View Single Post
Old 4 January 2009, 00:07
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agx View Post
You're right. My choice of words was poor. I think originally what I said, or meant to say, was that we declared a genocide on Naziism, ie the ideology, not individual people. It's not about people, but what they're doing. And the same could be said for the Empire in Japan.
So why did Franco die of old age?

Btw, genocide is, by definition, the systematic killing of a racial or cultural group. You don't "genocide" Nazism.

Quote:
The Japanese and Germans are still alive, but Naziism is effectively dead, as is the Japanese Empire. The emporer still exists, but he isn't worshipped as tenou (heaven's king, aka God) today.
Uh-huh...

Quote:
So, in essence, both of those ideologies were effectively wiped out, similar to a genocide. And that was our objective. Our goal in the war was to crush the enemy and eradicate the source of the problem.
Again, why did Franco die of old age?

If we "wiped out" an ideology, wouldn't it make sense that we would have destroyed the three most visible leaders of that ideology (Hitler, Mussolini and Franco)?

Quote:
Do you think it would be a good thing or a bad thing if 50% of the USA was Muslim? Would it be good or bad for the Constitution?
I don't think it would make any difference at all. Religion alone does not create behavior or culture.