathlon (TT) bike, an off brand road bike, and a Scott mountain bike hardtail.

I ride 50-100 miles/week on the road and spend a few hours on the trainer watching Sportscenter a couple of times per week.

T-Rock 20 May 2008 08:34

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Does anyone bike here?
Not as much as I’d like, I’m a TriGeek on sabbatical…:D...the ride is my favorite part of triathlon…:D

Prior to hosing up my shoulders, this was my rocket - Cervelo P3 - Dura-Ace with HED 3‘s.
Attachment 4072

Although you can’t see too well from the pic, my son rides a Giant. I also have an old GT ZR 2.0 (Ultegra) for the Base Phase & winter months.

Once the kids quit nickel-and- dimeing to death, this is what I‘ll be in the market for- a Cervelo P3 Carbon
http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=P3C2008

Cervelo Rocks!!..:D

Quote:

I used to ride mtn every day before i started dialysis. I miss it very much.
Man….that’s gotta be tough, peritoneal or Hemo?….sure hope everything turns out OK and your renal function returns…

Slim 20 May 2008 09:24

I have a much neglected Specialized Allez Elite in the garage next to an even more neglected run-of-the-mill Haro hard tail mountain bike.

My schedule changed recently though so there is hope that the neglect will be ending soon. ;)

SOTB 20 May 2008 09:30

I have a Huffy-copy, flat tires and the gears stick when going to the upper range. Yeah, I'll be wearing that bitch out when I get back from Iraq/Disney World (two different places, BTW) -- I'll be riding to work and back 2-3 times per week.

The price of gas has exceeded my fear of dying at the hands of a 3-toothed mullet-head driving an 84 Nissan Sentra....

ex 20 May 2008 10:25

I ride a Cannondale Road Warrior 800. It's real fast. :cool:
I do three laps (20 miles) in Central Park three times a week - it's a lot more hilly than you'd imagine! Once or twice a year I'll ride up the Hudson River, cross the George Washington Bridge and follow the Palisade Parkway north. It's about 60 miles round-trip.

grappler 20 May 2008 11:46

Question

I'm glad someone posted this.

I'm looking to get a mountain bike for trails and ride on my non-running days. I will probably buy from someone on Craigslist because I know I'm no Lance Armstrong needing a $3,000 bike...:D

*** I'm 6'3, 225lbs. Can someone tell me what size mountain bike would fit me well?

Ranger5280 20 May 2008 12:37

Bike frame size is a very personal thing. It's best to ride anything you intend to buy first and see if it's comfortable.

DCH 20 May 2008 13:08

Alpinestars Al Mega DX Mtb. circa 1992 :o

grappler 20 May 2008 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger5280 (Post 1003379)
Bike frame size is a very personal thing. It's best to ride anything you intend to buy first and see if it's comfortable.

OK, cool...

I just figured someone would be able to say, 'you're such and such height, this size should fit you...'

Fofo 20 May 2008 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by grappler (Post 1003416)
OK, cool...

I just figured someone would be able to say, 'you're such and such height, this size should fit you...'

That's something that the staff at whatever bike shop will address when you tell them you're in the market. For taller guys like us, (I'm 6'6) you might have some trouble getting a larger size frame bike, but it's certainly not impossible.
It took me a week to get a special order 22' frame, and it was well worth the wait, fits me like a glove.

What kind of MTB you lookin' for? Hardtail? Full suspension?

SHOOB 20 May 2008 13:56

"I'm 6'3, 225lbs. Can someone tell me what size mountain bike would fit me well?"

A motorcycle!

I had a problem with alum frames when I was riding. I broke two hardtail frames off road. I bought a Rocky Mountain Steel frame and it is light a sheeet. I love it and would not trade it. If you have the money I would look and independent frames as well.