SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   The SOCNET watch thread.... (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=6596)

carpe282 14 June 2001 01:44

The SOCNET watch thread....

Has anyone out there actually been issued a watch or know anyone that was? If so which one? One of my side hobbies is mil-watches and I have never actually known someone that received one, even when I was in.

galaxy chief 14 June 2001 09:15

My father was issued a watch wile serving with the Army. Nothing fancy about it just a green nylon band with a 24 hour watch on it.

MARK92A 14 June 2001 10:09

Yep, we got them.. I wouldnt say it was "Issued", but they came in when we ordered them. I'll dig it up and give ya the specs. I think it was a navagators watch. They are better than the Non maintainables.

Whammer 14 June 2001 12:18

Maybe Mark92 can direct you better, but I understand some SF mountain teams are issued watches with the built in compass and altimeter. SUUNO(sp?) brand I believe...

di

fish78 14 June 2001 15:52

Try www.broadarrow.net

JSOCMarine 14 June 2001 16:51

Back in the day Force Recon Marines were issued Rolex Submariners (still wear mine every day). Later on the watches issued were the Seiko Divers Watch, and then years later a sterile, no markings grayish/black divers watch. I don't know what watch, if any, is currently issued.

The SEALS and Frogmen that I worked with also had been issued Rolex watches but I believe that like us some jealous "common air breathing, dirty nasty leg" finance officer skylined the practice among the heavies and the practice was discontinued. S/F

extremetacticalgear 14 June 2001 20:05

Hey Guys,

If you are interested in that Suunto watch, it is called the Vector. Specifications are as follows:

Combination altimeter(up to 9,000M), Barometer and compass
Has all the features of an advanced timepiece
Large easy to read digital display
Easy to operate with gloves on
Waterproof with electroluminescent backlight
Comes in Green, Black and Yellow.
I have them but not up on the site. If you want one let me know. I'll ship out the next day.

MARK92A 14 June 2001 22:11

Im scared to ask, but whats the price on the Vector?

extremetacticalgear 15 June 2001 12:11

Mark92A,

Price is $180.00.

Thanks for asking,

etg

carpe282 15 June 2001 20:48

Thanks for the replys. I am really interested in the general issue type watches,
Stocker and Yale, Marathon,Casio, etc.
I know that some special ops and aviation units will buy watches from the open market or buy sterile versions to fit specific needs. I know that some dive qualifed units will buy Seiko or Rolex and that most any unit can use its funds to order watches.
It is those GP type watches that I am trying to find first hand info on.
Mark92, what did your unit get and who are they going to be issued to?

emitfitzhume 15 June 2001 21:38

A very good friend of mine was a plank owner in Team One. He said he was issued a Rolex Submariner in those days. I believe they had to return them after dives though. Can't remember all the details, much Soju consumption at the time.

MARK92A 16 June 2001 00:34

I'll dig out my watch and let ya know. Like I said, They werent "issued" but being a QM guy, you do get some "fringe benefits"

Your unit can order them also if it has a NSN, isnt on the Control Degree Listing, and find a helpful Supply SGT to order it, and it gets past the Commanders Exception Report you can get one. (Thats for "normal" units, not Spec Ops or other units with huge Class 2 budgets)

However, we do have some (5-10 ea)for a company of 180 plus soldiers (yep 180, no kidding) on the property books, however, they stay locked up in a wall locker in supply, only to see the light of day for 10%'s and Change Of Commmand Inventories. Since it is a Property Book item, you loose it, a Report Of Survey gets done. It is easier to keep them locked up them issue them out and do the ROS when Joe looses his.

Joe90 14 March 2002 22:38

Watches

Its a bit late where I am (2:25 AM) so here comes the silly question for this month....

What do you use for watches when you are in the field? Is it down to personal choice or is there a super secret stealth watch thats too OPSEC to talk about?

Just wondering

I'll shut up and go to bed now

Joe90

Bill P. 14 March 2002 23:29

Wear whatever works for you Joe,
myself I like the Casio G-shock for when I'm in the field: water-proof, abuse-proof, useful functions, keeps good time.....good enough!:)

TGO 15 March 2002 04:18

Does anyone have an opinion on the Suunto Vector? It's a bit pricy at $189.00 but I love the idea of having a compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, 3 alarms, countdown timer, calendar, and stop watch. Oh, it tells time too. I'm a big fan of having backups of backups of my backups.

Anyone ever use one or hear anything in regards to them?

Thank you kindly.
TGO

Halo_06 16 March 2002 20:23

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill P.
Wear whatever works for you Joe,
myself I like the Casio G-shock for when I'm in the field: water-proof, abuse-proof, useful functions, keeps good time.....good enough!:)

That's right, go with what works best, personally, for you.

Now mw, I'm a G-Shock fan/user myself. Had mine for almost five years now, cheap too. Just remember to change the waterproof battery band when changing th battery. ;) I learn that the hard way.

Hope this helps...

jpi 7 April 2002 13:41

Quote:

Originally posted by TGO
Does anyone have an opinion on the Suunto Vector? It's a bit pricy at $189.00 but I love the idea of having a compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, 3 alarms, countdown timer, calendar, and stop watch. Oh, it tells time too. I'm a big fan of having backups of backups of my backups.

Anyone ever use one or hear anything in regards to them?

Thank you kindly.
TGO

I have a Suunto X-Lander, it's the same as Vector except it has a leather strap. This is great watch, someone may think it looks silly with the display being so big but I take it as a positive thing.

http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/doc...nder270pix.jpg

I'm not a soldier so I haven't tested in the field but I'm an aviator and this watch works great in that use.

BTW. You mentioned thermometer and I must say that it's designed stupidly, because if you're wearing the watch it shows something between the outside temperature and your body temp. The manual says that you'll have to take the watch off and wait 15 minutes to get a proper indication.

Another great thing is the logbook. If you turn it on it saves your altitude every minute. Then you can afterwards browse your logbooks and see what you've done. Great especially when skiing...

MrPotatoHead 7 April 2002 16:05

Rolex

Each operator in a theater is issued a new Rolex Presidential prior to each deployment. Hahahahaahahahhahaa

hoats 3 May 2002 11:53

The SOCNET watch thread....

I am leaving for BCT in August and need to get a watch.

Would anyone suggest just buying one to make it through basic or would it be best to purchase on for the long haul.

Any suggestions?

I have seen the supposide SEAL watches for sale, but is there one that the SF or Ranger guys perfer?
-Where might you go about purchasing one of these, if there is one?

Thanks

Hoats

MrPotatoHead 3 May 2002 12:49

Any tough, cheap watch will do. I'm currently wearing my POS casio G-shock. Nice watches are for dressing up, garrison life to show people how high speed you are, to impress the girlies at the bar, and to "Keep up with the joneses." Now you'll hear all about how an analog watch can be used for navigation, how "This" watch is a superior timepiece, how "That" watch has been used on K2, etc. I don't know about anyone else but I use a friggin compass for navigation and a watch to tell time and have always been able to tell which direction is north. That said, I've always wanted a Rolex Submariner but could never bring myself to spending the $$$. I'd rather have a whole bunch of really nice gear than on single watch. Therefore, a $15.00 to $45.00 cheapie will serve you just fine and you don't care if it gets ripped off your wrist and run over by a Duce and a Half during training, left on some one night stands bedroom floor, or stolen by some POS Barracks Thief.