SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network (http://www.socnet.com/index.php)
-   Veterans Issues (http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Lost Medical Records (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=131627)

Floyd 25 January 2018 19:16

Lost Medical Records

Any ideas on tracking lost medical records down after 20+ years?

St Louis and the VA both say they haven't been able to find them.

I did manage to get some records from a couple of the hospitals I was in, but that's all.

gavin 25 January 2018 19:55

1. How hard did St Louis and the VA look? How did you request the records from them (online, in-person, by mail, etc), and how did they respond?

2. Is there a specific injury or incident you are trying to find?

Floyd 25 January 2018 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavin (Post 1058701549)
1. How hard did St Louis and the VA look? How did you request the records from them (online, in-person, by mail, etc), and how did they respond?

2. Is there a specific injury or incident you are trying to find?

The VA couldn't find them when they were processing my claim, not sure how hard they looked. Luckily I had some bits and pieces ( I should have made a complete copy, but that was a long time ago)

I have previously requested the records from the VA and St Louis, along with what Walter Reed had and the hospital at Ft Lee.

I'm not looking for a specific injury or incident, I want to have them for background on my continuing treatment for cardiomyopathy that happened at rigger school.

gavin 25 January 2018 21:29

Depending on how bad you want them, may be worth a visit (in person) to St. Louis. You are young enough that your records are "non-archival," so that is an option.

You can also try a National Archive search (instead of a VA or St. Louis search).

I am assuming this is in support of a claim, correct? There are other ways to skin that cat (although I am not an expert or even close to an expert).

wildman43 25 January 2018 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 1058701551)
The VA couldn't find them when they were processing my claim, not sure how hard they looked. Luckily I had some bits and pieces ( I should have made a complete copy, but that was a long time ago)

I have previously requested the records from the VA and St Louis, along with what Walter Reed had and the hospital at Ft Lee.

I'm not looking for a specific injury or incident, I want to have them for background on my continuing treatment for cardiomyopathy that happened at rigger school.

There has been a lot of changes as to where to request records now. I PM you, I will try an get all the address where to request records as I will be working at the V.A. Friday.

Floyd 25 January 2018 23:30

Thanks Gavin and Wildman

PJ1 27 January 2018 12:43

Wildman,

Could you please PM me the information also. My bud is in a world of hurt and has no med records.

Floyd 27 January 2018 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ1 (Post 1058702017)
Wildman,

Could you please PM me the information also. My bud is in a world of hurt and has no med records.

I'd suggest contacting any hospital he was treated at directly and see what they may have. I was able to get some records this way.

I still want to find my complete file though.

rhea 27 January 2018 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 1058701551)

There is something called a case file that the rigger school itself would have kept. My lawyer requested it and it had medical records I was missing. Not sure how to request one.

Floyd 27 January 2018 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhea (Post 1058702035)
There is something called a case file that the rigger school itself would have kept. My lawyer requested it and it had medical records I was missing. Not sure how to request one.

That would help, when were you at rigger school?

wildman43 27 January 2018 15:16

Quote:

Wildman,

The V.A. replaced all the computers an my new computer an I lost all my personal files, I am in the process of retrieving them an a lot of other individuals in the office :mad:

I am trying to find a copy of the list.

foxcolt13 28 January 2018 06:46

I had my records taken by feds after Desert Storm, they came to my S1 shop and took all my records and never brought them back.I dont know what to tell you there.

rhea 28 January 2018 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 1058702037)
That would help, when were you at rigger school?

I was never at rigger school. But, if it is a service school then they would have to have records if they treated you. Have you tried to contact them?

Floyd 28 January 2018 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhea (Post 1058702171)
I was never at rigger school. But, if it is a service school then they would have to have records if they treated you. Have you tried to contact them?

No, I hadn't even thought of them having anything other then the memo I had in my 201 file recycling me back a class because of the time I missed while I was in the hospital.

Thanks

wildman43 28 January 2018 13:52

Quote:

Wildman,

JP1 I am sorry I can't find the address's where to mail them for each branch I have gone thru all my files an my back up files, on my home computer, I am starting to look thru other paper files. At one time I through I had posted the information to the site here. but no luck. I am waiting for a reply from a couple of individuals.:o

pavegnr 28 January 2018 15:46

When I got out they kept sending mine to lake City Florida. When I ask why they told me that is where I entered, exited or was stationed. I told them No, none of the above! It seemed to be the district VAMC for my location. The local VAMC ended up tracking them down. Sad part was, after my C&P they sent them right back to there. Next time I went in they had to request my records from them again.

Box 28 January 2018 16:15

In October of 1992, the Army changed how they archive active duty medical records. The other servies were a bit slower to follow suit but by the end of FY-94 all of the services changed to the current system. Prior to these dates medical records were contained as part of the overall service record. If you left service after that time period, medical records are going to be a little harder to track down if they have become "lost"

Not to sound like a broken record but, try sifting through the digital help line until you are able to talk to a human being for help -1-800-827-1000 is a VA help line number that can get you started (if you havent already tried that number)

There is a record "somewhere" since everyhting has been digital for years, nothing is ever "lost" unless the data was somehow deleted from the system along with all possible dgital backup copies. A hardcopy paper file may have been inadvertenly dropped on the floor and subsequently placed in 'file-13' but there is almost certainly a digital copy "somewhere" so NEVER be satisfied with "lost" as an answer.

Even if you need to start corrsponding with congressman or other government rep, dont take lost for an answer.

Gray Rhyno 28 January 2018 16:26

Can you submit a FOIA request to the VA & DOD for all medical records?

Floyd 28 January 2018 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno (Post 1058702280)
Can you submit a FOIA request to the VA & DOD for all medical records?

Already have, nothing found.

I've read numerous stories where records have been lost and people do a request once a year or so and eventually they're found.

wildman43 28 January 2018 22:16

deleted by wildman