SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

loui_ludwig 14 March 2005 01:40

Not A Good Day To Die by Sean Naylor

one-eye 14 March 2005 10:11

everyone has probably seen something about this in the news but you should get a copy anyway, amazing story!

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

What kind of stones does it take to amputate your own arm with a dull
Swiss Army knife?! Granted he made a lot of mistakes and bad decisions that got him in this predicament in the first place, but who doesn't make mistakes? Inspiring survival story!

EasyRunGent's 14 March 2005 12:32

Gates of Fire by Pressfield

Awesome book, full of awesome warrior qoutes. Superb leadership / fellowship principles.

Oziman 14 March 2005 16:00

Currently Reading:
Biography of a Battalion: The Life and Times of the 3rd Battalion, 134th Infantry in World War II by James A. Huston

Just finished:
The Interrogators: Inside the Secret War Against al Qaeda by Chris Mackey, Greg Miller
Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (Fiction) very funny

Ari

Ice H 14 March 2005 18:30

Currently reading:

Mortal Allies by Brian Haig
Debating the Archaeological Heritage by Robin Skeates
The Stuart Age. England 1603- 1714 by Barry Coward + at least 4000 other pages in both Archaeology and History.

Recently finished:

Honeymoon and 3rd Degree by James Patterson
Seizure by Robin Cook
Art, Artefacts and Chronology in Classical Archaeology by William R. Biers
Roman Sculpture by Diana E.E. Kleiner
Greek Architecture by A.W. Lawrence
Art and Myth in Ancient Greece by T.H. Carpenter
The Interpretations of Cultures by Clifford Geertz

clayton 26 March 2005 01:33

Currently reading SHADOW WAR, Minter, TRUMP(probably will not finish), SAM WALTON(just finished)

Best book yet- CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR, George Crile
tied with LOW LEVEL HELL, Ltc. Col Hugh Mills

clayton 26 March 2005 01:35

OOOps, SHADOW WAR is by Richard Miniter

Beowulf 26 March 2005 19:49

What's in My library

Finished "Gates of Fire" last year and got hooked on Steven Pressfeild. I'm now reading "Tides of War" and I bought his newest book "The Virtues of War." I am also reading the "Home Team:Undeclared War" by MasterChief Dennis Chalker USN (ret) and it's pretty good. Waiting for the next Rogue Warrior book "Vengence" to come out, thought that last one was pretty entertaining and should've been a movie. Also waiting for Dick Couch's new book coming out this year too. Also on the list for reading to to be read are:

Paradise Lost by John Milton
The Inferno by Dante Alighieri
Corporate Warriors: The Rise of the Privatized Military Industry by P.W. Singer

clayton 26 March 2005 23:46

CORPORATE WARRIORS was pretty dry.

Also for anyone interested in the OODA loop and all, might read BOYD about the Air Force pilot that really pushed it out there. Good read...

Saxon32 27 March 2005 23:32

I just got done reading Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden for the second time and right now I am reading The Battle Of Mogadishu and the Art of War.

Phil306 28 March 2005 00:51

Operation Barras The SAS Rescue Mission: Sierra Leone 2000

by William Fowler

KKG 7 April 2005 16:24

The Code of the Warrior: Exploring Warrior Values Past and Present, Shannon French

Read it a while back and think it is worth mentioning.

SgtUSMC8541 7 April 2005 16:29

I just picked up "The Last King" by Michael Curtis Ford. He wrote "The Ten Thousand"

shark11 7 April 2005 17:01

Inside Al Qaeda by Mohamed Sifaoui, Algerian born French jounralist that infilitred an Al Qaeda cell in France, true story

WhiskeyOne 9 April 2005 12:19

Emergency War Surgery

~John

WildMustang 9 April 2005 14:26

Currently reading two books (bad habit):

Chasing the Devil - James Brant
The Society - Michael Palmer

Both boring so far...but I'll finish them.

