SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

ContinentalOp 8 June 2007 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Corporate Guy
Snakes in Suits

I just finished reading that, and was moving on to Hare's "Without Conscience." Both good reads.

The Corporate Guy 8 June 2007 10:04

I read "Without Conscience" first...good read (if you're into this stuff).

ContinentalOp 8 June 2007 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Corporate Guy
I read "Without Conscience" first...good read (if you're into this stuff).

Yeah, I've been picking up a lot books by Hare and John Douglas lately. Not sure why. Need to cut it out soon, as I'm becoming somewhat disenchanted by how many folks I know that fit the profiles.

MixedLoad 8 June 2007 12:11

"Global Financial Warriors" by John B. Taylor.

"The untold story of international finance in the post 9-11 world".

So far it is a very interesting book, because it opens up a whole new dimension into the GWOT, which I was aware of but didn't understand more intricately. I have a newfound respect for the people behind the scenes, stopping the cashflow of Terrorist organizations in order to stop further attacks from happening.

Thor 8 June 2007 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by guns
Right now I am in the middle of "The Frogmen of World War II". Great read so far.

Is this the one?
The frogmen of World War II: an oral history of the U.S. Navy's underwater demolition teams.
Cunningham, Chet.
Pocket Star Books, 2005 ISBN: 0743482166; 9780743482165

cite from www.worldcat.org

Jason113 9 June 2007 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim
I'll never look at a storm drain or a clown again.

Just finished "Pearl Harbor"- Newt Gingrich(Copy signed by Newt).

A very interesting look at the Japanese mindset, pre Pearl Harbor

Finished "The Places in Between" last week.

I also recently read "The Fair Tax" book by Neal Boortz.

I highly recommend it to anyone.

Taxes seem of little importance with so much else to focus on in this election cycle, but they will eventually be a hot topic again, and I am really starting to like the Fair Tax movement.

I finished that nook in about eight hours and was scared as hell when I was done.

The fact that it was almost three in the morning didn't help either.

guns 10 June 2007 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor
Is this the one?
The frogmen of World War II: an oral history of the U.S. Navy's underwater demolition teams.
Cunningham, Chet.
Pocket Star Books, 2005 ISBN: 0743482166; 9780743482165

cite from www.worldcat.org

Yeah, that's it man. :)

WS-G 14 June 2007 19:19

Dockery's Latest

Saw a nice new copy of the first of Kevin Dockery's Starstrike science-fiction series (depicting a Team of Frogs circa 2050) on the supermarket shelf last night. Saw the name on the cover and decided to buy it, finished it - nonstop - in about two-and-a-half hours.

Good adventure story.

Thor 15 June 2007 20:59

Small Wars

Someone posted he is reading the Small Wars 1940 manual.
it is online in pdf at http://www.smallwars.quantico.usmc.mil/sw_manual.asp
history repeated itself.

Buckeye 18 July 2007 22:27

Just finished The Fountainhead which is an excellent boook. Currently reading Roberts Ridge.

BEOWULF81 19 July 2007 09:38

I just re-read "Blood Meridian" by Cormac Mccarthy. Quite good.

C-M-R 23 July 2007 00:23

Just finished Deathly Hallows and have started on An Enormous Crime by Bill Hendon and Elizabeth Stewart.

reconhawaii 23 July 2007 05:51

10 stupid things men do to mess up their lives; Dr. Laura
The 8th Habit; Stephen Covey
The Secret; Byrne
Momotaro; for my son...

PocketKings 23 July 2007 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEOWULF81
I just re-read "Blood Meridian" by Cormac Mccarthy. Quite good.

Have you read 'The Road?' I like Mccarthy a lot after that. Its one of the best books of 2006.

The only things I'm reading are business books for my MBA program.

Dirtpuppy 23 July 2007 07:49

"The Dirt" Motley Crues' autobiography. This book kicks so much ass. Its amazing any of them are still alive.

