SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Weapons (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   HK VP9 (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=122512)

GPC 31 December 2014 11:53

HK VP9

2 Attachment(s)
Santa brought me one since I was so good.:eek:

Initial thoughts

1)I really like how one can customize the grip of this weapon.
It literally melts into your hand.
The VP9 comes with S,M or L back straps and palm swells.Myself I found S palm swells and M back strap works for me.

2)Trigger is best in currently produced striker fired guns IMHO.Very short reset and smooth pull all the way through.
The only trigger I have found that is better is the P7 series.It has a trigger safety similar to Glocks.

3)Plenty of safety features on this weapon.Extractor acts as a loaded chamber indicator and the end of the striker is painted red and visible to indicate it is cocked.Very easy to field strip and clean.

4)Sights are 3 dot type with glow in the dark paint not a true night sight.I found the sights easy to accquire.

5) Uses P30 15 or 10 round mags.

How does it shoot?I was in a foul mood the other day so I grabbed 300 rounds and a target and off into the woods I went.I found the trigger had no creep and a crisp break.Recoil was very mild ammo was 115 gr ball.I pretty much shot the middle out of my target and hit the Pelvic Girdle also.I didn't really measure groups or anything.Ranges were from 10 ft to around 25 yards.I was in a fould mood so I really didn't pay that much attention.
No stoppages at all temp was 15 degrees out.
I found the paddle type mag release very easy to use and reload drills were very simple.
I really like the "cocking wings" as I call them.HK put them on to assist folks with diminished hand strength.With thick gloves on I had no issues power stroking during reloads.Some might not like them but found they work well and don't get in the way.Trigger guard has plenty of room for shooting with gloves.The VP9 has a 1913 rail and my TLR-1 light fit with no problem.Size wise it is between a G17 and G19 I consider it a full size myself.The VP9 is fully ambi.

Cons/Dislikes
1)Magazines are not cheap also I found the edges very sharp need to buy a loading tool for sure.

2)After my session I found I had a blister on my trigger finger.
I believe it was caused by the groove around the trigger itself.From research HK has that groove to prevent gloves from getting caught?Never heard of this as a issue.It was cold enough I didn't notice the whole time.Next time out I'll have to watch finger placement.

3)Holsters are out there and some P30 holsters will work with the VP9.I do not have a holster yet myself.

Conclusion

I think HK has a winner here my LGS had one for $650 which is cheap for a HK and should give Glock and others some competition.I really liked how this weapon felt and shot.
The VP9 is made in Germany and I saw no quality issues in function or finish.
Would I go and sell my Glocks?No but I will put the VP9 into regular shooting rotation.If they come out with a VP45 and a VP10 and keep them cost effective I might then sell my Glocks off.

Oldguy 31 December 2014 12:31

Thanks. But I hate you for starting me down the road to purchasing another handgun.

HF0311 31 December 2014 12:51

I shot one a couple months ago and was impressed with its accuracy, they seem like really nice guns and a fair alternative to Glocks or M&P's.

GPC 31 December 2014 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by HF0311 (Post 1058445953)
I shot one a couple months ago and was impressed with its accuracy, they seem like really nice guns and a fair alternative to Glocks or M&P's.

I agree,one can pretty much make this weapon fit their hand the way they want it.
I have heard the Walther PPQ is nice also.

litepath 31 December 2014 14:44

Heard and read nothing but good things about this weapon. No word on the larger calibers, but the 9mm might be nice for me to try.

HAVE the VP9 mold on it's way for holsters:biggrin: And the TLR-1 light as well as the Ultra300x. . .will say though, that light that Local has is a damn nice, slim profile light.. . .though I haven't seen the TLR/X300 output compared to it.

ETA: Locals light is the Viridian C5

GPC 31 December 2014 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by litepath (Post 1058445987)
Heard and read nothing but good things about this weapon. No word on the larger calibers, but the 9mm might be nice for me to try.

HAVE the VP9 mold on it's way for holsters:biggrin: And the TLR-1 light as well as the Ultra300x. . .will say though, that light that Local has is a damn nice, slim profile light.. . .though I haven't seen the TLR/X300 output compared to it.

ETA: Locals light is the Viridian C5

I think if the 9mm sells well HK might make more calibers.
Great thinking on using P30 mags also.
Wanted to add that grip texture was very sticky but not to aggressive to be uncomfortable.
As I shoot more I'll post more if there is interest.