Two favorite books - both referred to me by a close friend:

Sophie's World Jostein Gaarder
Anyway, The Paradoxical Commandments - Kent M. Keith

Most Favorite: The Holy Bible

RLK 9 April 2005 16:34

Bought and waiting to read:
Aldous Huxley-Island
George Lakoff-Moral Politics
Chris Hedges-War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning

Bought and currently reading:
Hunter S. Thompson-Song of the Doomed (dude is most def. out of his mo frackin' mind)

Grand58742 9 April 2005 16:50

Currently reading

"100 Decisive Battles from Ancient Times to the Present" by Paul K. Davis

and

"Pacific Campaign" by Dan Van der Vat

Just finished reading "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Prof. Thomas Woods, Jr EXCEPTIONAL book

and

"The Overmountain Men, Early Tennessee History 1760-1795" by Pat Alderman. Good book on the early exploration and settlement of Tennessee and the Battle for Kings Mountain during the Revolutionary War.

Bailaviborita 9 April 2005 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grand58742
Currently reading

"100 Decisive Battles from Ancient Times to the Present" by Paul K. Davis

"The Overmountain Men, Early Tennessee History 1760-1795" by Pat Alderman. Good book on the early exploration and settlement of Tennessee and the Battle for Kings Mountain during the Revolutionary War.

Did you agree with his rankings of the 100 Decisive?

smc 9 April 2005 21:28

When I have time i'm slowly reading "The disappeared and the Mothers of the Plaza". It's a book about the victims of the military dictatorship in Argentina in the late 70s/early 80s. I believe it was 10 or 11,000 Argentinans who were killed/vanished but I don't have the book in front of me. I haven't had time to really get into it (as evidenced by my lack of the facts), but I plan on diving deep into it the second I get a good amount of free time. Interesting story.

Ice H 9 April 2005 22:01

Now it's "Coma" by Robin Cook. After that it's gonna be "Deliverance" by James Dickey. :D

Dark Helmet 9 April 2005 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayton
Best book yet- CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR, George Crile

I just started that.

Doogie320 9 April 2005 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I just started that.

Ghost Wars is better. CWW will leave the reader thinking Charlie, Gust, and whores won the Afghan war.

Good book, but with some bias, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jedburgh 10 April 2005 04:07

x2. CWW is entertaining, but that's about as far as it goes. Ghost Wars is the must read.

Grand58742 10 April 2005 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailaviborita
Did you agree with his rankings of the 100 Decisive?

Well, I can honestly say he has good supporting evidence on the battles, the "Why and What happened afterwards as a result of." Plus he does footnote a few other battles as "Yes this was a decisive battle, but it wasn't THAT decisive."

I was surprised at his ignoring Stalingrad as the turning point of the Eastern front in WWII, just footnoting it as well as Kursk. Probably two of the most decisive battles on the Eastern front instead of Moscow.

Without going further and starting a lounge discussion, it is a well read book thus far with good, as good as he can get, sources. I am almost finished with it and have to say it's well worth the time to read it.

4CRanch 18 May 2005 20:49

Im reading "Not a Good Day to Die" by Sean Naylor. It seems to be relatively accurate for the small portion Ive read so far. Nothing like that foolish "Hunt for Bin Laden..."

Spinner 19 May 2005 20:53

Inside the wire : a military intelligence soldier's eyewitness account of life at Guantanamo / Erik Saar and Viveca Novak

John F. Kennedy : a biography / Michael O'Brien

The Interrogator: The Story of Hans Joachim Scharff Master Interrogator of the Luftwaffe / Raymond T. Toliver, Hanns-J Scharff

guns 19 May 2005 21:36

"Not A Good Day To Die" by Sean Naylor. And getting ready to start a book called "Under And Alone" by William Queen. It's written by Queen about his experiences as an ATF agent who spent years undercover in the Mongol motorcycle gang.

Baildog 20 May 2005 01:29

Just finished Tactics of the Crescent Moon. Thought provoking.

Just started Tiger's Way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie320
Ghost Wars is better. CWW will leave the reader thinking Charlie, Gust, and whores won the Afghan war.

