View Single Post
Old 6 April 2014, 09:18
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Never? I believe in a more holistic training approach, but this old wives tales need to be put to bed. If you have compound exercises as the basis of your training, you can split the body into any groupings you want and still be "functional". His function is to play football or whatever sport he's involved in. Practice keeps him functionable in that sport.

Additionally, never ignores the fact that most people are going to have natural imbalances or more dominate areas and focusing on one area can help dramatically improve it and reduce the chances of injury.

As to the original topic, I suggest that every athlete should invest some serious time into sprints.
+1. I'm a functional guy myself.

Isolation training is more of a bodybuilding thing and doesn't translate into sports all that well (I can't think of a sport that requires being strong at preacher curls...arm wrestling maybe?), but it damn sure can help you get some lagging areas caught up.

I grew up throwing hay bales and never had an issue with strong arms/shoulders. I didn't have trouble throwing a ball hard. Got to college and injured my shoulder. The cause? The muscles/tendons/ligaments in the front of my shoulder were WAY stronger than the ones in my rear delts. They put a lot of force going in one direction with not much on the back end to handle the slow down. It took an entire off-season of a lot of rear-delt work to get things more equalized.

There's a place for everything. Never say never. It's all about finding the right balance.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon