SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   So who are the SOCNet Pow-hounds? (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=105864)

MixedLoad 6 November 2011 13:50

So who are the SOCNet Pow-hounds?

Been a skier my whole life but between the mil and deployments I didn't get near the chance to knock out as many turns as I wanted to.

Changed that about 3 years ago when my kid was old enough to stand on skis and get her first turns in. Ever since I've made it a point to get as many runs in every winter as possible and yes, I chase weather.

So now that I'm looking into El Nina's return for the season, I'm in prime pow territory. Had to add to the quiver and picked up some Salomon Rocker 2's with Marker Baron AT bindings. This whole winter will revolve around me getting as many days in as possible, whether I'm touring or hitting the groomers and being in BC will be about perfect for that.

Have a nice four day stint in another place planned for late Jan. If I can nail Tahoe and Mammoth also this might go down as my best winter to date.

So who's stoked about winter? I know at the very least Jong's going to be carving some turns in AK. Lucky bastard! :biggrin:

Senior D 6 November 2011 14:26

I got to Crystal Mtn here in WA a few times a year to ski and our friends have an awesome condo at Whistler where you can ski out and be on the slope. Should be in Whistler around spring break or so. Our ski season started last year on Veterans Day...

Massgrunt 6 November 2011 14:49

I loved skiing as a kid and it's one of the thing's I've been looking forward to the most about being home. My girlfriend's a huge ski bum and we're chomping at the bit to get out there this winter.

cord 6 November 2011 15:56

Looking forward to it. Just picked up snowboarding last year, and bought a season pass for Bear this season. Trying to plan a Mammoth trip too. For as bad as California is, it's hard to beat a couple hour drive to the mountain, or a 10 minute walk to the surf.

MixedLoad 6 November 2011 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by cord (Post 1058054555)
Looking forward to it. Just picked up snowboarding last year, and bought a season pass for Bear this season. Trying to plan a Mammoth trip too. For as bad as California is, it's hard to beat a couple hour drive to the mountain, or a 10 minute walk to the surf.

Dude, the State of California rocks for any kind of outdoor activity. Dream come true. The rest, well, it is what it is.

ronix 6 November 2011 18:51

I started skiing when I was three and haven't looked back since. I didn't get to ski much the last couple years on account of my knees but this year I'm hoping to get 30-40 days in later in the season. I'm lying in bed right now recovering from a double knee artho I had on Wed so I should be GTG mid Jan. I've booked this whole winter off to ski. I also have a couple of heli ski trips tentatively booked for the spring. Cant wait........:cool:

zdfg 6 November 2011 19:36

I live 20 minutes from the closest ski area and usually average around 30-60 days a year, depending on what I have going on. One lucky year I went full ski-bum and was well over 100 days for the season. A realistic season around here is from October until July. It's not uncommon for people to ski continuously year round going for multi-year streaks hitting small pocket glaciers, chasing snow patches, or hitting South America in the summer. There is a guy in Colorado with around 372 months of continuous skiing.

MixedLoad 6 November 2011 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdfg (Post 1058054617)
I live 20 minutes from the closest ski area and usually average around 30-60 days a year, depending on what I have going on. One lucky year I went full ski-bum and was well over 100 days for the season. A realistic season around here is from October until July. It's not uncommon for people to ski continuously year round going for multi-year streaks hitting small pocket glaciers, chasing snow patches, or hitting South America in the summer. There is a guy in Colorado with around 372 months of continuous skiing.

Bad...ass!

I've been thinking about how to get that done so I've got 75 days in BC lined up starting in Jan. In between I'm hitting Jackson, Mammoth and probably throwing a weekend in Tahoe in there too. Right now I'm about 15 minutes from the top of the mountain. Still waiting on the skins I ordered and I might head to Revy or Golden and ride out there before I have to head back to the grind.

Seriously considering chasing the weather down to LA this summer and giving Portillo a shot in July. Good god the stoke's building. Snow capped mountains in the western Rockies right now.

You guys should all start posting up some pics of your riding areas. I'm definitely down for a Socnet Pow Trip if you guys wanna make something happen this winter.

Hostile0311 6 November 2011 20:02

Fuck skiing. First time was in Bridgeport at MWTC on white rockets, followed by a month in Norway. If I never see a damn ski again...oh well. Must be an acquired taste. You boys have fun. Cheers.:cool:

zdfg 6 November 2011 20:06

Revelstoke, New Denver, and the whole Kootenay's snomo-ski thing is pretty unreal. I have some pictures somewhere of doing some backcountry out of Revelstoke being towed in, and hitting 6000 foot descents. Also Baldface Lodge up above Nelson is well worth the money!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixedLoad (Post 1058054625)
Bad...ass!

