View Single Post
Old 2 April 2014, 16:11
Authorized Personnel

My input will be somewhat different than I expect you will get from others, but I have made this observation over the last 36 years of lifting.

Make sure it is fun for your son and he is always the driving force. You can help him but he needs to be the one pushing. I started lifting at 14 and I did it because I wanted to. Everyone I have known who had some outside source as a motivator - stopped when that motivator was gone. To include my own son who lifted ungodly amounts of weights in college as a scholarship athlete, and now does not enjoy lifting at all because of his college lifting. I know 20-30 other college football players that had incredible talent and played great ball, and now refuse to pick up a weight because they aren't getting "paid for it."

Next - as I see you are, be cautious and smart. The gains he makes will shape his body type permanently and the injuries he incurs will haunt him for just as long. Make sure he has a reason to go heavy and does it smartly, and he has definite periods of building and recovery.

I would lastly recommend that you look hard at body weight exercise days and periods to incorporate the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) type training with bodyweight exercises. He should know that as he gets older the injuries can overwhelm the strength and he will need to be able to workout to live and not just to get strong.

CG