My mood improved after shooting.;)

iraqgunz 31 December 2014 18:39

Dealer and LE price on these is pretty good. I have seen them online as low as 560.00. I predict that Glock is going to feel the heat after these things start circulating more. BORTAC is using this pistol currently and Larry Vickers has been shooting the piss out of it with good praises.

I know more than a few Glock owners who have shot the VP9 and are coming away impressed. I have handled one and only put a few rounds through it and my initial impression was good.

I am very close to dumping one of my like new G17's for a VP9.

leopardprey 31 December 2014 19:17

As GPC stated, have heard other though do not like the trigger (regarding the pinching and blister effect it has). ???

Wonder how this compared to the Walther PPQ?

Still wanting a Steyr L9-A1 for my next 9mm though.

GPC 31 December 2014 19:42

On the blister from the glove trough on the trigger guard.I was dry firing my G19 and my finger just touches the trigger guard.I broke out other handguns and found I do it on all of them.
I do have fat fingers so that might be a factor.
I'm approaching the HK blister like hammer bite from 1911s.Shows I'm dedicated lol.

sabasarge 31 December 2014 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopardprey (Post 1058446055)
As GPC stated, have heard other though do not like the trigger (regarding the pinching and blister effect it has). ???

Wonder how this compared to the Walther PPQ?

Still wanting a Steyr L9-A1 for my next 9mm though.

Leopardprey, have you had your hands on one of these? Just curious if your are simply enamored with the idea or if you or someone you know has had a chance to shoot one. I admit to a peaked curiosity myself. Thanks.

leopardprey 31 December 2014 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabasarge (Post 1058446088)
Leopardprey, have you had your hands on one of these? Just curious if your are simply enamored with the idea or if you or someone you know has had a chance to shoot one. I admit to a peaked curiosity myself. Thanks.

Not the L9 but have handled their M9 versions and liked the way it held, pointed, the trigger, ergonomics, etc. Plus, I am a big Steyr fan. Good reviews have been reading as well in the pistol - something to go against the "Glock" everyone has. I will probably get one in the future. I think the Steyrs, if they could ever get their marketing and distribution down, would give Glock a real run for the money.

jportal50 4 January 2015 22:50

My wife purchased me one yesterday as an early Bday gift. I fired it today, even though she wanted me to wait until my bday next month. Awesome, fired as well if not better than my G17. I like it.

GPC 5 January 2015 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jportal50 (Post 1058446744)
My wife purchased me one yesterday as an early Bday gift. I fired it today, even though she wanted me to wait until my bday next month. Awesome, fired as well if not better than my G17. I like it.

Did you try different palm swell and backstrap combos?
Next time I'm out I'll do a side by with a Gen 1 17 unless TFG will loan me one of his newer Gens?;)

jportal50 5 January 2015 19:57

I did not change them out; it felt pretty good in my hand. I did not want to make it any larger as my wife is petite (5'2, 100lbs) as is my oldest daughter (13)so it can fit in their hands, so I will leave it a "medium". I may change the back strap just to see, but it really feels good right now when firing. Also, I put 200 rounds through it and did not have any challenges with the trigger or my finger, either left or right handed. I am going to compare with my Gen 2 17 (Old Reliable) this week or weekend as well :)

Side note, I am really impressed she noticed I was researching this and the PPQ a month or so ago and remembered what I wanted. This thread came at the right time.

GPC 2 February 2015 13:15

Took mine out Sat in -0 temps and no malfunctions.
Attached a TLR-1 no issues with balance point of aim.(I shoot low so I tend to aim a tad high.)

Very happy with the accuracy I was shooting with and without gloves.Slow and Rapid and did some shoot and scoot in snowshoes which was challenging.

No holster yet so I was using HPG runners chest rig.

GPC 8 February 2015 11:15

Talked to my LGS said HK sold out of them for the year.
Got a holster from Litepath very well made as always.

Gunk 9 February 2015 09:49

Heinie makes their "ledge straight eight" sights for the VP9. That's a pretty solid sight picture for day or night use.

iraqgunz 9 February 2015 17:47

Sold out of what for the year?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPC (Post 1058454829)
Talked to my LGS said HK sold out of them for the year.
Got a holster from Litepath very well made as always.

GPC 9 February 2015 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraqgunz (Post 1058455067)
Sold out of what for the year?

VP9s supposedly.

litepath 9 February 2015 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPC (Post 1058455068)
VP9s supposedly.

That. Is. CraZy!

Yet good news too~