I've been thinking about how to get that done so I've got 75 days in BC lined up starting in Jan. In between I'm hitting Jackson, Mammoth and probably throwing a weekend in Tahoe in there too. Right now I'm about 15 minutes from the top of the mountain. Still waiting on the skins I ordered and I might head to Revy or Golden and ride out there before I have to head back to the grind.

Seriously considering chasing the weather down to LA this summer and giving Portillo a shot in July. Good god the stoke's building. Snow capped mountains in the western Rockies right now.

You guys should all start posting up some pics of your riding areas. I'm definitely down for a Socnet Pow Trip if you guys wanna make something happen this winter.

Sharky 6 November 2011 20:21

I went skiing in Kitzbuhel Austria last year. Beautiful place.

northwesttech 6 November 2011 21:00

Salt Lake City is really close to a bunch of resorts. The best part is that you can park at the bottom of Big Cottonwood canyon (or you used to be able to anyway) take the lifts up from Solitude, traverse around the top of the mountain, then ride backcountry into the next canyon (Little Cottonwood Canyon) where Snowbird and Alta are located, and hitchhike back to your car.

Also, the resorts north of SLC, near Ogden, are a lot less popular but have great snow and no lines. Snow Basin and Powder Mountain.

I don't think anywhere beats Jackson Hole for the lower 48 states.

Oregon snow and a long commute don't make it seem as fun as living in SLC did.

Hot Mess 6 November 2011 22:49

I just wonder how much better your GF is than you:confused::biggrin:

MP18D 7 November 2011 01:33

I rip a little untracked now n then.

Been a pro patroller for almost 30yrs at a Class A area..... :)

ronix 7 November 2011 02:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdfg (Post 1058054630)
Revelstoke, New Denver, and the whole Kootenay's snomo-ski thing is pretty unreal. I have some pictures somewhere of doing some backcountry out of Revelstoke being towed in, and hitting 6000 foot descents. Also Baldface Lodge up above Nelson is well worth the money!

I have a seasons pass for Revy and a week booked at Baldface in March. It's going to be epic. All this is on top of the freaky secret backcountry lines I've got tucked away here and there.

Slinger17516 7 November 2011 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hostile0311 (Post 1058054626)
Fuck skiing. First time was in Bridgeport at MWTC on white rockets, followed by a month in Norway. If I never see a damn ski again...oh well. Must be an acquired taste. You boys have fun. Cheers.:cool:

Your post..hahaha

The beloved Corps...sometimes the introductions ruin great things for those who have never done it...I am grateful I knew how to ski prior to MWTC...I would have the same outlook as you....

MixedLoad 7 November 2011 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP18D (Post 1058054728)
I rip a little untracked now n then.

Been a pro patroller for almost 30yrs at a Class A area..... :)

That's awesome.

I've been wanting to knock out my AST certs this month and no luck. Now that it's dumping there might be something lining up in a hurry. Time's of the essence!

Any recommendations on how to become a more competitive prospect to volunteer as a patroller? Been thinking about knocking out UCLA's EMT-B crash course in Feb/Mar. Figure if I get a good 60 days in my riding should be plenty good and spending a decent amount of that time in the back country will prep me physically for any tests in that aspect.

MP18D 8 November 2011 02:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixedLoad (Post 1058054951)
Any recommendations on how to become a more competitive prospect to volunteer as a patroller? Been thinking about knocking out UCLA's EMT-B crash course in Feb/Mar.

If you want to join NSPS forget your EMT-B. They will make you take OEC (Outdoor Emergency Care) which is their in-house program. I will not editorialize other than that.
NSPS does not recognize EMT anything....There is a challenge process available but have not heard ofmany passing, to include medical providers.

Other than that, if you are on the snow as much as you say, you're overqualified. The way it works is like this: Go in the early Spring to whatever area you want to patrol at and sign up for the candidate program. You will get slotted into OEC. The following season you start the area specific portion. Generally it is a one season on-hill program to learn sled handleing, area procedures, medical, basic snow safety etc. Test during the season and you're in-put on the cross and go to work.

Most small and medium areas depend heavily on their volunteer patrollers, especially on the weekends. For the line patroller, it can be a great time. Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll like it!

nsps.org IIRC...

Mike

Fire-Gunner 8 November 2011 06:20

My wife and I got back into skiing last season, after a 15 year hiatus. I used to ski at Ft. Wainright when I was stationed up there. We went to Dodge Ridge, and had an amazing time.

Our sons had never been on snow before, but they play a lot of hockey, so they had an easy time with learning.

We'll be going back to Dodge Ridge, and to Tahoe this season.

MP18D 8 November 2011 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire-Gunner (Post 1058055141)
We'll be going back to Dodge Ridge, and to Tahoe this season.

If you liked Dodge, you will have a great time at Bear, and it's not that much farther. Haven't skied there in a long time but have sent several folks there on patrol exchanges. They all thot alot of the place!!
And of course if you are in the Central Valley there is always Kirkwood!
Mike