SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   AFSOC Aviation (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   STOL Competition (2011) (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=107455)

SATCOM 28 January 2012 10:53

STOL Competition (2011)
 
Having spent some time in AK for training over the years, I am constantly amazed at the skills of these Bush pilots.....

http://freedom4um.com/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=133255

CPTAUSRET 28 January 2012 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SATCOM (Post 1058091615)
Having spent some time in AK for training over the years, I am constantly amazed at the skills of these Bush pilots.....

http://freedom4um.com/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=133255

Impressive skills there!

tooslow 28 January 2012 12:55

Watching that film, the first thing that came to my mind was that practice for that competition could prove to be very expensive.
I am impressed.

Spinner 29 September 2018 14:18

Check out this STOL aircraft, built using the frame of a Polish built Wilga 2000.

It's called a DRACO and it looks like the baddest bush plane out there, light and with a lot of horsepower. It's amazing how quickly this thing jumps into the air, looks like less than 100 feet at sea level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqhI4MeCn1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Z2VNTFp-Q

B 2/75 29 September 2018 15:16

Alaska remoteness

Should note that it certainly helps to have a nice headwind... ;)

https://youtu.be/6XYFcw1c-Oo

low&slow 27 December 2018 22:10

For any interested. They will have another no doubt.

http://www.stoldrag.com/events/hsf2018

low&slow 27 December 2018 22:13

Anyone here have their CFI?

hawkdrver 27 December 2018 22:24

If anyone makes it up this way, the Valdez fly in is a great way to spend a day. As B 2/75 said, if there is any kind of headwind the landings look fake, like a CGI effect. I believe one year we were there and the total take off and landing distance was something like 35 feet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by low&slow (Post 1058771032)
Anyone here have their CFI?

Who's asking? :biggrin:

Local 27 December 2018 23:51

whats up with that website?

Lots of their articles come from Iranian "science"

like this and and this one and this. but it gets really interesting in this one where it says
Quote:

The ruling Jewish elite has struggled to attempt to make global warming into a popular issue, but it has obviously remained something that only an elite minority believes in, cares about or even thinks about. So when they cause a massive inconvenience to normal people’s lives in the name of this hoax, and the people revolt, the only actual solution is to lecture the people.
or this one where it says
Quote:

The dark horse of the New World Order is not communism, socialism or fascism, it is technocracy, according to economist and financial analyst Patrick Wood.

(Actually it's Zionism but MSM not allowed to say that)

He joined guest host Jimmy Church (email) to
very interesting group of articles .. all the more interesting when you look at where they come from and the editorial content in them.

I know this is a thread about awesome bush planes, and the video is awesome, but what the hell is up with the rest of it?

- Local

low&slow 29 December 2018 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkdrver (Post 1058771036)
If anyone makes it up this way, the Valdez fly in is a great way to spend a day. As B 2/75 said, if there is any kind of headwind the landings look fake, like a CGI effect. I believe one year we were there and the total take off and landing distance was something like 35 feet.



Who's asking? :biggrin:

I was in Bitterroot valley for a week last year; got hosed out some mountainous terrain training into Moose Creek (1U1), by the wildfires that were running rampant. You are really north brother. I tried to MAC into Elmendorf in 2005 but their strip was in a reduced capacity due to construction; canít hang out at Travis for ever, so that was as close as I got to Alaska. Spending time in AK is on my bucket list.

gwbarnes 29 December 2018 18:26

Lucked out with 2 tours in Alaska. First at Ft Richardson for 3 years, during which I earned private, commercial, instrument and seaplane ratings. The flying club was the largest military flying club in the world. Got time in a lot of different aircraft. Built time flying people in and out of remote strips and lakes, on hunting trips. Second tour was at Ft Greely for 3 years. Bought a Citabria, and flew it everywhere - almost 1000 hours. Saw several STOL competitions, but never competed. Good times.

low&slow 30 December 2018 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwbarnes (Post 1058771392)
Lucked out with 2 tours in Alaska. First at Ft Richardson for 3 years, during which I earned private, commercial, instrument and seaplane ratings. The flying club was the largest military flying club in the world. Got time in a lot of different aircraft. Built time flying people in and out of remote strips and lakes, on hunting trips. Second tour was at Ft Greely for 3 years. Bought a Citabria, and flew it everywhere - almost 1000 hours. Saw several STOL competitions, but never competed. Good times.

Sweet! Are you still current?

gwbarnes 30 December 2018 17:46

Unfortunately, no. Kept the plane a couple of years in Maine, then when I retired I sold it, intending to buy another. My post retirement career left me little time to fly. Fully retired now, and sometimes contemplate taking a shot at the flight physical, and if I can pass, get back into flying. We'll see.

DaveP 10 September 2019 15:16

For those needing a bush flying fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd43mO99CPU

Not specifically featuring STOL, but more the places it can take you.

Good visuals; I enjoyed it.
DaveP

gwbarnes 11 September 2019 06:15

Thanks for linking to that video. One of the best I have seen. I needed that.

