SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Book Reviews (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=40592)

mara 2 November 2005 18:20

Just finished "Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. It's about an Afghan-American. Thought it was a good story.

Golden Tiger 2 November 2005 21:28

Working my way through "Charlie Wilson's War".Pretty interesting so far.

Doogie320 2 November 2005 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Tiger
Working my way through "Charlie Wilson's War".Pretty interesting so far.

Entertaining, but I'd get Ghost Wars instead. We have some threads aroundhere about them.

My current is A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman.

Golden Tiger 2 November 2005 23:02

Yeah Jimbo recommended reading Ghost Wars in addition to Charlie's War in that other thread, and I'll definitely be picking it up next.

ECHO6GOLF 4 November 2005 22:55

Almost done with "No true Glory" and will start on Robert's Ridge.

ECHO6GOLF 4 November 2005 22:56

[QUOTE=Doogie320] get Ghost Wars instead.
QUOTE]

Concur. Awesome book! I've read it twice.

G

FinsUp 12 November 2005 13:06

In the Company of Heroes, The Pirate coast, The Pirate Hunter,Salty Piece of Land, Flags of our Fathers, American Soldier, Street Survival
Reading right now: Tactics for criminal patrol

CAP MARINE 12 November 2005 14:54

not a good day to die

Mugwump 12 November 2005 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie320
My current is A Distant Mirror by Barbara Tuchman.

Outstanding book.

Doogie320 16 December 2005 11:29

Currently: From Beirut to Jerusalem by Friedman (I think the title is right).

Baildog 16 December 2005 23:10

Just finished: "The Iraq War" by John Keegan ... disappointing. Not up to standard.

Just started: "Imperial Grunts" by Robert Kaplan ... has potential in the early going.

Doogie320 16 December 2005 23:53

Just finished "The Seminole Wars" by John and Mary Lou Missall.

If you have not read anything on the Seminole Wars, I would highly encourage you to do so. They were the first insurgency this country ever faced and it still ranks as one of the costliest wars in our history. It has a little of everything: small patrols, large set-piece battles, flawed politics, riverine warfare, Marines, Militia, future presidents, pissing on the sovreignty of another nation, and plenty to do for the "poor, damn infantry."

Dino0311 18 December 2005 06:51

I haven't really liked Steven Hunter's last couple, seems like he's petering out a bit.

Favorite all time, "Shogun" by James Clavell. I'd also highly recommend "King Rat".

I'm reading "Mercenaries" and "The Call of the Wild" right now.

Pavejimm 18 December 2005 11:09

Just finished Roberts Ridge. It is an excellent book with first person accounts from all of the key players involved.

Dino0311 18 December 2005 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillBrink
I agree that his last book was not his best, but dang, his other books are just awsome.

Yup. loved the rest of them. Couldn't get into the one with all the famous gunslingers teaming up with Earl.

Quote:

If you liked Shogun, do yourself a favor and read Musashi. It's even better and all based on the life of a real person who is considered a legend in japan.
It's been on the list for a long time.

FinsUp 24 December 2005 15:58

Wind, Sand & Stars, St Exupery. Following the Equator, Mark Twain

Anouar 24 December 2005 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doogie320
Currently: From Beirut to Jerusalem by Friedman (I think the title is right).

The title is right. Nice book and a good primer on ME sociology and events. I have his other 3 books in my list. "The Lexus and the Olive Tree" talks about globalization. I started it, but bought Stern's book.

Currently, I'm reading "Terror in the Name of God" by Jessica Stern.
She talks about what drives ordinary people to join extremist groups to commit religious terrorism in all 3 religions. It's a nice book so far, and I have her first one "The Ultimate Terrorists" on order.

BiblioRanger 25 December 2005 14:29

Boy, I have not been back to this page in a while.

As a librarian, it is good to see people reading. No fear of the book being replaced by the "Google project" to digitize all the books ever written. :D

I have a book on order:

Shadow Warriors: A History of the US Army Rangers (Hardcover)
by Mir Bahmanyar

It's a shameless plug for a Ranger Buddy, but I can't wait to read it.

ECHO6GOLF 25 December 2005 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baildog
Just finished: "The Iraq War" by John Keegan ... disappointing. Not up to standard.

Just started: "Imperial Grunts" by Robert Kaplan ... has potential in the early going.

I bought that book for my father, hopefully its a good one.

G

VMI_Marine 26 December 2005 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baildog

Agreed. There seemed to be a rush immediately after the President declared the end of major combat operations to publish books on the history of the war. We had "The March Up", "The Battle for the Bridges", and Keegan's "The Iraq War" to name a few. I was pretty disappointed to see Keegan get pulled into all of that.

Brian bjornsen 27 December 2005 12:53

Dick couch

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiblioRanger
With apologies to RangerCharlie, who usually comes up with this type of question.

What are you reading right now?