KidA 23 July 2007 13:36

I always keep a few in rotation. Right now I'm reading:

Thunder Along the Mississippi (about the naval war during the Civil War)

Vietnam Diary (Richard Tregaskis author of Guadalcanal Diary)

The Price of Glory by Alistair Horne about Verdun

and

The complete stories of Flannery O'Conner

Derka Derka 23 July 2007 22:31

Just finished Outlaw by Warren Kieffer.... what a fun book ... anybody else ever read it or anythig else from him?

BEOWULF81 23 July 2007 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketKings
Have you read 'The Road?' I like Mccarthy a lot after that. Its one of the best books of 2006.

The only things I'm reading are business books for my MBA program.

Yeah, I finished my classes a few weeks ago and The Road was the first non-school book I got to read. A lot going on there, I thought it was a pretty interesting, and brutal story.

I was discouraged from reading it because it was on Oprah's book list, but my buddy told me it was good, and to just read the damn thing.

Linear 23 July 2007 23:36

Michael Behe, The Edge of Evolution.

C-M-R 24 July 2007 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by reconhawaii
10 stupid things men do to mess up their lives; Dr. Laura

Why are you reading that book? Rich Lowery wrote a pretty good article on it, btw.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...49/ai_19866349

Doogie320 24 July 2007 15:11

Guests of the Ayatollah, getting reacquainted with my man Joe Subic.

Husker19D30 25 July 2007 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie320
Guests of the Ayatollah, getting reacquainted with my man Joe Subic.

Excellent book! How do you know Joe Subic?

I'm sort of embarassed to admit I just finished Harry Potter #7. Now I'm reading Demon: A Memoir. Mostly because it was written by a friend of mine, and she's pretty hot, also it's pretty good from a goth/religion/fantasy point of view.

And since I'm no longer a full-time Soldier but instead a boring old IT professional I'm digging through Troubleshooting Microsoft Technologies. Good info for you other MS sysadmins out there, but like any IT book it's more than a little dry.

Dino0311 26 July 2007 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husker19D30

They're drinking buddies. :D

Doogie320 26 July 2007 08:05

Sheeeetttttt.

Subic was in BSC. 3/20 with me. He initially signed on to be on a SOT-A but couldn't get a clearance to do the deed. So they punted him down to the SIGDET to reclass as a then 74C. After 2 years or so he up and left the unit for reasons I don't recall or were never privy to. I mean, POOF, the guy was gone overnight.

While there was exactly as Bowden paints him in his book: an over-eager wannabe. He wanted all of the CBA of being in an SF unit without any of the work. He was a sky shark, one of those dudes that you cringed to have on your stick. He always looked to impress the CoC regardless of the cost to his Joes. Besides, as a non-MOSQ guy in an E-6 slot we basically ignored him anyway. :D

There was a well-worn copy of Scott's "pieces of the Gmae" that made its way around BSC 3/20. Subic's name was highlighted throughout. The book was a libray book from one of the local colleges. It mysteriously would find its way to his desk or would be favored reading material when Subic was around.

Subic was the Cheif of Police in Williston, Fl. While there he elected to take money appropriated for body armor and used it to buy MP-5's. He also, despite department policy, would drive his police car to drill. I know he left there and while I'm not sure why I can only think that the above had something to do with it.

Fast forward a few years and he is Chief of Police in White Springs, FL. I can't find the article now, maybe some deeper Googling will work, but he's since left that job and the town council is looking for several computers that he was known to be in possession of.

All in all, I'd say the guy is a first class turd and asshat that doesn't belong in a uniform (he made a tour in Iraq with a Reserve unit) of any kind.

EDIT: Found the article relating to him and White Springs:
http://www.suwanneedemocrat.com/jasp...088085244.html

ET1/ss nuke 30 July 2007 14:12

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus

Pretty interesting stuff. Blows giant holes in the notion of Indians as tree-huggers who coexisted peacefully with the natural environment, shows undeniable evidence of civilizations more advanced and populous than the Inca in the Amazon basin, destroys the assumptions of generations of social scientists regarding Paleoindian societies, and is a national bestseller as well as being favorably reviewed by academia. Its even written entertainingly, to boot.

C-M-R 3 August 2007 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husker19D30

I'm sort of embarassed to admit I just finished Harry Potter #7.