Good book, but with some bias, so take it with a grain of salt.

I just happened to read the two back-to-back last year. I thought GW was very good, and CWW was entertaining, and helped provide a different persepctive.

Husker19D30 23 May 2005 13:55

'The Biggest Brother' by Larry Alexander. A biography of Major Richard Winters of E Company 506th PIR.

For less heavy reading:

'March Upcountry', 'March to the Sea', 'March to the Stars', and 'We Few' by David Weber and John Ringo. Fun military sci-fi.

Defensor 25 May 2005 01:47

The Art of High Risk Entry - Chuck Habermehl
Alot of good information - man appears to know his shit.

KKG 13 August 2005 15:07

Handbook For Volunteers Of The Irish Republican Army: Notes On Guerrilla Warfare

150 Questions For A Guerrilla, Alberto Bayo

Art of War by Mao Tse-Tung - Special Edition

Networks and Netwars:The Future of Terror, Crime, and Militancy, John Arquilla(online copy)

The 33 Strategies of War, Robert Greene(pre-ordered)

Brandinho 13 August 2005 22:45

The Day Of The Jackal-Frederick Forsythe

eltrane 13 August 2005 23:48

A Rifleman Went to War, H.W. McBride

TX teacher 14 August 2005 08:08

Splash One by Ivan Rendall. The book discusses the evolution of jet fighter combat.

Gypsy 14 August 2005 11:37

In the Red Zone by Steven Vincent (RIP) "An unforgettable look into the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people" and I have to agree. Good read, about half way through.

On deck; Inside CentCom by LT Gen. Michael DeLong, USMC (RET)

mauveberry 14 August 2005 12:29

Right now, the main book on hand (always keep several, depending on my fancy:) is called Deep Fathom, by James Rollins. He writes fantastically detailed, well-researched books about, say discovering ancient civilizations, natural disasters bringing about the end of the world-all believable. He also wrote Amazonia which was great, and Sandstorm which gets rave reviews. Great stuff, and you learn so very much about science and history.

A recent book was Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Spans from pre-Russia to modern-day Afghanistan. Very poignant, beautifully written, but like the land it is set in, very painful at points; definitely worth a read, all told.

SF_Nevabe 16 August 2005 18:37

Freehold: by Michael Z. Williamson

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

This is one of the better SciFi books I have read in a long time. For those of you socneters who love of the concept of true personal Freedom within a society, I highly suggest this book.

KKG 22 August 2005 08:15

New releases

Insurgency &Terrorism: From Revolution To Apocalypse, Bard O'Neil---I have his first edition; it has been a favorite for SOCNETers

Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife : Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam(paperback), John Nagl forward by Schoomaker---as opposed to dishing out $80 for already released hardcover.

SgtUSMC8541 2 November 2005 14:07

I just finished reading "To Rule the Waves; How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World" by Arthur Herman. I did enjoy it. It covers a very broad area of English history and does a fairly good job of it.

Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly
The author of How the Scots Invented the Modern World returns with this quite splendid history of the British Royal Navy. Probably to no one's surprise, his thesis is that the British Empire was the foundation of the modern world and the Royal Navy the foundation of that empire. By and large, he sustains that thesis in a fluent narrative that stretches from the Elizabethan Age to the Falklands War. Although definitely Anglocentric and navalist, the author has done his research on a scale that such a large topic (to say nothing of a large book) requires. The Royal Navy's discipline and food in the age of sail may not deserve quite as much rehabilitation as he gives them, but on the other hand, he is frank about the limitations of British warship design, poor Victorian gunnery and lack of preparations for antisubmarine warfare between the world wars. He also writes extremely well, whether dealing with the role of the Royal Navy in founding the British iron and steel industries (it was a major customer) or grand battles, such as Quiberon Bay (1759) or Trafalgar (1805). Good one-volume histories of one of the modern world's most vital fighting forces appear rarely; this one should rule for a while to come.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.