View Single Post
Old 3 December 2009, 17:58
Sound off for equipment check!

I have no problem with a HA prohibiting flagpoles and flags, of any kind whatsoever, except when it comes to the US flag.

Without the prohibition, there would/could be flags of all descriptions, national origins, sizes and shapes flapping in the breeze. A general prohibition is the best way to prevent a forest of stupidity from destroying the beauty of a neighborhood.

However, one exception should be made to any HA rule regarding flags and/or poles, and that is with regard to the US flag. Limit height to some arbitrary measurement above the nearest structure if need be, but no one should ever be restricted in the way they choose to properly display our flag.

If it is truly a symbol of our nation, how can it be restricted? Does any HA have the right to restrict what Federal laws apply within its borders as well? Flags in the breeze are acceptable unless they say it isn't?

I don't see the Colonel as violating a HA restriction. I see him raising a valid question: Should any HA have the right to tell anyone the US flag has no right to fly over US soil just because they say so?

If burning the flag disrespectfully is considered "freedom of speech," why isn't flying the flag respectfully considered the same and protected as well?
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes

“So, let it rock on-“ Gen’l (R) Thomas S. Woodward, Wheeling, La, 2 May, 1857