CB 11 September 2019 16:53

What is the maximum headwind for that type of event? It seems that
under steady strong winds, some planes could descend vertically.

usmc_3m 12 September 2019 02:59

Ok stupid question: why planes and not rotary wings for these remote environments? I would hate to land a plane somewhere and then have a bitch of a time trying to takeoff again. With a chopper you’re in and out. There must be valid reasons for plane vs chopper, but they are not obvious to me.

Max Power 12 September 2019 07:11

Helicopters are much more expensive both upfront (purchase) and over the long term (maintenance). Also, based on distances in Alaska, not efficient so your operating costs per pound are higher.

sixgun 12 September 2019 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmc_3m (Post 1058814552)
... There must be valid reasons for plane vs chopper, but they are not obvious to me.

Payload-to-power plant ratio = costs...

...or, in another way of looking at it, $ per lb. from Point A to Point B.

Unless you have to hover in and out - the FW will generally be the more cost effective solution. Not always, but most of the time.

usmc_3m 12 September 2019 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Power (Post 1058814557)
Helicopters are much more expensive both upfront (purchase) and over the long term (maintenance). Also, based on distances in Alaska, not efficient so your operating costs per pound are higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixgun (Post 1058814575)
Payload-to-power plant ratio = costs...

...or, in another way of looking at it, $ per lb. from Point A to Point B.

Unless you have to hover in and out - the FW will generally be the more cost effective solution. Not always, but most of the time.

Thank you, gents. Now it makes sense.

Akheloce 16 September 2019 20:46

Sadly, Draco, a highly modified Wilga ground looped today and was pretty cracked up. Mike (pilot/owner/builder) is okay. I hope he rebuilds.

For those who don't know, Draco is a bad ass plane, won it's class at Valdez by a LOT. Guy spent millions on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAoDXvs

hawkdrver 16 September 2019 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmc_3m (Post 1058814552)
Ok stupid question: why planes and not rotary wings for these remote environments? I would hate to land a plane somewhere and then have a bitch of a time trying to takeoff again. With a chopper youíre in and out. There must be valid reasons for plane vs chopper, but they are not obvious to me.

One big factor is, it's illegal to have helicopters touch anything to do with hunting up here. If that changed I think you would see the aircraft ownership demographic change dramatically just about overnight. You can use them for fishing most places, but not everywhere.

Max Power 17 September 2019 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akheloce (Post 1058815161)
Sadly, Draco, a highly modified Wilga ground looped today and was pretty cracked up. Mike (pilot/owner/builder) is okay. I hope he rebuilds.

For those who don't know, Draco is a bad ass plane, won it's class at Valdez by a LOT. Guy spent millions on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfctWAoDXvs

Damn, that was a bad ass plane. I'm sure he'll rebuild it, improving it (somehow) in the process.

sixgun 17 September 2019 13:11

I logged a couple of skydives from a Wilga in FRG in the late 80's...

I wanted to bring one home with me when I DEROS's :biggrin:

There was an operator in Edmonton in 1978 that put a PT6 in a Beaver - that was the shit at that time...

JAFO 17 September 2019 15:10

I'm actually at Maule Flight Inc. today. Cool little STOL airplane.

low&slow 16 October 2019 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkdrver (Post 1058815183)
One big factor is, it's illegal to have helicopters touch anything to do with hunting up here. If that changed I think you would see the aircraft ownership demographic change dramatically just about overnight. You can use them for fishing most places, but not everywhere.

For me itís the $500 per flight hour, out of KFDK. :eek:

KW Driver 17 October 2019 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by low&slow (Post 1058820225)
For me it’s the $500 per flight hour, out of KFDK. :eek:

what airframe? last I looked for shits and giggles, a 206 rental was $1k/hr wet.

granted, I've never flown in or looked at costs for a R-22/44/66... but it's still pricy to run rotary. given enough space, I'd run a STOL fixed wing all day long over rotary, as a personal aircraft.

I watched the Draco build videos and am seriously impressed with him. broke my heart when I saw he'd totaled it. I respect the hell out of how he's handled it.

RemTech 17 October 2019 14:54

"I'm actually at Maule Flight Inc. today. Cool little STOL airplane."

That's pretty cool JAFO, I used to pass by there on my way to our plant in Moultrie. Always meant to stop in and look around but never got around to it.

low&slow 20 October 2019 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by KW Driver (Post 1058820364)
what airframe? last I looked for shits and giggles, a 206 rental was $1k/hr wet.

granted, I've never flown in or looked at costs for a R-22/44/66... but it's still pricy to run rotary. given enough space, I'd run a STOL fixed wing all day long over rotary, as a personal aircraft.

I watched the Draco build videos and am seriously impressed with him. broke my heart when I saw he'd totaled it. I respect the hell out of how he's handled it.

R44 from Advanced Helicopter; could get away a little cheaper with the R22. I will do some rotor work once IFR certified. I am mostly interested in STOL for mission work in remote areas.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved