SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

Kiowa5 4 February 2006 17:36

Iraq war by Williamson Murryand Major General Robert H. Scales, Jr., On Guerrilla Warfare by Mao Tse-Tung, and Insurgency and Terrorism: Inside modern revolutionary warfare by Bard E. O'Neill

schoelman 5 February 2006 13:39

just finished in the company of soldiers - rick atkinson

Musashi
The book of Five Rings

and re-reading richdad poordad cashflow quadrant

AllAmerican75 5 February 2006 13:51

I'm currently reading Born Fighting by James Webb.

Queen Beach 5 February 2006 16:11

Just finished "Not a Good Day to Die" Good read...and frustrating at times.

lilome 5 February 2006 17:51

The Power of a Praying Parent, Stormie Omartian
It is really good, I am really big on prayer, so for me is almost like a" check list" or reasurring ,
I had not seen many good reviews on it, but you can't accept someone elses opinion on books all the time so I picked it up anyway and it was not as bad as ppl were making it out to be.

I also read, How To Talk To a liberal if You Must, Ann Coulter...of course
it made me laugh, did not walk away from it feeling like I had learned anything new, but is a good book to keep out on the coffee table for when the liberal inlaws come over...along with my Bible...hahahaha

Nadir_E 10 February 2006 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen Beach
Just finished "Not a Good Day to Die" Good read...and frustrating at times.

+1 on this one. "Roberts Ridge" by Malcom MacPherson is a good adjunct to Naylor's book.

I recently read "Hunting Al Qaeda" by 'Anonymous' [a reserve SF team] which had similar themes to Naylor's book (i.e. frustration with the Big Army way of doing things). Hard to tell how much of this was 'sour grapes' between regular army and reserves.

If you're looking for something primarily on the Iraq War I also recommend "One Bullet Away" by Nathaniel Fick.

-N

Queen Beach 10 February 2006 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadir_E
+1 on this one. "Roberts Ridge" by Malcom MacPherson is a good adjunct to Naylor's book.

I recently read "Hunting Al Qaeda" by 'Anonymous' [a reserve SF team] which had similar themes to Naylor's book (i.e. frustration with the Big Army way of doing things). Hard to tell how much of this was 'sour grapes' between regular army and reserves.

If you're looking for something primarily on the Iraq War I also recommend "One Bullet Away" by Nathaniel Fick.

-N

Thanks for the heads up...I was drawn in and thought so much about how CRITICAL communication and trust is.

Queen Beach 21 February 2006 20:47

Just finished "Robert's Ridge"....good read after "Not a Good Day to Die"

Also read "Hostage" W.E.B. Griffin

Now on to "Masters of Chaos" Linda Robinson

Dino0311 1 March 2006 15:05

I just read the two latest Griffin books. It's official: he's going down hill. The first one was okay-ish, but the most recent just sucked. Shitty ending, shitty editing. How about the 20 year old Marine staff sergeant? Who wsan't a sniper because "we only have marksmen in the Marines, sir." :rolleyes:

I've enjoyed Griffin's books for years, but he's going down hill, and I wonder if he's even writing them personally.

Queen Beach 1 March 2006 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massgrunt
I just read the two latest Griffin books. It's official: he's going down hill. The first one was okay-ish, but the most recent just sucked. Shitty ending, shitty editing. How about the 20 year old Marine staff sergeant? Who wsan't a sniper because "we only have marksmen in the Marines, sir." :rolleyes:

I've enjoyed Griffin's books for years, but he's going down hill, and I wonder if he's even writing them personally.

I agree...I hate when it feels like a book is rushed at the end. The ENDING SUCKED!!! I had to go back and read it a couple of times to try to understand what "just happened".

Currently reading "Blue Ocean Stretegy"...looking for my next in line.

ECHO6GOLF 1 March 2006 15:41

Just finished Masters of Chaos....
And just picked up The Arab Mind..

Gray Rhyno 1 March 2006 16:22

E6G-
What did you think of "Masters of Chaos"? It's on my shelf right now, just a few books down the stack. Would you recommend I move it to the top?

newpilgrim 1 March 2006 23:10

Masters Of Chaos!

Read that book while I was on trip to Dallas a few months ago. It was a good read. I saw a book in my local Books A Million entitled The Book of Honor which is about some C.I.A. personnel and how they lived and died in the line of duty. Has anyone read this book? I also bought the book Jawbreaker by Gary Berntsen recently and plan to read it as well.

bryanm 23 March 2006 21:00

Current and recent

Current
Silent War - Peter Stiff story on South Africa's special forces
Covert War - Peter Stiff story on the South African Police counter insurgency unts.

Recent
Dogs of War - Al J Venter
Detente Vorsters Africa Friendship and Frustration - Al J Venter
Gurkha's - John Parker

Fiction
Rainbow 6 - Tom Clancy

Classic
Henry V- William Shakespeare

CAP MARINE 23 March 2006 21:56

Boys of 67

AllAmerican75 23 March 2006 23:07

Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy

Queen Beach 23 March 2006 23:43

The World Is Fla: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century, Thomas L. Friedman

Leadership, Rudolph Giuliani

Rob_0811 24 March 2006 11:46

The Ugly American - William Lederer

Street without Joy - Bernard Fall

I'm on a Vietnam kick for some reason.

Jimbo 24 March 2006 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by newpilgrim
Read that book while I was on trip to Dallas a few months ago. It was a good read. I saw a book in my local Books A Million entitled The Book of Honor which is about some C.I.A. personnel and how they lived and died in the line of duty. Has anyone read this book? I also bought the book Jawbreaker by Gary Berntsen recently and plan to read it as well.

I have read both. If you read Jawbreaker, be sure to read "First In" as well.

RLK 24 March 2006 20:27

Consider the Lobster.