SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Actors/Actresses who served in the military (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=83890)

Papa Smurf 12 February 2009 09:37

Actors/Actresses who served in the military

Some of these are familiar, others might surprise you...

Nancy Kulp (Miss Hathaway from the Beverly Hillbillies) was a graduate of Florida State and the University of Miami. She served as a WAVE lieutenant during World War II.

Martha Raye, and several of her friends (Carole Landis, Al Jolson, Kay Francis and Mitzi Mayfair) formed a U.S.O. Troupe touring some of the most dangerous areas of both WWII and Korea to support the troups.

Rod Serling, After graduation he enlisted in the Army. In May 1944 he served with the 511th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 11th Airborne Division in New Guinea and during the invasion of the Philippines. He was awarded the Purple Heart for a severe shrapnel wound to his leg.

Glenn Ford enlisted in the Marines when the United States entered World War II. Following his Marine service, he transferred his commission to the U. S. Naval Reserves. He retired as a Captain in the US Naval Reserve.

Henry Fonda stopped his movie career and joined the U. S. Navy in 1943, serving aboard a Destroyer in the Pacific (Ever wonder where the inspiration for "Mr. Roberts came from) until his return in 1946 earning the , American Campaign Medal; National Defense Medal; Philippines Liberation Medal (w/battle star); Asiatic Pacific Theater Medal (w/battle star and Overseas Service Bar.

Jason Robards, Jr., was a military man before he became an actor (joining at 17). He served in the U.S. Navy, as a Radioman on the U.S.S. Northampton, home ported in Pearl Harbor. Jason served in 14 major battles in the Pacific theater before becoming an actor.

Ed McMahan earned his wings as a Marine Fighter Pilot in 1944 and became an instructor teaching carrier landings and a test pilot. After World War II, he remained in the Marine Reserves and his television career was interrupted in 1952 when he was called back into the Marine Corps. He flew 85 combat missions in Korea. Later he retired from the Marines as a full Colonel.

Good on ya! :biggrin:

billdawg 12 February 2009 10:18

Don't forget Jimmy Stewart who was a General and commanded a bomber wing I think. ANd CLark Gable who flew bomber missions.
Bill Cosby was a corpsman in the Navy
Jimi Hendrix was in the 101st until he broke and ankle
Ice Cube was also in the Army I beleive.
Alan Alda was in artillery.
There have been a lot. There's a list out there somewhere, I will try to find it.

Tracy 12 February 2009 10:37

http://military.discovery.com/conver...out/about.html

rubberneck 12 February 2009 10:38

Charles Durning was one of only a handful of survivors of the Massacre at Malmedy. Aldo Ray (DaRe) who played Sgt Muldoon in the Green Berets served in one of the original UDT teams (according to his bio) and saw action in the Pacific theater. Lee Marvin was a Marine who was wounded at Saipan and is buried at Arlington.

Tracy 12 February 2009 10:43

Julia Chilld, OSS.

RedDawg_03 12 February 2009 10:48

Taken from his Bio:

Aldo Ray, born Aldo DaRe (September 25, 1926March 27, 1991) Aldo Ray was born Aldo DaRe on September 25, 1926 to an Italian American family of five brothers and one sister. In 1944, at the age of eighteen, Ray entered the Navy, where he served as a Frogman until 1946 and saw action at Okinawa with UDT-14.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-0>[1]</SUP>

mdb23 12 February 2009 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by billdawg (Post 1106881)
Jimi Hendrix was in the 101st until he broke and ankle

That's not why he got out. That's why he said that he got out during interviews, but the records indicate otherwise.

You wouldn't like the real reason.

1026 12 February 2009 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdb23 (Post 1106898)
That's not why he got out. That's why he said that he got out during interviews, but the records indicate otherwise.

Jumpin' Junkie?

CarbineM1 12 February 2009 11:00

Quote:

:biggrin::biggrin:
Also very funny !

billdawg 12 February 2009 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy (Post 1106893)
Julia Chilld, OSS.

NO SHIT!!! Wow, I never knew that. Puts a little different spin on her now,lol.

billdawg 12 February 2009 11:08

Quote:

Well, knowing the culture then, wouldn't surprise me if he was a war-hating hippy,lol.

RedDawg_03 12 February 2009 11:18

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by billdawg (Post 1106906)
NO SHIT!!! Wow, I never knew that. Puts a little different spin on her now,lol.

She was pretty hot too! I saw a picture of her when she was serving and she had some nice legs! :biggrin:

iraqgunz 12 February 2009 11:26

Clint Eastwood served in the Army at Ft. Ord during the Korean War. IIRC, he was a swim instructor.

Gene Hackman was a Marine and I believed that he served just after WW2. He was underage when he enlisted as well.

Charles Bronson was a belly turret gunner during WW2.

wowzers 12 February 2009 11:30

Lee Marvin, and Shaggy were both Marines if I recall correctly.

Psi Brr 12 February 2009 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy (Post 1106893)
Julia Chilld, OSS.

Shit, that's right! I completely forgot about her!

iraqgunz 12 February 2009 11:35

See #4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wowzers (Post 1106919)
Lee Marvin, and Shaggy were both Marines if I recall correctly.

Psi Brr 12 February 2009 11:36

Don't forget Audie Murphy, the most decorated American combat soldier of World War II.

Fred Rodgers (Mr. Rodgers) and Bob Keeshan (Capt. Kangaroo) were both WWII Marines

Mini-Poly 12 February 2009 11:42

Don't forget Bob 'Captain Kangaroo' Keeshan and Fred Rodgers from "Mr. Rodgers neighborhood"

rubberneck 12 February 2009 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psi Brr (Post 1106926)
Don't forget Audie Murphy, the most decorated American combat soldier of World War II.

Fred Rodgers (Mr. Rodgers) and Bob Keeshan (Capt. Kangaroo) were both WWII Marines

Bob Keeshan was a Marine but Fred Rodgers never served.

Psi Brr 12 February 2009 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberneck (Post 1106932)
Bob Keeshan was a Marine but Fred Rodgers never served.

Fred Rodgers never served??? Wow... that was an old hand-me-down story from the guys in the Corps I knew, too...