James Buchanan - bio
Curing MS - non-fiction
Da Vinci Code - fiction
Presidential Leadership - non-fiction
Charlotte's Web - (reading to my son)

What is your all-time favorite book?

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
In Dubious Battle by John Steinbeck
Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

Finishing school SQT2-02, good stuff...

DrlSgt 28 December 2005 08:28

I vote for Memoir of a Geisha...outstanding book...decent movie also..if you're into japanese culture...very interesting...re reading the Gates of Fire again also. Outstanding read for anyone if your'e interested.

BCoRanger 28 December 2005 08:34

Thats what Im talking about. Gates of Fire is an excellent book.

MikeC2W 8 January 2006 13:39

Gates of Fire is an excellent book.

I just finished Kite Runner
and am starting Johnny Cash - Autobiography
and also starting No Country for Old Men

Both that I am starting look pretty promising. Kite Runnerwas excellent in many many ways - even if the main character made me sick.

flzach 8 January 2006 19:25

anyone interested in seals or getting ready for buds, sqt should read dick couch books. the warrior elite, and finishing school are awesome. so is down range about seals in iraq and afghanistan.

mara 8 January 2006 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC2W

I just finished Kite Runner
and am starting Johnny Cash - Autobiography
and also starting No Country for Old Men

Both that I am starting look pretty promising. Kite Runnerwas excellent in many many ways - even if the main character made me sick.

I enjoyed Kite Runner as well. Read it on the flight back from Austin (layover in Dallas helped). I sent my copy to Doogie.

mdb23 8 January 2006 20:35

I finished Room Full of Mirrors (Jimi Hendrix biography) a couple of weeks ago......, and now I am reading The Templar Revelation and Holy Blood Holy Grail at the same time...........

Yeah, it's not the world's greatest reading, but it works.

Baildog 8 January 2006 21:51

Just finished "Imperial Grunts" by Robert Kaplan. Pretty interesting read. He spent time embedded with a variety of different SOF and Marine units around the world from 2002 to 2004: Yemen, Columbia, Phillpines, Mongolia, HOA, the Stan and Iraq.

Just started "One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer" by Nathaniel Fick, former Recon CPT. Already infinitely better than "Jarhead."

Doogie320 8 January 2006 22:30

JUST finished Beirut to Jerusalem and Down Range. Reading Not a Good Day to Die. I'll save Kite Runner for the flight home.

TX teacher 9 January 2006 08:28

Before Christmas I was reading Shadow Warriors, but left it at my parents house. I went quickly through Ollie North's War Stories II and have now moved onto 1776 by David McCollough. Pretty interesting read. I'm actually learning a lot about George Washington and how truly on the edge the colonies were to falling apart.

bosljeff 10 January 2006 13:11

18X anxiously awaiting to be shipped out (should explain what I'm reading):

Masters of Chaos -Linda Robinson
Not a Good Day to Die -Sean Naylor

Dino0311 16 January 2006 15:51

I've been working my way through "The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill" for oh, 10 months or so now.

Anouar 16 January 2006 16:11

Currently reading "The Assassins' Gate:America in Iraq" by George Packer.
It's a nice read, giving a little overview of the neocons and their drive to go forward with the Iraq war. He details the situation after the war and the high level interactions that happened between the CPA and the Iraqis. It's not a descriptive book about the war, rather the human and legislative side of it. i.e: he skipped over the 3 week invasion to Baghdad and started talking about the administration of Gen Gardner and Paul Bremer.

FinsUp 21 January 2006 18:23

The New Centurions by Joseph Wambaugh, I'm re-reading his books. Just finished, War Stories by Oliver North. Pretty good book.
Quote:

I agree, I read it last deployment. It had been passed around the team twice. Good read.

theBilldoman 21 January 2006 19:54

Just finished The Cossacks by Tolstoy. It is a good short read. Now it is time to dig into my stack of books from Christmas...first up is For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Sdiver 21 January 2006 20:03

Holding head in shame....

Just got done with the first 4 Harry Potter books, that I got for XXXX(we're still doing that, right?), they came in a box set. Then I went out yesterday to pick up books 5 and 6. Already 1/4 of the way through number 5.

What can I say....they're good books.

Dino0311 1 February 2006 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by theBilldoman
Just finished The Cossacks by Tolstoy. It is a good short read. Now it is time to dig into my stack of books from Christmas...first up is For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Man, there should be a warning label on Hemingway's books. Don't read it if you're feeling depressed. ;)

Spinner 1 February 2006 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massgrunt
Man, there should be a warning label on Hemingway's books. Don't read it if you're feeling depressed. ;)

Try one of his short stories, Soldier's Home. It can turn even the brightest mood sour.

Baildog 1 February 2006 21:39

Picked up Robert Kaplan's Warrior Politics in the airport last week, couldn't put it down. Excellent. Wish I'd written that.

pitbull03 1 February 2006 21:41

Currently reading 'Mao. The Unknown Story". About 1/4 of the way in. Informative read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...Fencoding=UTF8