I've read all the Harry Potter books. It's very important to know what your children are reading. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. ;)

BiblioRanger 3 August 2007 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-M-R
I've read all the Harry Potter books. It's very important to know what your children are reading. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. ;)

Did the midnight thing, when the book came out, with my 13yo and he woke up early Saturday and finished the book in 12 hours straight reading.

I am going to start the first book...soon.

Sharky 3 August 2007 22:04

The Dirty War : Covert Strategies and Tactics Used in Political Conflicts

Martin Dillon

Slick0311 4 August 2007 01:14

"Roots of Strategy" The Five Greatest Military Classics of All Time: Complete in one Volume

The Art of War SunTzu
The Military Institutions of the Romans Vegetius
My Reveries on the Art of War Maurice De Saxe
The Instructions for His Generals Frederick The Great
Military Maxims Napoleon

C-M-R 4 August 2007 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharky
The Dirty War : Covert Strategies and Tactics Used in Political Conflicts

Martin Dillon

That sounds good. Did you get it at a book store or order it from some where?

Would you give a brief synopsis?

C-M-R 4 August 2007 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiblioRanger
Did the midnight thing, when the book came out, with my 13yo and he woke up early Saturday and finished the book in 12 hours straight reading.

I am going to start the first book...soon.

If you've seen the movie don't bother with the book. Same holds true for the second and third books. By the fourth, however, the books were getting more involved and the movies couldn't capture everything. They are doing a good job of staying true to the book but can't add all the little side stories that make the books really interesting.

The books get more violent and detailed as they go along which only stands to reason since the characters are getting older and I would imagine the readers are getting older as well. I certainly wouldn't let a ten year old start with book 5 or 6.

johncasey4 4 August 2007 10:53

Currently reading "The Virtue of Selfishness" Ayn Rand, and also "How we Believe," by Michael Shermer. Both interesting, for anyone who hasn't discovered Rand yet, I would suggest "Anthem," and then "Atlas Shrugged."

JB

Kabar Toss 9 August 2007 20:32

Currently reading The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco. We will see how it measures up to Foucault's Pendulum and The Name of the Rose - both absolutely excellent.

Bearcat06 10 August 2007 02:33

Saw this at Barnes and Noble and picked it up....as it looks good....

Phantom Warrior: The Heroic True Story of Pvt. John McKinney's One-Man Stand Against the Japanese in World War II by Forrest Bryant Johnson.

McKinney used his rifle, rifle stock (after he ran out of ammo), a bayonet, a trench knives, and his fists and feet....over a 30 minute time period....to kill over 100 attacking Jap Soldiers....and lived....and was awarded the MOH for his actions......

Great American Hero......

sandspeed 11 August 2007 07:23

The Night Stalkers by Michael Durant and Steven Hartov.

While I have set aside my want to cross over to the green side and go rotary, I'm still really interested in SO rotary stuff. I'll be applying to retrain in December out of the crew chief field and hopefully into Flight Engineer or Aerial Gunner on helos, so this book is both extremely interesting and somewhat relevant to my future (hopefully).

SOTB 11 August 2007 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
....to kill over 100 attacking Jap Soldiers....

Not quite. HERE is the MOH citation. Still, what a fantastic display of mindset and devotion to the mission.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Great American Hero......

A verifiable badass....

tboy 11 August 2007 09:17

I am currently reading "What Terrorist's want" by Louise Richardson. A very interestig read into the mindset of such.

grappler 11 August 2007 09:37

While on this deployment, I've read:

Licensed to Kill
Blackwater (I want my money back)
The Lone Survivor (Superb read. Finished it, let my buddy borrow it, and after he finished it, I read it again)
We Were One (The Marines who "Pacified" Fallujah, are F'ing amazing)
and I'm working on,
My Men are My Heroes

Dirty_Sanchez 11 August 2007 09:45

I just got Faces of Freedom. It tells about one person from each state that has been killed in the War on Terror.

Todd

Dino0311 11 August 2007 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by grappler
While on this deployment, I've read:
We Were One (The Marines who "Pacified" Fallujah, are F'ing amazing)

Conner from that book is a good buddy of mine. The writer got him to a "T". I was laughing my ass off reading it, because I could hear Conner in my head.