Thread: The Grand Jury
View Single Post
Old 5 January 2018, 03:46
Confirmed User

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
Today, I started a 3 month stint as a Grand Jury member.

For obvious reasons, my commentary will be in general terms only.

My initial impressions, given the two cases I've seen so far, is (for LEO's): Know your shit, and be prepared to answer questions on such shit.

In both cases, I asked pretty specific questions on firearms make, model and caliber.

The questions were for legally substantial reasons. In neither case, was the LEO able to answer the questions to my satisfaction. (basic questions like "make model and caliber")

In both cases, the prosecutor was unable to answer a few basic questions pertinent to the case... we had to search documentation to find our answers... Keep in mind, the fellow jurors were simple people, yet, they felt uneasiness at voting a true bill without basic questions being answered.

In general, my advice for LEO's is to have your documentation straight, and have answers ready for any questions the GJ might have might ask with regard to the definitions of the statutes involved.

Generic example: "the suspect had a concealable firearm on his person"

My question "what was the make and model of firearm?"

LEO's answer "it was a Ruger"... ... ...

For me, since the term "concealable" was a legal differentiation, I would have needed to know if it was a Ruger GP100 or a Ruger M77.

.... crytpic I know, but a judge advised that i have required discretion in my contacts with social media...
Why did you need to know what type of weapon/make, model & caliber.

All they needed to state was the individual had a weapon,

In both cases, I asked pretty specific questions on firearms make, model and caliber.

The questions were for legally substantial reasons. In neither case, was the LEO able to answer the questions to my satisfaction. (basic questions like "make model and caliber")

For me, since the term "concealable" was a legal differentiation, I would have needed to know if it was a Ruger GP100 or a Ruger M7[/B]